RVHD in Rabbit products

  • moni83814
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 11:01 AM
      I guess, my main question right now is, how can one prevent the RHVD
      virus to come into this country on rabbit by-products. I.E. if I were
      to import Angora wool in the raw stage, what measures would I have to
      take to ensure that the wool does not carry any of the disease? What
      kind of treatment must by-products go through to "clean them up"? Is
      a certain length of storage at a certain temperature enough of a
      guarantee, that we could warrant the wool being free of any disese? I
      have read, that the RHVD virus is resistant to freezing temperatures,
      remains active for up to 105 days in 69 degrees F and up to 225 days
      in 39 degrees F. What about the temperatures swinging back and forth
      between daytime highs in the 70's or 80's, and the night time
      temperatures in the 40's or 50's? How long would one have to store the
      wool then? Does anyone here know where I could turn to find out?
      Thank you,

      Monika