New Article J. Lab Clin Med 10-04

  • Pamela Alley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      The following is copied from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15514590

      and although technical, it may be helpful to some of the listmembers who want to know more about the biochemical and genetic aspects of RVHD.

      PA

      J Lab Clin Med. 2004 Oct;144(4):215-22.

      Pathogenic molecular mechanisms in an animal model of fulminant hepatic failure: Rabbit hemorrhagic viral disease.

      Sanchez-Campos S, Alvarez M, Culebras JM, Gonzalez-Gallego J, Tunon MJ.

      In this study we sought to determine whether molecular mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of fulminant hepatic failure are present in rabbits experimentally infected with rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV). The activities of aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase, and lactate dehydrogenase, as well as bilirubin concentration, were found to be significantly increased 36 hours after infection. Infected animals also demonstrated significant decreases in factor VII activity, in the Fischer index, and in the deterioration of prothrombin time. The concentration of reduced glutathione was significantly decreased 36 hours after infection, and we noted a marked increase in the ratio of oxidized to reduced glutathione. Infected animals showed progressive decreases in liver activity of the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase. Expression of hepatocyte growth factor and c-met was found to be progressively reduced from 24 hours after infection, during which time we detected no modification in messenger RNA (mRNA) levels of transforming growth factor (TGF)-alpha. TFG-beta 1 was overexpressed 24 and 36 hours after infection, and 36 hours after infection we detected a significant increase in TNF-alpha mRNA levels. Experimental RHDV infection also induced marked activation of nuclear factor-kappaB and a significant increase in inducible nitric oxide synthase mRNA levels from 24 hours after infection. Data obtained from this animal model support its usefulness in the investigation of potential novel therapeutical modalities aimed at neutralizing reactive oxygen species and hepatocyte growth inhibitors or enhancing hepatocyte responsiveness to mitogens.

      PMID: 15514590 [PubMed - in process]