New member seeking advice

  • Callyico
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2003
      I have just joined the list seeking info. I found a apparently healthy
      young french angora dead this morning. I just bought her from a breeder
      who was at the MD sheep and wool festival the first weekend in May. She
      showed no signs of illness last night and was her usual perky curious
      self. She was eating and playing as usual. She was approxiatmatly 10
      weeks old. I have her and another new baby seperate from the rest of my
      rabbits - all new cage, feeder and water bottle. So far all my others
      (11 rabbits) seem healthy. I live in NC and the new baby came from PA.
      What could have caused this death and what should I do?

      --
      "A change of scene, a new interest, a creative undertaking --
      these are healing medicine for the troubled"

      Dawn
      Hertford NC
      callyico@...
    • Pamela Alley
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2003
        First things first; you need to either do a necropsy on that young one or
        have one done. If you have already frozen or disposed of the body, the best
        thing to do is to bleach the HECK out of her cage and area and then watch
        everyone else like a hawk for at least five days to see if anyone else dies.

        Do not visit any other places with rabbits or allow any visitors to your
        barn whatsoever--not even your parents or best friend unless they bleach
        their shoes and touch NOTHING, and don't have rabbits of their own.

        It is not particularly unusual to see a new young rabbit die when brought
        into a new situation with different feed, climate, and routines; I would not
        recommend you panic at this point. :) :)

        HOWEVER---if any other rabbits die within that five day period, IMMEDIATELY
        submit the body to a good and competent veterinary pathology laboratory for
        a full necropsy with particular attention given to the possibility of VHD.

        Your state agriculture department is most likely to be able to help you find
        such a laboratory that won't take an arm and a leg to do the trick. A local
        vet's 'quick peek' is emphatically NOT recommended if you want a really
        accurate answer as to cause of death--they just don't have the necessary
        equipment to do the needed testing.

        GOOD LUCK!!

        Pamela Alley, RVT
        Director, Rabbit Industry Council