Importations from New Zealand

  • HSwartz624@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1 7:48 AM
      Hello!

      In determining how VHD is coming into this country, what about all the wool,
      lamb meat and other agriculture products imported from New Zealand. Perhaps
      someone has already investigated the possibility of VHD coming in from New
      Zealand. It came in from somewhere or is here and not diagnosed but being
      transmitted without a necropsy or diagnosis. It is possible that rabbits
      coming into the US from Europe for show purposes that were vaccinated but not
      within the time frame necessary to be safe (within four weeks), that we have
      not looked at that closely enough or perhaps we have. I have received so
      much information, discussion and perceived ideas of how this disease entered
      the US, that I have forgotten much of it. I am interested in knowing how it
      arrived in the country, how it was transmitted and how it is being
      controlled.

      Helen A. Swartz
    • Simeon Nevel
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3 11:33 PM
        On 1 Feb 2002 at 10:48, HSwartz624@... wrote:

        > In determining how VHD is coming into this country, what about all the wool,
        > lamb meat and other agriculture products imported from New Zealand. Perhaps
        > someone has already investigated the possibility of VHD coming in from New
        > Zealand.

        It it possible (but not easy) to extract this sort of information from the
        United States International Trade Commission web site at:

        http://dataweb.usitc.gov/

        You first have to identify the Harmonized Tarriff Schedule codes for the
        commodities in question at:

        http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff2001.asp

        You can search for any imaginable product subject to import tarriffs. Click
        around once you get the list of HTS codes and you can see the information for
        a particular product sliced and diced in a variety of ways.

        After setting up a free account, you can also generate a customized reports
        following the procedures starting at:

        http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/user_set.asp

        I started this research a *long* time ago when I first learned about the RHD
        threat, but I must say the on-line tools have improved quite a bit since I
        last looked into it.

        For example in the 2nd quarter of 2000:

        166,000 live rabbits were imported from Canada

        156,000 KG of rabbit meat was imported from China

        840,000 raw rabbit and hare furskins were imported from Argentian,
        Belgium, France, Spain and the United Kingdom

        292,000 tanned rabbit and hare furskins were imported from Brazil,
        Canada, China, the Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary,
        Italy, Poland, Spain and the Ukraine.

        125 KG of combed or carded angora rabbit hair was imported from
        France, Italy and Peru

        You can even get the data in form suitable for importation into spreadsheet
        programs.

        Have fun!

        Simeon
        --
        snevel@... =-=-=-=-=-= A rabbit is just an angel with big ears
        Send mail with Subject: send index to get a listing of files available from