Fw: Emergency Management Warning : Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease (ViralHemorrhagic Disease of Rabbits ) in Flushing, New York

  • Pamela Alley
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2001
      From: <EMOC@...>
      To: <AMT@...>; <VS_Management_Team@...>;
      <VSAreas_CR@...>; <VSAreas_NR@...>;
      <VSAreas_SER@...>; <VSAreas_WR@...>;
      <VS_OS_Chiefs@...>; <Beverly.J.Schmitt@...>;
      <Thomas.O.Bunn@...>; <Arthur.J.Davis@...>;
      <Thomas.S.McKenna@...>; <Jere.L.Dick@...>;
      <Jose.R.Diez@...>; <Steve.Scott@...>;
      <Aida.M.Boghossian@...>; <Frank.H.Kriewaldt@...>;
      <Ian.B.Stewart@...>; <Dave.D.Wilson@...>;
      <tmg1@...>; <Nathan.G.Birnbaum@...>;
      <Steve.N.Smith@...>; <Linda.Detwiler@...>;
      <Barbara.A.Bischoff@...>; <Ty.J.Vannieuwenhoven@...>;
      <Mark.E.Teachman@...>; <Dawn.D.Youngling@...>;
      <Dianna.L.Herbert@aphi
      Cc: <BUCKEYE1@...>; <rnrq@...>; <vhd@...>;
      <suesmith@...>; <gennyg@...>; <cmg@...>;
      <Kevin2001arba@...>; <Jeffry.Huse@...>;
      <lcorcoran@...>; <pcalle@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 2:11 PM
      Subject: Emergency Management Warning : Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease
      (ViralHemorrhagic Disease of Rabbits ) in Flushing, New York

      > Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Confirmed in a Captive Exotic Animal Facility
      in
      > Flushing, New York
      >
      > Two out of six rabbits on exhibit in the domestic animal section at a
      > captive exotic animal facility were found dead on Saturday, December 1 and
      > Sunday, December 2, 2001, respectively. Two additional rabbits were in an
      > off exhibit area for a total of eight rabbits in the collection. This is
      > not considered a zoonotic disease. Animals were necropsied by zoo
      > pathologists and lesions consistent with rabbit hemorrhagic disease (RHD)
      > were found. Samples from the dead rabbits were sent to the Foreign Animal
      > Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (FADDL) on Plum Island, NY. Test results
      > were positive by hemagglutination on one rabbit and negative on the other
      > on Friday, December 7, 2001. A third exhibited rabbit died on Sunday,
      > December 9, 2001.
      >
      > The remaining rabbits were quarantined and isolated from other animals.
      > The five remaining rabbits were euthanized on Monday, December 10, 2001,
      > and additional samples will be sent to FADDL. Cleaning and disinfection
      of
      > the area will be done.
      >
      > From the epidemiological data gathered so far, the source of the virus is
      > unknown.
      >
      > APHIS, Veterinary Services (VS), the State Department of Agriculture of
      New
      > York, and facility managers are working together to address this
      situation.
      > VS will assist the affected State in the depopulation and cleaning and
      > disinfecting of the premises.
      > VS will also investigate reports of suspect RHD as part of its foreign
      > animal disease surveillance program and will continue to diagnose suspect
      > cases at FADDL.
      >

      > DNA Sequencing Results from the Utah/Illinois RHD Outbreak in August 2001
      >
      > The sequence alignments were taken from the polymerase region of the RHDV
      > genome. It showed distinct differences between the 3 isolates (Mexico,
      > Korea, Utah) and the Iowa isolate. The sequence pair distance of the 3
      > isolates had percent similarities of over 95% while the Iowa isolate
      > differed more from the others. The biggest difference was between the
      Iowa
      > and the Utah isolates at 14.5%.
      >
      > If you have any questions, please contact the USDA, APHIS, Veterinary
      > Services, Emergency Programs staff at 301-734-8073, 800-940-6524, or
      > EMOC@....
      >

      > Please forward this information to other Federal, State, and industry
      > counterparts as necessary.
      >
      > -----definitions---------
      > Emergency Management Issue is for information with no impact on APHIS
      > Emergency Management Notice is an ongoing incident with potential impact
      on
      > APHIS
      > Emergency Management Warning is an ongoing incident with almost certain
      > impact on APHIS

    • mombeanie6
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2001
        I don't remember seeing DNA sequencing in other posts about VHD.
        Does this mean there have been three different strains of VHD in the
        three outbreaks?

        Val

        I honestly don't know, Val. Seemed rather unclear; I left a message for Dr. Boghossian today and will be calling again first thing in the morning to find out just what that meant :).

        I will post all information I have ASAP, as before, in regards to this latest outbreak.

        If anyone has further info, please let me know.

        Thanks!

        PA