Foot and Mouth

  • sylvanoak@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2001
      Is VHD similar to Foot and Mouth in structure? I have noticed
      similarities in the way it is transmitted i. e. very sticky, har to
      destroy bug and wondered if there were toher similarities.

      syl
    • drexotic@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2001
        Syl,
        No Foot and Mouth Disease is caused by a bacteria and VHD is caused by a
        virus.  Although the signs method of transmission (via "fomites" [shoes,
        tires, etc.]) are similar the diseases are very different.

        Dr. J
        Jeffery R. Jenkins, DVM
        Diplomate, ABVP (Avian)
        Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital
        2317 Hotel Circle South, Suite C
        San Diego, CA
        619 260-1412
          Sorry to contradict, but FMD is caused by a virus...there is a really good in depth site at http://www.iah.bbsrc.ac.uk/virus/Picornaviridae/Aphthovirus/fmd.htm which I'm still wading through (and I started last month)....:)

          The rapidity and intensity of spread does indeed remind one of what we know about VHD/RCD; seriously scary, and all rabbit people should bear in mind that using routine disease control methods is a really good idea!

          We have been incredibly fortunate in that there have been no more known outbreaks of RCD/VHD in North America; here's hoping really hard that we stay that way for a long time to come!

          Cuba, on the other hand, is indeed experiencing another outbreak (or was as of two months back).  Hope they get a solid handle on that real soon!

          PA
        • SylvanOak
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2001
            Dr. Jenkins,