Health concerns nix US travel plans for July

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hello fellow Valeasians,

      In three-day's time the 2006 Capitol Connection welcomes 50
      enthusiastic Z-scalers to Rob Allbritton's "Gotthard" layout hangar in
      Alexandria, VA. Marthe and I had hoped to be part of the fun. I was
      looking forward to set up my tripods and tackle the rather difficult
      job of taking publishable photos of Rob's layout for the major model
      railroading magazines. Alas, it was not to be!

      Storm clouds on the horizon...

      Our vacation period began last week and we made a quick trip to
      Montreal to visit friends and family. The weather was hot and humid,
      just like the weather that we expect in Philly and Alexandria later
      this week. Unfortunately, Marthe began to have breathing difficulties
      due to the weather. Her asthma was starting to flare up after almost
      three years of good behavior. This was very worrisome and caused us
      to re-examine our travel plans. The last time we tempted fate and
      headed to the US when Marthe was not doing so well, she ended up in
      the emergency ward of the local hospital. Honestly, as much as we'd
      like to be with the gang in Alexandria and Philadelphia this week, it
      would be extremely dangerous for Marthe to take to the Interstates
      with her health in such fragile condition.

      Maybe one last NTS (2009 in Hartford, CT)...

      Now that she's feeling a little better, we sat down and did some
      serious thinking about our travel plans. We came to the conclusion
      that summer travel is very risky especially when the heat, humidity
      and smog levels reach uncomfortable levels. So we have decided to
      stay home, keep the air conditioning on and avoid the many irritants
      that might trigger a major asthma attack. The trouble is, future NMRA
      National Train Shows will be held in July which basically puts them in
      a blackout period for our travel plans. So no Detroit in 2007, no
      Anaheim in 2008, although Hartford in 2009 is a maybe ((8 hour drive
      which is within our comfort zone)!

      August travel plans...

      We still plan to travel to Montreal for the August train show weekend
      at Exporail. This is a 2.5 hour trip from Gatineau and shouldn't
      present any danger. We hope to make it to the Shelburne Museum show
      on August 13th (4.5 hour drive) but if Marthe isn't up to the trip
      we'll have to offer our regrets. We'll keep it on our calendar and
      make our decision the day before the show.

      Sorry about Alexandria and Philadelphia. It really is frustrating to
      have to give up on our traditional summer expeditions but I'll have to
      get used to disappointment. Marthe isn't bothered by the trip
      cancelation as she is quite happy to stay home. After all, she's the
      one who ends up in the hospital!

      Wishing you all a wonderful summer. Stay safe and stay healthy.

      Jeffrey MacHan
      Chief Imagineer - Val Ease Central RR
    • Dale & Sandra Alden
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006

        I am sorry to hear about your beloved’s health problems. The latest thing in my area is a clinic, not unlike the yoga breathing exercises as prescribed in their regimen.

        In this area, it is at Fairview Hospital in Great Barrington, MA – perhaps there is something similar where you are located.

        http://www.berkshirehealthsystems.com/health_services_level2.asp?ID=232

        The above link takes you to that service provided by our local hospital. See if there is a similar service easily accessible to your location.

        See below for a brief description of this treatment – the above link will take you there also.

        Best of luck! Have a sane & happy 4th.

        Dale Alden

        Our Asthma Relief Program has changed the lives of those who have participated in this new alternative method for Asthma management. Our program was developed in Russia over fifty years ago by a Professor Konstantin Buteyko, and is now practiced in England , New Zealand and in Australia . To date Fairview Hospital is the only Hospital in the United States to practice this method.

        The three-session program lasts for three days. During each session, patients receive two hours of training with proper breathing techniques based on the specific condition of the patient.

        The Program is designed at this time for people ages 12 and above who suffer from asthma. In order to make the long-term changes necessary for a better life; a strong emphasis of the program is on education enabling patients to better understand their condition to be able to take control of their illness.

        Our studies of our new program have shown that in the first fifty people 68% were able to get off their relief inhalers, or only use them once or twice a month.

        Patients don’t need to travel; they now have the ability to improve their asthma and overall quality of life right here in Great Barrington at Fairview Hospital .

        If you suffer with Asthma and think this program is for you talk to your physician and ask for a referral, and an individualized program can be designed for you.

        The program meets on the 2nd and 4th week of each month. Other appointments may be made available.

        Our Patients say…….

        "I can’t believe how my life has changed; I have gone from years and years of dependence on two inhalers and oral medication to nothing. I have control of my life and am feeling well. I can’t remember in the last forty years saying that"

        "While you were performing my daughters test on the treadmill she had a similar breathing difficulty as when she is running in soccer, while I was not glad to see my daughter struggle I was glad to see someone else witness exactly what happens to her. With your new training program my daughter is now running full field with minimal difficulty. I can’t thank you enough for sharing this technique with my daughter."

        Contact Us

        Fairview Pulmonary Rehabilitation

        Thomas Fleming
        Phone: 413-528-8600 ext. 3136
        Email: tfleming@...

        Address:
        Fairview Hospital
        29 Lewis Avenue
        Great Barrington , MA 01230

        Pyhsican's Search Related Pages

        Click for details for: BMC Pulmonary Medicine  BMC Pulmonary Medicine

        Click for details for: BMC Pulmonary Rehabilitation  BMC Pulmonary Rehabilitation

        Click for details for: Fairview Asthma Relief Program Fairview Asthma Relief Program

        Click for details for: Fairview Pulmonary Rehabilitaion  Fairview Pulmonary Rehabilitaion

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
          Jeff,
          Sorry to hear about Marthe.  My wife has asma also and living here in So Cal she gets a spell every so often.  We were hoping that we could meet you two in '08 in Anaheim and are keeping our fingers crossed that Robert Allbritton will bring his layout WEST.

          Oh, wishing a belated "DOMINION DAY" ! ! ! !

          Robert
             in
          Hemet

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Dale & Sandra Alden
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006

            Jeff,

            Your commitment to your beloved Marthe is the true type of love and caring. This is exemplary and serves as an example to me of what a true commitment is. God Bless you both in resolving this monumental issue which makes my “troubles” infinitesimal.

            Yours,

            Dale Alden