Chief Engineer is moving....again!

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2005
      Dear fellow Valeasians,

      It's only been three years since Marthe and I returned to Québec after
      three years traipsing around the West coast of Canada followed by a
      two year "penalty" for good behavior in Toronto. We actually thought
      that we were setting up shop in Montréal for good. Nope!

      A few days ago I received a phone call announcing that I was to become
      the new regional director for economic development for the Outaouais
      (Gatineau-Hull) region of Québec. My new office is right across the
      river from Canada's Parliament in Ottawa, Ontario. The promotion came
      as quite a surprise since it meant a leapfrog over the next managerial
      echelon, something like skipping a grade at school.

      The short version of the story means that we'll be moving to Gatineau
      some time in the next three months. The house is for sale and we've
      got a realtor hunting down the perfect property for us in Ottawa-Gatineau.

      The move will make things more complicated in terms of my access to
      Exporail and the VECRR. I will now be 2.5 hours away as opposed to 20
      minutes at the moment. This means that a certain amount of planning
      will have to take place when it comes to running the layout. As far
      as arranging outside excursions, the chances are not looking favorable.

      Exporail management recently contacted me with a proposal to meet with
      their exhibit designer to talk about how the VECRR will be presented
      to the public. We're still trying to set up a meeting. The project
      is not impossible but logistically much more difficult.

      The new job will be hugely time-consuming in the early stages until I
      get settled in. I just told my wife that I don't think that I'll be
      able to finish preparing the "Operations-game" clinic that I've been
      working on for the NMRA convention next July 8th. Oh well, it will
      make a great article when it's done.......

      We still plan on attending the Z Convention in Columbus. I've been
      ready for that event for several months. My CD-ROM handout is ready
      for the 100 or so participants.

      Anyway, that is the big news, employment-wise. The FUN part of the
      news is that there are a couple of excellent train shows in the Ottawa
      region and a whole bunch of great modelers. I won't be short of
      relaxing company.

      Keep your trains rolling,
      Jeffrey
    • Glen Chenier
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2005
        Wow! Congratulations Jeffrey! Hope you enjoy Ottawa.
      • Arno Bekers
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
          Congratulations for the man who gave me insight in ZZZZZZZZ. Or, in
          Dutch, Jeffrey, van harte gefeliciteerd.
        • David George
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2005
            Hey,,Hey,,Hey,,,,!   Way to go Jeffrey.

            I swapped NMRA Rail Passes with  Bob and Jeanine LaLande in Gatineau , Quebec.
            He - Bob- has been in model railroading for 30 years,,built 7 different layouts BUT for last 7 yrs has been "short on space" so he's without a layout.
             Might he be a candidate to resurrect his B & J Railroad Co. in Z scale ?
            Address is 53 rue Coallier  Apt #3

            Mister Dave
            P.S--Check out my trailer in Columbus.

            Jeffrey MacHan <jmac_han@...> wrote:

            A few days ago I received a phone call announcing that I was to become
            the new regional director for economic development for the Outaouais
            (Gatineau-Hull) region of Québec.

            Small SiZe, BIG Enjoyment!

          • jim_manley_alpha_six
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 18, 2005
              GreetingZ Jeffrey, Marthe and Fellow ValeasianZ World-wide,

              CONGRATULATIONZ, OUR GREAT FRIEND!

              You weren't kidding when you said you had some wonderful newZ of your
              own. While it will make getting to the VECRR more difficult, you will
              be an hour or two closer flying/driving time for thoZe of uZ out here
              on the BeZt Coast and PointZ WeZt. It'Z been obviouZ to all of uZ
              that you are deZtined for greatneZZ in all your endeavorZ/endeavourZ.

              So, how long do you think it will be before this egregious error iZ
              discovered, they come to their senseZ, and correct the situation?
              ReZt assured, we'll never tell (aZ long as the checkZ keep clearing! ;)

              IZ the doctoral work going to be put on hold until you settle in, or
              iZ that part of the increased mental anguish you will be subjected to
              aZ part of your new position? :D

              Good luck on the sale of your current abode and finding an even nicer
              place in Ottawa. Oh no, the hole in the house will need to be filled
              in, not to mention disassembling the garden railroad - another
              advantage of Z - minimal footprint and moving impact! Will your new
              office come with a train room?

              A good friend will help you move, but a really good friend will help
              you move a body! You know who to call when you need those bodieZ in
              the garden relocated, and/or if you will have fresh oneZ that need
              immediate "special handling" in your new location. Ahhhh, so _that's_
              how you jumped up the ladder so quickly! :)

              See you in ColumbuZ, and All Z BeZt,
              Jim and the BAZ BoyZ
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 18, 2005
                Hey there Jim,

                To what egregiouZ error are you refering? My promotion or my moving,
                or both?

                Well I survived the first week as the new boss. My phone wasn't crazy
                glued to the base although my voice mail didn't work. It appears that
                I am not alone in being the new kid on the block. I have a new,
                inexperienced secretary and a brand new big boss! Talk about caught
                in the middle!!! The nice thing about my office is that it is big and
                there is definitely room for a module. ;-)

                We haven't found a house although we're looking very hard. It may
                take a while to find the right place. The trip between Ottawa and
                St-Bruno is exactly 2 hours...just beyond my personal commuting
                threshold. It looks like I'll be living out of a suitcase for the
                next two weeks until we leave for Columbus.

                I've got all the Z convention material all set aside in a pile in the
                family room. It's amazing how many tool boxes a simple
                layout-building clinic requires. I hope that there will be enough
                room in the car for that and our bags.

                As soon as I heard the news of my promotion I knew that I wouldn't
                have time to get the DBA under way. I communicated with the Dean and
                was able to arrange a two-month extension. I should have held out for
                three!

                See you soon in Columbus.

                Jeffrey
              • Robert Toole
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 18, 2005
                  Jeff,
                  If the office is really BIG, you could lay some G
                  scale track around the desks and have a diversion
                  occassionally.
                  Robert