Welcome to February : visit from France & trip to France

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2005
      Dear fellow Valeasians,

      It's been a week since my last message to you and what a great way to
      start off another month than to have the opportunity to spend some
      time with a fellow Valeasian. Yesterday, my wife and I enjoyed a few
      hours with Dominique deChampeau and his wife, Carolin, who were in
      Montréal on their way to a winter vacation in the Lac-St-Jean region
      of Québec.

      Dominique and I first met at Sinsheim's "Faszination Modellbau" in
      2002. Since then he has become a very active member of Z_Scale and
      the "Z" modelling scene in France. His home layout, representing the
      Tehachapi Loop of the Union Pacific in the modern era, is well
      underway with the first yard tracks laid and ballasted. He informed
      me that he can actually make up trains on a "small scale" of
      course. ;-)

      The wives, Carolin and Marthe, share a common boredom when it comes
      to model trains but they are most gracious in letting
      their "adolescents in adult clothing" have their play things. I
      found out that Dominique has negociated his train space in return for
      a full kitchen for Carolin who is a cordon bleu cook. Seems to me to
      be a very good deal for both parties!

      Dominique has been working hard on behalf of the VECRR. In fact he
      has arranged confirmed display space at the 2006 Mondial de la
      maquette et du modèle réduit (World miniature and scale model Show)
      in Paris.

      Thanks to the lessons learned from our attempt to participate in the
      2004 show, we have modified our plans to make the participation less
      expensive and less complicated by far.

      1. Comexpo-Paris, the show organiser, will provide free display space
      to the VECRR and crew as well as publicize our participation.

      2. The VECRR will be on display on the last four days of the 9-day
      show. This includes Thursday (10am to 7pm), Friday (9am to 9pm) and
      the last weekend (10am to 7pm) when the attendance is highest
      (~120,000/200,000). A 4-day participation means that a crew of 2
      (minimum) or 3 (better) can handle the crowds instead of the 6
      crewmembers that would be required for a full 9-day show.

      The official registered VEC crew will be limited to 3 members
      although fellow Valeasians who are in the Paris area for the show are
      welcome to join us on an "ad hoc" basis.

      3. I'm hoping to be able to take two sections of the VECRR (VEE+VEW)
      in checked baggage. I have already successfully tested airline
      handling of a crate I made for VEW. Making a second crate is a day
      project and would cost about $100 in material.

      Using checked baggage eliminates the requirement for a bonded
      shipping agent, temporary import and export fees and unionized labour
      handling charges. In 2004 these fees totaled $4500 CAD!

      4. Micro-Trains Line has already generously accepted to sponsor the
      VECRR. I'm hoping that another sponsor or two will also provide
      assistance.

      Of course, you'll read all about the planning for the Paris 2006
      AdventureZ. There's always something in the workZ at the VECRR.

      Best,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      Chief Imagineer
    • jim_manley_alpha_six
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2005
        Hi Jeffrey,

        Me! Me!! Please pick me!!! And Terry! We wanna crew for you!
        Well, at least I do, Terry may have better thingZ to do that week.

        Since the Atlantic is still a mighty puddle to jump, even for
        airliners, I suppose I'll have to break down and buy an airline ticket
        (I'm sure the Z Scale group would pitch in to make it a one-way
        ticket, at no cost to me! :) That is, unless Dominique can get me
        into baggage on one of his airline's flights from the West Coast
        (assuming they have any - actually, anywhere in the U.S. would save
        money).

        Dominique, was this the vacation trip you were originally hoping to
        make to California going all the way back to last June, then the Fall,
        then the Winter ... ? The Bay Area Z Module Cooperative/Group/Gaggle
        would love to host you and yours whenever you can make it out this far
        West (and go see the Tehachapi Loop in person for an update on the
        scenery :)

        All Z BeZt,

        Jim

        P.S.: Is this the same 2006 that you may finally go to Japan in
        August, or is this an either/or choice (assuming that Japan is still
        somewhere in the vicinity of appearing on the Grand Map of
        Invitations-Only sometime during our life expectancies - strung
        end-to-end, even)?

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2005
          Hi Jim,

          Haven't heard from Kato USA re: JAM since last March... March 2004
          that is! You already provided some insight into the Japanese concept
          of "soon" being anything in the next 100 years ;-) Maybe we'll get a
          chance to travel to Tokyo with the VEC in our lifetimes but I'll be
          very happy just to pull off the Paris 2006 trip. With Dominique's
          help and the enthusiastic participation of crewmembers like yourself,
          the chances are good that one or two sections of the VECRR will be
          part of the Mondial de la maquette et du modèle réduit in April 2006.

          Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for your very welcome offer to
          join us in "la ville lumière". BTW Dominique insists that we spend a
          few days at his Burgundy château playing with his layout. Talk about
          an offer that's impossible to refuse!

          Take care,
          Jeffrey
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2005
            Dominique, was this the vacation trip you were
            originally hoping to
            make to California going all the way back to last
            June, then the Fall,
            then the Winter ... ?

            Hi Jim, unfortunately I'm not able to plan a trip to
            California now, and unfortunately it's unlikely I'll
            be even able to come in 2005, because as a married guy
            now, I have to deal with the wife, who is not a
            railfan nor a modelrailroader, like most women (but as
            she encourages me with my tastes and hobbies I can't
            argue!)!

            But as I'm missing more and more California (as my
            airline has had switched off California flights for 2
            years now) I'll deal with my wife a 4 to 5-day trip in
            LA or SFO area maybe on next year....

            Dominique