Open house draws 400

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi Gang,

      The weather was perfect and the visitors numerous at the first
      annual "Gardenvale Short Line" open house held in the MacHan / Simard
      garden last August 29-30. More than 400 smiling and enthusiastic
      neighbours and friends, new and old, joined Marthe, my sister-in-law,
      Muguette and me to watch our 4 trains glide over the Gn3 layout and
      to explain the finer points of building a wonderful garden w/ponds &
      tracks in 6 weeks.

      The weekend was exciting to say the least but even more fun for
      Marthe and me was the visit the week before the open house by the
      editor of the local weekly newspaper (Journal de Saint-Bruno) along
      with his staff photographer. They were so amazed by the GSL and the
      VECRR (yes they visited the indoor layout too) that they spent 2.5
      hours with us. The editor had so much material that he produced 3
      articles that were printed in the Saturday August 30 edition. The
      paper even ran my photo on the front page. The articles covered the
      GSL, the VECRR and an intriguing human-interest piece on how Marthe
      rekindled my passion for model trains. It was called, "Taming the
      Monster", a reference to my reaction when Marthe surprised me with my
      old model train collection for my 30th birthday. I told her that she
      didn't know the monster that she had just awoken!

      The open house was so successful in fact that we're planning a
      special holiday open house in December. Hopefully there won't be too
      much snow and the special Santa Claus train will be able to make it
      around the trackage under the twinkling Xmas lights.

      See the home page of the VECRR for a photo of the front page. It's
      also in the photos section.

      Chief Imagineer
      VECRR and the Gardenvale Short Line
    • Glen Chenier
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
        Congrats on a successful event! That's a fine picture on the front
        page. This is the sort of thing that will draw newcomers to the
        hobby; i suspect many still think of model trains as 'toys on the
        floor' and don't realize the opportunities for their creative side
        until they see an actual fully sceniced scale layout in operation.
        Then the mindset switches from 'toy' to 'serious adult hobby'.