Re: The power of suggestion

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2002
      --- In VECRR@y..., "simialek" <simialek@y...> wrote:
      > Think California. Think San Francisco. Think California...

      Ah yes, the power of suggestion. Speaking of sunny California
      and foggy San Francisco, you'll notice from the VECRR event
      map:

      http://www.val-ease-central.com/Map_citiesN9.jpg

      that the crew spent some time on the West Coast, even made it
      to San Jose, a "stone's throw" from SF, for the 2000 NMRA
      National Train Show. Although I didn't mention Redding, CA on
      the map, I did show the VECRR to a curious group of customers
      at the Mailboxes outlet while we were packing the layout for the
      trip to Toronto at the time. Since it was not a train show and the
      layout was not operating, it would not be appropriate to list
      Redding, nor Winnipeg, Manitoba where I also popped open the
      suitcases to show family members on the way to St. Paul, MN for
      the 1999 National Train Show.

      As you can see from the map, the VECRR has added Florida
      and Alabama to the growing list of new places where the trains
      of the VECRR have entertained crowds. The white area shows
      Vermont where Marthe and I will take the VEC for a spin next
      September 28 for the Saturday only. I approached Nillo Korpi
      who is organizing the 18th annual Train Fair in Rutland, Vermont
      and he accepted to allow me to participate in the show.

      The number of train shows in Vermont is rather small and I was
      eager to go to VT now rather than risk being refused by the
      organizers of the Burlington train show.

      I have been looking into shows in Maine for next year and I have
      found two that are interesting. I'm setting my sights on the 3rd
      annual Train, Toy and Dollhouse Show in Portland, ME to be
      held next September at the Army Armory in Portland. I am not
      planning to participate in any GATS events next year. What a
      surprise! Somewhere along the line I'd like to add a dash of
      green on the map for a show in New Brunswick, and maybe
      even Nova Scotia.

      2003 shows on the schedule:

      Amherst Model Railroad Society "BIG" Train Show in West
      Springfield, MA on the first weekend of February. Confirmed.

      Comexpo "Modelexpo mondial" in Paris, France in April (if I can
      get things arranged for 2003, if not 2004). Negociations
      underway.

      NMRA National Train Show 2003 in Toronto, Ontario from July
      17-19, 2003 at the International Centre. Confirmed.

      Canadian Train Museum model train show in Delson, QC in the
      2nd weekend in August. It's only 20 miles from my home and it's
      for a good cause.

      Portland Train, Toy and Dollhouse Show at the Portland Armory
      in late September (before the snow flies). Subject to acceptance
      by the show management.

      Montreal Train Show in support of Sun Youth Charities at the
      Montreal Hippodrome in late November or early December.

      That's it, 6 shows, including Paris if I'm lucky.

      As for returning to the West Coast, plans are still afoot to attend
      the 2004 National Train Show in Seattle, WA in July 2004. I will
      have to ship the VECRR via ground but the shipping case should
      protect the layout adequately from rough handling by Fedex or
      whomever will be handling the show.

      So, if you really want to see the VECRR why not join us in
      Toronto next year or fly up to Seattle in 2004?

      BTW, see the updated articles in the 'Files - articles - Ztrack'
      section.
    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
        >I am not
        >planning to participate in any GATS events next year. What a
        >surprise!

        Jeffrey - Is this based on your and Marthes bad experience last month - or
        are you just sticking with "bigger" shows???

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
          Hi Ted,

          The answer is a combination of five factors:

          1. our bad experience at the last GATS. The show
          management showed complete ineptitude concerning the
          quality of the venue and their neglect in sending
          email notices to exhibitors warning of the lack of AC
          contributed to our loss of confidence in the
          organization,

          2. the general quality of exhibits and the attendance
          numbers at GATS has steadily declined IMHO over the
          past year. The GATS is not far from being a secondary
          show to better run local events such as the Amherst
          BIG train show,

          3. I want to take the VEC to places (states and
          provinces) that are new for me. Silly as it may seem,
          I really enjoy adding a new colour to my VEC travels
          map. It is for that reason that I'm not interested in
          going to the GATS in Buffalo or Syracuse, NY. There
          are no relatively close shows taking place in NEW
          territory for us in the 2003 GATS schedule. I did
          look at the Providence, RI show but then I finally
          woke up and realized that it takes place in March
          2003. This is a high risk period for winter storms so
          I scratched it off the "possible" list.

          My show plans are to add Maine to the map in 2003. At
          the moment GATS has only listed shows until the end of
          June 2003 and they don't have anything of interest so
          far. I'll wait and see what the second half of the
          calendar has to offer but I have pretty much decided
          that GATS is out of the running for 2003.

          I may return to a Greenberg Show in NJ or attend a
          Great Scale Train Show in Timonium, MD in the next
          couple of years. I'd also like to do the Hobby Model
          Expo in Chicago, IL but only with the help (financial)
          of the show management or a major sponsor or two.

          4. Larger shows are definitely attractive especially
          high profile events like the National Train Show and
          West Springfield, MA. The NMRA is playing with the
          idea of holding 2 NTS's a year. This is a money-grab
          and not likely to get me to attend the second show. I
          have plans to attend the next 3 NMRA National Train
          Shows (Toronto - 2003, Seattle - 2004, Cincinnati -
          2005 which should take total ridership over 1,000,000
          and signal the retirement of the VECRR).

          Strange, I vaguely remember promising myself to reduce
          the number of shows to 5 a year. Just the opposite
          has taken place...I have 8 shows this year, up from 6
          last year and would have been 9 had I not cancelled
          Ottawa in October! This is supposed to be a hobby not
          a part-time travelling circus! I think I've said it
          before...I LOVE going to train shows and meeting the
          people who LOVE "Z".

          5. The trip to Germany was sooooo much fun that I am
          working seriously to return to Europe in the next 24
          months. It will take me that long to gather the funds
          to make it feasible and probably to convince another
          major show group that I'm, sorry, the VECRR is worth
          the investment. ;-)

          Paris, France is at the top of the list followed by
          London, UK. As you can imagine, these events require
          a large committment in time and money. Micro-Trains
          Line has already promised their support for a future
          European adventure. To make such a trip viable
          however, I really need the show organization to
          participate financially. I consider that the chances
          of a second trip happening are about 50-50.

          Summing up, here is the priority scale:

          1. 1 major international event (funds permitting)
          2. 2 major NA shows (NMRA NTS and West Springfield)
          3. 2 local events (Montreal "Sun Youth" charity show
          and Canadian Train Museum in Delson, QC)

          That makes 5 although if #1 doesn't happen I can
          substitute a regional event. There are at least a
          dozen train shows in Quebec now so there is no lack of
          choice.

          Thanks for asking!

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey McHan
          Logistics coordinator - VECRR

          --- ted_lamar@... wrote:

          > >I am not
          > >planning to participate in any GATS events next
          > year. What a
          > >surprise!
          >
          > Jeffrey - Is this based on your and Marthes bad
          > experience last month - or
          > are you just sticking with "bigger" shows???

          HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
          http://www.hotjobs.com