Re: Re : [VECRR] Spring 2013

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11 5:58 PM
      Hello Dom

      Good to hear from you. I promise to get in touch before my next trip to Europe (which is planned for 2014 if things go as planned).

      Any Z projects?

      Nothing in terms of a layout but I still hope to finish the NMRA Master Railroader requirements for scratch-built rolling stock. Some of the models are and will be in Z. I also have the materials to complete some hand-laid trackage in Z for the Civil Engineering certificate.

      My current childish pursuits are piloting a quadcopter drone and learning to fly using First Person View telemetry. I consider myself to be an accomplished "line of sight" drone pilot but it is a whole other ball game when flying from a virtual pilot's seat. My drone is large enough to carry a GoPro Hero 3 video camera with about 15 minutes worth of flight time on a 5000 mAh lipo battery.

      As far as model railroading is concerned, I have a very enjoyable Austian alpine themed HOe mini-layout (two connected Delsey hardshell suitcases like the VECRR) which is fully scenicked, lighted, detailed and DCC-powered. I always have some small projects for the layout but it is basically 100% complete. Since the layout is in my study, I tend to enjoy it more as a work of art than as a model railroad.

      My locomotives and rolling stock are Liliput and Roco (all short wheelbase and able to negociate the layout's ultratight 6 inch radius curves. From the start I decided to use Peco N flextrack and electrofrog turnouts. Although not prototypical tie spacing, once ballasted and weatherd the track looks great to me. Besides, who is there to criticize?

      Hope all is well with you.

      Take care
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12 12:29 PM
        Hi Jeff! Looking fwd to seeing you when you come here! Indeed I'm still involved with Z scale, still (very) slowly working on a small layout depicting SW of USA, somewhere around CA, NV, AZ, CO, UT and WY.

        Otherwise I have a further project, not anymore the Tehachapi Pass (I think running 80-car trains in DC, without remote helpers, on a 2% grade is a difficult challenge). Indeed my future layout will depict a remote branchline in Mexico, actually joining Merida to Valladolid, Yucatan. More thrilling visually, and more funny to operate, as more I think about modelrailroading, more I consider what I prefer is switching.

        Best to Marthe and yourself,

        Dom
      • rvn20012000
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2013
          Hello Jeffrey,

          It's nice to read that you're still alive and kicking. I suspect that, by now, the ponds are melted and you've had time to make more progress on your garden railroad. I'm still active in Z scale and have come up with some table-top modules of my own design.

          I plan to take my Z-Bend Track modules to the NTS in Atlanta and hope to have space to display my T-rail-Z modules as well. I've also discovered a railroad that uses my initials, the TP&W, and I'm painting and applying decals to Z scale locomotives and rolling stock. The boxcar and old-time passenger car I decorated for the VECRR still make trips on my modules.

          Keep up the good work and I hope to see you soon.....somewhere.
          Thom Welsch
          C&FWRR
          Message 4 of 8 , May 28, 2013
            Greetings Thom,

            Yes, I am very much alive and kicking. The garden is blooming and the trains have been running since the end of March. I had two track joiner issues that were quickly resolved with the addition of jaw clamps and conductive paste to restore the connections.

            I have gone to DCC on my indoor layout and have already replaced the first generation decoders in my loco fleet with 3rd gen DCC Concepts "Stay Alive" units. I plan to recycle the 1st gen decoders to power the constant lighting circuits in my passenger cars.

            Congrats on your T-rail-Z modules. The hobby needs new ideas and innovators like yourself. I'm sure that you will be a smash hit in Atlanta.

            As far as crossing paths, the most likely opportunity would be at NTS 2014 in Cleveland. It is a 9-hour drive from my home and would make a nice stopover on a vacation trip to Chicago (high on my "places to visit" list).

            Hope you have a great time at NTS and a wonderful summer.