Ran first train on the new Gardenville Short Line Railroad

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hi Gang,

      After several months of construction, I have finished measuring, assembling, bending, cutting and clamping the last 30 feet of the garden railroad mainline. Then at 6PM I ran a fine sanding pad over the length of the layout, hooked up an LGB kit transformer, placed my old reliable Bachmann circus 0-4-0 on the track and cranked open the throttle...

      ...lo and behold, it ran like a champion over the full two hundred feet of mainline, no slowing down, no stalling! This loco has not run in over 6 years!

      The next test was with a consist made up of a combine, a two-wagon circus flat and a caboose. The little Porter loco pulled the train up the grades with no problem. I even ran the train backwards to check for turnout problems...perfect performance.

      I still can't claim to have a fully operational garden layout, the loop inside the shed still has to be connected. I need to find another derelict door somewhere to complete the base for the return loops (three in all). Still it is very satisfying to know that my outdoor trackwork is electrically sound.

    • bob
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
        That's great news Jeffrey. I needed something positive today. It's one of those days when nothing seems to go right. At least I got positive news from you.
        Bob
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
          Hi Bob,

          Glad to have sent some positive vibes your way.

          This year's building plans for the layout did not include the water features and accessories. Unfortunately, I started surfing my local Kijiji board and found a couple of Koi / garden ponds for a fraction of their retail cost. I allowed temptation to take hold and I blasted through my budget and ordered a 2100 gallon per hour submersible pump, a 1300 gph bio / UV filter canister and a 200 gph fountain pump from Pond World.

          As a result, I will have 3 ponds and the hardware for the fountains in hand within 10 days. Unfortunately, I still need decorative rocks, a cubic yard of sand, planting soil, medium size river rocks and much more in order to finish the landscaping around the ponds. My Fall 2011 budget will not permit the cost of this material unless I find a very cheap supply.

          I have a long list of tasks to complete in the shed to keep me busy until the cold weather settles in.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
            Hi Ron,

            In fact my electricity rate is probably the lowest in North America. The main pump is 135 watts and the smaller unit is 12 watts. I plan to run the pumps only when I am running trains or on a timer. No fish in the picture to keep things simple.

            --- In VECRR@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldjhurley" <rhurley@...> wrote:

            > Hope you have some cheap electricity (in Quebec is it? hydro?) My electricity bill has been very high since my wife installed her koi pond.
            > ron

          • bob
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
              No fish certainly makes things a lot simpler. But I still enjoy having them.
              Bob