Back into model railroading, part 11
- Hello fellow Valeasians,
I have finished magnetizing my wall sections as well as two industrial buildings in Neuburg. I also placed two self adhesive 10" x 10" magnetic sheets inside the walls to provide a smooth, paintable and "attractive" base for the future "Oktoberfest" party place and other movable detail parts.
My inspiration for the magnet solution to keeping my walls and buildings in position came as I was wandering the craft aisle at my local Walmart superstore. I was looking for ceramic button magnets but became fascinated by a package of 4 "super" metal magnets. Not only were these magnets smaller and thinner than the ceramics, they were much stronger. At times I had some difficulty separating them when they slapped together coming out of their packaging!
Since the walls and buildings are hollow, it was an easy task gluing the magnets inside facing walls and placing the sections together until the glue dried or cured.
I have begun planting shrubs and ground cover here and there on the layout. The center section will require a couple of larger trees that are only "growing" in my imagination. Since I am not working to a deadline or to a plan, I can simply follow my moods.
I am extremely satisfied with the way the Neuburg section has come to life. I like the "look and feel" of the layout. The center bridging section has a natural fit and does not distract from the overall picture.
I guess I can start clearing off my desk and putting away most of my tools now that the scenery base is done and the structures have been set in place. After a while even I get a little tired of an office / study that looks like a cyclone / tornado has ripped through it.
Cheers to all,
- Good evening, fellow Valeasians,
My fertile imagination has taken firm hold and won't let go!
Following many hours of Web and eBay searching, I have discovered that my Liliput engines and rolling stock, although Era II and III, would still be right at home on the Mariazellerbahn shortline in Austria.
In fact, Roco and Lilitput both produce passenger sets for the Mariazeller railway. Roco offers a starter set with an electric locomotive while Liliput offers a Bo-Bo diesel locomotive and a separate 4-car passenger set.
My research has shown that fiction sometimes converges on reality. The key theme of the KvSB is the Abbey that sits atop the highest elevation on the layout. It is also a popular pilgrimage destination in addition to a fine brewery!
Mariazell is also a pilgrimage destination and the main reason that the Mariazellerbahn exists.
So I got to thinking...
I happen to have the Roco OBB electric loco and 4 Mariazellerbahn coaches from Euro Bahn Ottawa. I picked them up for a song from Charles Belair thinking that I would eventually find another home for them.
Just for the fun of it, I placed the MZB coaches on the KvSB mainline. They look terrific in front of the KvSB station. They will not negotiate the curves beyond Neuburg. The Roco locomotive does not have the tight turning radius that the Liliput diesel has, and it has a pantograph (I do not want to have catenary on the layout or, should I say, there is no room for catenary on the layout).
The Liliput MZB diesel is Era III vintage...fits with my design. The 4 coaches are also Era II - IV so they work as well.
My imagination came up with the notion of an interchange between the OBB narrow gauge railway and the short wheelbase Liliput and Bemo rolling stock of the KvSB. The track arrangement will allow me to run an OBB passenger consist of 1 baggage and 2 coaches pulled by the Liliput OBB diesel which I will convert to DCC at some point, assuming I can get my hands on one!
There is no place to turn the OBB loco but there is a passing siding and other options that would allow me to uncouple the OBB diesel, run it into a spur, then shunt the passenger consist past the OBB loco which would then recouple with the consist for the return trip off the layout.
That's what my overactive imagination has come up with...an imaginary interchange that uses a 5-foot section of KvSB mainline but has nowhere to go but off the layout. This is more like adding a diorama to an operating layout but why not? It makes for good photo opportunities and some operational fun.
All that is left is to see if I win the auction for the OBB MZB diesel locomotive and if that fails, I have already found an Internet store with a new unit.
Well, gang, I have reached the 50 post milestone on my "Back into model railroading - HOe" saga. In the space of 5 months I have reached several milestones:
-built a new HOe layout,
- converted 4 locomotives to DCC,
- installed 30 or so lights throughout the system,
- installed constant lighting in a 6-car passenger consist,
- added DCC off-board synchronized sound for diesel and steam effects,
- done a large amount of housecleaning and sold off a large quantity of surplus items,
- kept up a running commentary on my progress.
Sure there are some minor projects left to finish but it is time to move on.
I have spent the past week doing some very heavy lifting in the back yard rebuilding my patio and leveling my shed in preparation for my long-planned garden railroad.
I'll keep you informed as things progress <smile>.
Thanks for being part of my model railroading universe. Hope you have a wonderful summer. Drop me a line, let me know what projects you are working on.