Upcoming 2009 - 2010 events

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2009
      Good afternoon fellow Valeasians,

      I have not been away, hibernating or stuck in a spelunking accident, no I have been busy renovating my house: laying hardwood flooring (3 bedrooms, dining and living rooms, installing crown molding and repainting all ceilings, repainting all vertical surfaces, replacing all lighting fixtures, and keeping weeds and other yard pests at bay.

      In fact, things have been awfully busy since my last message in March. Then there's my day job! Even busier than at home!

      Still, one can not survive on home renovations and work projects no matter how engrossing and exciting. There is hobbytime to think about.

      I have kept abreast of the NMRA National Train Show happenings over the July 11-12 weekend. Not much chatter about the Z presence in Hartford although I heard good things about the two layouts from Dean Dickerhoof, the NMRA NTS Layout Coordinator. He always enjoys seeing the Z at the show. He knows that the crowds love the Z as well. More on NMRA latter.

      My next confirmed outing will be at the annual Exporail - Canadian Railway Museum model train show Saturday and Sunday, August 15-16. I will be prepping the VECRR for the show and hopefully taking care of some wiring issues on Val Ease East controller.

      Then I will be displaying my HOe double suitcase layout at the annual Ottawa Railfair, October 17 and 18 at Algonquin College. This layout will be my very first attempt at DCC operations. I'll keep you posted as my experiment progresses during the late summer, early fall.

      As for 2010, my plans are firmly centered on the NMRA 75th anniversary convention and national train show to be held in Milwaukee, WI, July 16-17-18. I have already provided my registration to the NTS brass so I fully expect to be at the party in 2010.

      I will keep you fully posted on developments and I will provide a complete write-up of my adventures on the Val-Ease-Central.com web site (new library additions).

      Have a great summer and hope to see you at Exporail, Railfair and NTS 2010.

      Jeffrey
    • Don A
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2009
        Jeffrey:

        Interesting read. Too bad you missed the show as there were some good layouts in many scales, but a lot of Z Folks were missing.

        More interesting that some of the NTS folks think Z is so great. One of the judges asked Mr Dave "Where was his paperwork" for the judging. Dave said he was not submitting any since he received an extremely low rating in Anaheim, and up to now he had been unable to find out why - and that was after winning TWO First Place Awards at the Detroit show. The judge said "Well the reason it was rated so low is 'it wasn't prototypical'". ....how's that again......

        ...don
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2009
          Dear fellow Valeasians,

          After another bout of laryngitis over the last month, I have finally come to accept that my days as an exhibitor at train shows are over. I just can not spend 8 hours straight engaged in conversation with visitors.

          There have been several severe bouts in the past few years. Funny how I so easily forgot the excruciating pain I suffered through for 5 days following my second day at the London Festival of Railroading in 2006.

          In fact, my resistance to throat infections has not improved since then and I often have to take a break from lengthy conversations and debates, something quite difficult in my professional capacity. My voice gets progressively weaker until I start coughing. Usually my throat gets sore in the early evening and I end up gargling salt water and sucking medicated lozenges all night. If I am lucky, the irritation passes but if it does not...I go through hell. Last year, I lost my voice for a full 4 days. Some co-workers may have found my silence somewhat relaxing!

          It is hard for me to make this break from train shows but I do not have the physical strength to give a good show and save my voice.

          I am now hoping to attend the NMRA 2010 National Train Show in Milwaukee but as an attendee not as an exhibitor. The layout will stay at home and I will try to post pictures of my progress in finishing the second suitcase section.