Last "Last Spike" delivered to Ztrack

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2007
      Hello fellow Valeasians,

      Sometime yesterday, I don't remember exactly when, I sent my last
      "Last Spike" column to our good buddy, Rob Kluz, editor and publisher
      of Ztrack Magazine.

      True, I had said that I would carry on with the column until the end
      of 2008 but, try as I might, there was no more creative energy in me
      beyond putting together one last LS. According to my calculations,
      the final curtain will come down on my association with Ztrack with
      the January-February issue. It is only fitting to end on the 8-year
      anniversary of my first article in Ztrack way back in January-February
      2000.

      Rob has told me that I am always welcome to contribute to the
      magazine. Rob is a very generous person and I thank him for letting
      me share my passion with his readership in print and pictures.

      Ztrack has been a good supporter of my ambassadorial efforts as well.
      Rob has always been enthusiastic about my European AdventureZ and he
      has also chipped in as a sponsor along with Micro-Trains, Marklin and
      Kalmbach Publishing.

      The Z scene has changed enormously over the last 8 years and I am glad
      to have been a small part of the effort to give Z some level of
      respectability in model railroading circles. As I look back, I think
      that I can safely say that it has been a productive and FUN run.

      Z scale will continue to develop, thanks to Micro-Trains, Marklin,
      Ztrack, AZL and all of the various entrepreneurs who believe in Z. I
      don't think that there will be a lot of money to be made in the Z
      market but those who do take part will certainly be living their dreams.

      Speaking of dreams, I still have to get my behind in gear and finish
      the Master Model Railroader "merit badge". In my youth I was a
      gung-ho Boy Scout, even achieving the status of "Queen's Scout", the
      Canadian equivalent of "Eagle Scout" in the USA. Boy did I have a
      collection of merit badges. I have not lost my competitive drive, I
      still want to cover my train room wall with Achievement Program
      plaques. I have left room for the final AP award and the MMR. I
      guess I have no excuses, time-wise!

      I also have a first-place medal for procrastination!!! I keep setting
      a deadline and I keep finding excellent reasons to reschedule. My
      latest deadline for the MMR is to have it done by the 2009 Hartford,
      CT, NMRA National Convention and Train Show. That gives me two years
      to complete 6 scratch-built cars and make them good enough to garner
      87.5 points in merit judging. Two years may seem long to you but I
      see July 2009 racing toward me at high speed!

      I plan to photograph my attempts at car building and share whatever
      stories there are to tell with you. Hopefully, the journey will be
      constructive and enjoyable. Only time will tell.

      All the best,
      Jeffrey
    • David George
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2007
        Hey Jeffrey,
        My best to you and Marthe.
        You have been a champion to me and many others in our precious hobby of Z Scale Model Trains.
        I expect to see you at least one more time ( or two ) because you have a built in magnet for train shows and a bon homme zest for friends.
        My pleasure to know you.
        Cordially,
        Mister Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2007
            Jeff, thank you so much and congrats for all the work
            you've done here! I look forward still seeing you
            within these lines in the future!
            All the best,
            Dom
          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2007
              I am sorry to see Jeffrey go. But, I understand fully his decision. It is hard to believe eight years have passed. Jeffrey has been nothing but remarkable in his passion and drive to write and share his stories with the Ztrack readers. For this, we all are very fortunate. The final Last Spike is scheduled for the January/February 2008 issue. The March/April 2008 issue just will not be the same.

              Jeffrey is correct, the pages of Ztrack are always open to him. I like to think we are not quite letting him off the hook. LOL!

              Jeffrey, thank you. You don't know how much your friendship has meant over this years. I think you very much for helping make Ztrack a better publication.

              All my best,
              Rob

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.