Amherst Railway Society BIG Train Show 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hello fellow Valeasians,

      September is upon us and the lettercarrier (AKA mailman in Canada) has
      delivered the Amherst Railway Society BIG Train Show exhibitor display
      contract for their 2008 show.

      I was surprised that Amherst still has me on their mailing list since
      the last time that I actually displayed at the show was in 2005.
      Obviously the show brass thinks that we are up to their standards.
      There have been a few changes to the show organization, the most
      important being the addition of 25,000 square feet of show space in a
      4th venue, the Mallory Building. All of the buildings are connected
      by covered walkways to protect visitors from the elements.

      As you know, I attended the 2007 show as a roving reporter for Ztrack
      Magazine. I was registered to display the VECRR (VES) but I opted to
      leave the layout at home and visit the show on the Saturday only. It
      was great fun being able to chat for as long as I wanted with fun
      folks from around the USA. It was also nice being greeted by folks
      who knew me from previous shows and other engagements (NMRA meets and
      NTS for example).

      Well, the Amherst organizers have reserved a table for me next January
      27-28 and I am truly tempted to accept. I have to admit that I love
      train shows and I love sharing the passion of model railroading with
      the public. I wouldn't be surprised if I fill out the contract and
      return it in the next few days.

      If I do decide to go, I plan on taking the Friday and Monday off work
      so that I am not rushed as has been my habit for the previous 3 times
      I have displayed at the show.

      The Amherst Railway Society BIG Train Show has lots going for it. It
      is the best run train show in North America, hands down. The NMRA
      team should take some lessons from the Amherst crew. The show is in
      an easily accessible venue that has no mystery for me and my crew. I
      can get there in less than 8 hours (no night driving). There are more
      exhibitors and layouts than NTS as well as more visitors. The Amherst
      show management and Society brass are hospitable and friendly. Sounds
      like I'm talking myself into going!

      Hope you all had a good Labour Day long weekend.