NTS Detroit is less than a month away!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4 1:50 PM
      Dear fellow Valeasians,

      Welcome to July and happy 4th of July to my friends in the USA.

      As a first message of the month, I would like to point out that there
      are only 23 days to go before the NMRA National Train Show in
      Detroit, MI. NTS2007 opens on July 27 and runs for 3 days. I plan
      on attending, although I will only be able to join the fun on Friday,
      July 27.

      I'm looking forward to reconnecting with the Z crowd, especially Rob
      Kluz and David George. I plan on doing an interview with both of
      them for a future "State of Z" article. Should be interesting to see
      how they view the evolving world of Z, both in North America and
      overseas. Of course, I will try to get comments from other notables
      at NTS. I just don't know who plans on being there.

      While at NTS, I would also like to jumpstart our lapsed relationship
      with the MNRA Scale Rails Magazine. A couple of years back, I
      attempted to pass my Z-Scale Rails column to another Z scaler.
      Nothing ever came of that misguided attempt...no articles...no newZ
      in Scale Rails. You just can't count on anyone, or almost, these
      days. What bugs me the most is the guy volunteered for the role and
      bragged about his numerous publications, etc. This same guy talks on
      various forums about how important it is to promote Z. HELLO!
      What's wrong with this picture?

      Enough bellyaching! The weather is too good to go off on a tangent.
      Time to feel the sun on my skin and enjoy the blessings of life.

      Hope you are all having a great summer and that you are sharing the
      passion for model trainZ.

      Best,
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19 2:35 PM
        Hello fellow Valeasians,

        A few moments ago, I waved goodbye to Helen and Terry Sutfin, my great
        friends from Vancouver, Washington, and VECRR Life Members. They had
        driven up from Dansville, NY to visit with Marthe and me for a few
        days before they have to drive back home to the Best Coast. Their
        drive across the continent is about six days, something that Marthe
        and I have done at least 4 times over the years.

        Terry will not be joining us at the NMRA National Train Show this
        year. We had the chance to talk about the state of Z in 2007 and how
        far it has come since the days when we were about the only Z-scalers
        taking layouts to train shows. Terry is very pleased to see a new
        generation of Z-scalers moving the hobby forward. The rest of his
        comments and observations will be included in an upcoming "State of Z"
        column in Ztrack Magazine.

        Anyway, Terry and Helen send their best regards to everyone who will
        be at NTS Detroit. They also invite averyone to join them in Anaheim,
        California next year at NTS2008. Marthe and I were the first to
        respond to their invitation. We are already excited about a trip to
        the West coast and we are looking forward to seeing (and
        photographing) the fantastic modeling work of our Z colleagues from
        Seattle to San Francisco. No doubt, NTS2008 will be an extraordinary
        event from a modeling perspective and a great gathering of West Coast
        Z-scalers.

        Until then, Marthe and I will be at the Ztrack booth at NTS Detroit on
        Friday, July 27th. I will be doing a little survey of exhibitors and
        visitors to the show about their impressions of Z and where it is
        going in the next couple of years. If you would care to share your
        thoughts on this topic, drop a line to this forum and I'll try to work
        your comments into the article.

        See you in Detroit in a few days,