2007 West Springfield, MA BIG Train Show newZ...introduction!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2007
      Hello fellow Valeasians,

      For the first time in over 15 years, I had the experience of just
      attending a train show as a visitor, not as an exhibitor. It was
      quite a change of pace, let me tell you.

      A friend of mine from Montreal, Quebec, joined me on the long 7-hour
      drive to West Springfield, MA, from my home in Gatineau (Ottawa),
      Quebec. My friend was very excited about this trip since he had heard
      great things about the Amherst BIG Train Show and this would be his
      first visit. His dream is to someday exhibit his N-scale layout at
      this show.

      The VECRR was scheduled to be on display but my wife's health and my
      lack of free time from work only allowed us a lightning-fast trip to
      the show. We drove down (excellent weather) on Friday, January 27th
      and wandered around the show venue on Friday night. I had my VECRR
      contract and I wanted to talk to the show manager to make sure that my
      space had been freed up for another exhibitor.

      We spent an hour and a half walking around the Better Living Center,
      scoping out the venues and getting our bearings for the next morning.
      Tickets would go on sale at 8am and the show would open to the public
      (me!) at 9am.

      Our hotel (Days Inn) was only a mile from the Eastern States
      Exhibition so we decided to go whole hog and dine out at Longhorn
      Steakhouse. We weren't the only ones with that idea. Fortunately the
      wait was only 45 minutes and not the hour that the greeter announced
      at our arrival. Although I only had one day off work, this little
      trip was feeling like a true vacation. Once I tucked into my 18-ounce
      prime rib, work was a distant memory!

      Stay tuned for a full report on the Amherst Railway Society BIG Train
      Show 2007, from a Z-scale perspective...