Paris Hobby Show update - interesting but disconcerting developments

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2006
      Hello fellow Valeasians,

      As you know, I have been keeping my eye on the Paris - Salon
      International de la Maquette (International Model Showcase - Paris)
      for several years now. Dominique deChampeau and I have been in
      occasional contact with the show organisers who are aware that my crew
      and I are interested in taking the VEC to Paris. Two years ago I was
      actually registered to attend, had a substantial crew lined up, had
      hotel and airline reservations and had one foot out the door when
      illness in the family forced me to cancel at the last minute.

      The VEC and I reached London this past April and Paris is still on the
      drawing board. Just since last August, Terry Sutfin has joined
      Dominique as prospective crewmembers for the planned Paris adventure.

      Knowing that the Paris show runs on the week leading to and including
      the Easter long weekend, the next workable date for me is 2008 due to
      having to coordinate work-related issues such as being able to get
      time off work and being able to pay for the trip. However, although I
      am not in any position to attempt to attend the 2007 show I am still
      very much interested in keeping up to date on happenings at the Paris
      show...and something very interesting has gotten my attention.

      Two very important changes have taken place in the 2007 edition of the
      show. First, the show, which had been shortened to 5 days in 2006
      from its traditional 9 days, has been lengthened to 10 days! That is
      quite the long event. Most major hobby shows are 5 days or less. The
      second major change is a change in venue. The show has left the Porte
      de Versailles exhibition centre and has moved to the Le Bourget
      airport exhibition centre. This is on the opposite side of the city
      from the old spot and much farther from city centre.

      So what? you ask. Well, I'll tell you...in just a little
      while...after I take care of the supper veggies I have simmering and
      which I can smell taking on a distinctly over cooked aroma! Be back
      soon.........
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 18, 2006
        Hello fellow Valeasians,

        Well, here I am, wide awake at 3am from an overdose of cafeine
        consumed while trying to prevent drowsiness during a long night-time
        drive home through the rain. So might as well complete the previous
        post which I left hanging due to a pot of simmering veggies. They
        turned out perfect, after all!

        My concern about the changes to the Paris venue and duration was that
        there was a chance that the new general manager might not be as
        amenable to granting me and my team permission to display for the
        Easter long weekend. When the show was 5 days in length, as in 2006,
        it seemed like a reasonable request to appear for 60% of the show. If
        the 2008 show is also 10 days then we would be asking to have space
        for only 30% of the show. Hardly a strong selling point, I must say.

        However, since my last post I have had some time to mull over this new
        situation and I have come up with a couple of working scenarios. When
        the time comes to confirm space at the 2008 show, which should be
        sometime around October 2007, I plan to talk to the general manager in
        person to explain my project on behalf of Exporail, a non-profit
        organisation. I do have a certain amount of negociating experience
        and I am pretty sure that I can come to an understanding with Comexpo,
        the Paris show management folks.

        If I can't arrange to have free space for 3 days then I'll move on to
        my next proposal which would be to pay for 3 days, hopefully at a
        non-profit rate. If that doesn't fly, then I'll offer to pay
        commercial stand rate for 3 days (see, there is a common theme to this
        strategy).

        Bottom line is I really, really, really want to wrap up the VEC's
        International AdventureZ with the Paris experience. I can't think of
        a better way to conclude my amazing journey with the VEC than taking
        part in the largest French-language hobby show in the world. After
        all, the VECRR started its public outings at a French-language train
        show in Trois-Rivières, Québec in March 1993. The Paris event would
        mark the fifteen anniversary of the VEC's "Golden Spike".

        So now I have to start studying the Parisian public transit system to
        discover the subtlties of travel to and from Le Bourget, just in case
        the show repeats there in 2008.

        Terry and Dominique...Paris is still a GO!

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2006
          > So now I have to start studying the Parisian public
          > transit system to
          > discover the subtlties of travel to and from Le
          > Bourget, just in case
          > the show repeats there in 2008.
          >
          > Terry and Dominique...Paris is still a GO!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Jeffrey

          Yes, Jeff, please come here! French modelrailroaders
          still need to see various Z scale layouts in shows.
          Myself I'm thinking about a 4.5 x 3' layout with
          double continuous ovals (and broad curves) in order to
          have more possibilities of operations in our
          appartment in Paris suburb....

          Dom

          Demandez à ceux qui savent sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
          http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
        • davendiana
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2006
            Dom, I would love to see the proposed layout you mentioned. That sounds like a lot of action in a small space with large curves.  Please keep us in mind when you have it developed. Dave Schilling

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
              --- davendiana <dschilling@...> a écrit :

              > Dom, I would love to see the proposed layout you
              > mentioned. That sounds like a lot of action in a
              > small space with large curves. Please keep us in
              > mind when you have it developed. Dave Schilling

              Hi Dave, as I'm just waiting for my MTL turnouts on
              order to start it, I hope it'll be close to completion
              when you come to Paris with Jeff for the Paris 2008
              show!

              All the best,