Fw: [V4Protocol] V4 Protocol Testing

  • W6IDS
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26 8:18 AM
      If you are looking for a spot to check out your V4 ops,
      I've got mine working alongside my BPQ32 Node Switch on
      7061.000 DIAL.

      Try for an ARQ connect if you like. Call W6IDS (NO SSID)
      and we can check out our V4s together. I have it up now at 1512Z
      with my normal BPQ32 ops until about 1700Z when I need to leave
      for an appointment. I'll have it back up when I return for further
      testing availability.

      If you hear WINMOR or PacTOR I activity in process, just wait
      for a few, it'll pass. We'll just work the testing in with normal ops.

      Howard W6IDS
      Richmond, IN EM79NV
    • W6IDS
      Message 2 of 10 , May 26 10:54 AM
        I will be leaving for my appointment at 1745Z. However, I will leave the
        V4 CHAT up and operating on frequency. If you're inclined, feel free
        to attempt a connect and if successful, just leave a message on the
        screen perhaps - Hmmmm, I think that will work <GRIN>

        Howard W6IDS
        Richmond, IN EM79NV

        > If you are looking for a spot to check out your V4 ops,
        > I've got mine working alongside my BPQ32 Node Switch on
        > 7061.000 DIAL.
        >
        > Try for an ARQ connect if you like. Call W6IDS (NO SSID)
        > and we can check out our V4s together. I have it up now at 1512Z
        > with my normal BPQ32 ops until about 1700Z when I need to leave
        > for an appointment. I'll have it back up when I return for further
        > testing availability.
        >
        > If you hear WINMOR or PacTOR I activity in process, just wait
        > for a few, it'll pass. We'll just work the testing in with normal ops.
        >
        > Howard W6IDS
        > Richmond, IN EM79NV

      • W6IDS
        Message 3 of 10 , May 26 2:00 PM
          If you want to do some work with V4 Chat, mine is still monitoring
          alongside my BPQ32 Node Switch on 7061.000 DIAL, obviously
          for FEC and ARQ especially.

          Call W6IDS (NO SSID) and we can check out our V4s together.
          I have it up now continuously with my normal BPQ32 ops and will
          let it run through the night also. If I don't reply back to an ARQ
          connect attempt, try leaving some text on the screen.

          If you hear WINMOR or PacTOR I activity in process, just wait
          for a few, it'll pass. We'll just work the testing in with normal ops.

          Howard W6IDS
          Richmond, IN EM79NV
        • n9dsj
          Message 4 of 10 , May 26 4:50 PM
            Short ARQ contact with OZ1PMX in pretty stiff qrm conditions....worked well considering. One issue a few of us had was figuring out who was linked to whom; perhaps more an issue of getting used to the mode/interface than an actual mode/coding issue.

            73,

            Bill N9DSJ
          • ham
            Message 5 of 10 , May 26 7:24 PM
              Just finished a qso with V31AE. My first qso in this mode. I agree that one is not sure who is linked to who. I think some of the timers need tweaking especially the re-transmit timers. Perhaps some of the Van Jacobsen TCP timer methods could be look at. The current timers give up too early for my liking in ARQ mode. I suggest various timers should be user setable until we get more experience with the protocol. Adaptive timers are the way to go here in my opinion.

              73, Bernie

              --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "n9dsj" <n9dsj@...> wrote:

              > Short ARQ contact with OZ1PMX in pretty stiff qrm conditions....worked well considering. One issue a few of us had was figuring out who was linked to whom; perhaps more an issue of getting used to the mode/interface than an actual mode/coding issue.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Bill N9DSJ

            • Robert Belize
              Message 6 of 10 , May 26 8:59 PM
                Hi Bernie, thanks for testing V4/ARQ with me...actually it worked but it idled out a few times cause the sig was buried in the noise floor sometimes.
                I believe V4/ARQ mode should only respond if it detects its call sign (SelCal).

                Calling cq in FEC mode, after establishing contact both station can switch to ARQ and continue, testing...

                To use only "one key" to "send text" in the tx window I have defined the right arrow key as the "send" key , it's easier for the operator. One button only!

                On my setup, the TNC waterfall blanks out some times for part of a second.

                My setup is: IC-746/50 watts into a log periodic T8 beam/SignaLink USB card, Dell laptop winxp/sp2..Lots of ferrite.

                Am running RMS express since beta times and I like it. Works perfect.
                Actually, I like more the Winmor TNC/BPQ32/Airmail setup. It gives you a keyboard mode..

                I remember the early times of pactor, we had 14073Khz defined as the calling channel and qsy after. Any qrg's on the other bands?
                Every day we have openings on 28 Mhz, today s-9+ to Italy. That with the low solar flux...fantastico..

                Lets do some more testing...
                73 to all
                Robert V31AE

                --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "ham" <ve3fwf@...> wrote:

                > Just finished a qso with V31AE. My first qso in this mode. I agree that one is not sure who is linked to who. I think some of the timers need tweaking especially the re-transmit timers. Perhaps some of the Van Jacobsen TCP timer methods could be look at. The current timers give up too early for my liking in ARQ mode. I suggest various timers should be user setable until we get more experience with the protocol. Adaptive timers are the way to go here in my opinion.
                >
                > 73, Bernie
                >

                > --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "n9dsj" <n9dsj@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Short ARQ contact with OZ1PMX in pretty stiff qrm conditions....worked well considering. One issue a few of us had was figuring out who was linked to whom; perhaps more an issue of getting used to the mode/interface than an actual mode/coding issue.
                > >
                > > 73,
                > >
                > > Bill N9DSJ

              • W6IDS
                Message 7 of 10 , May 26 9:16 PM
                  Sorry, but I need to ask. . . . .exactly what is meant by "not sure who is
                  linked to who?"

                  Howard W6IDS
                  Richmond, IN EM79NV

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 27 2:04 AM
                    I am working on a fairly simple but effective way of:
                    1) Issuing a connect request to a specific call sign (others not addressed won’t answer)
                    2) Showing which call sign you are connected to.

                    This update should be ready in a few days.

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 27 2:06 AM
                      Bernie,
                      The next release will have a user selectable Timeout value (30 to 180 seconds).

                      Rick KN6KB

                    • ham
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 27 6:22 AM
                        Excellent Rick. I think we have a winner here. V4 probably probably needs a few timers such as a re-trasnmit timer with no packet received and re-transmit timer with CRC errors on a received packet.

                        I'll read the V4 protocol specs but the above is based on my imperical observations with a sample size of one :-( Not sure if it is possible but a "slow start" methodology a la Van Jacobsen might be worth a look at. The idea is to send small payload packets at the beginning of a QSO and if the ACKS are coming back with no CRCs, then increase the payload or window size. Once CRC errors are experienced, immediately shrink the window size back and start again with small payload frames. Not sure if the above is possible but I believe it would certainly be worth investigating and probably work very well on HF.

                        Timers should be adaptive as well instead of being fixed so that several stations on the same channel do not get into 'lock step' and continually clobber each other.

                        73, Bernie