A few brave soles need to test the new V4 ARQ version

    Message 1 of 8 , May 23 1:32 PM

      All,

      I am in the final stages of testing the new V4 ARQ mode.  This is a nice improvement allowing two stations to exchange error free data (after FEC and ARQ)  even in pretty poor conditions.  I am in the final stages of testing and updating the help files for V4 and V4Chat. ARQ is a few percent slower than FEC (due to the ACK/NAK) but gives perfect copy (or no copy at all if things are really bad!).

      I would like a few (no more than 5) brave individuals with some experience with the V4 FEC mode to test out the install, help and test ARQ and FEC operation before posting the files for the entire group (there is always something that will go wrong!)

      One important thing on this new version:  I am going to an interleaved transmission scheme (where the symbols are sent in a more randomized order and then deinterleaved at the receiver). My testing of this over many different channel types suggests it offers some significant improvement especially on burst noise, multipath and static crashes over the non interleaved version that was used before.  The only downside to interleaving is that it is NOT compatible with the current posted version so it will require an update.  The interleaved version is the same speed, same 200 Hz bandwidth and sounds exactly the same as before …only the order of symbol transmission is changed.  The new version 0.2.0.0 will include Monitor, FEC and ARQ modes

      If you are game for this and want to try and set up some test FEC or ARQ session I would appreciate it.

      If interested contact me directly at rmuethingATcfl.rr.com and I will send you a zip package later this week. Thanks.

      73,

      Rick Muething, KN6KB

      .

    • Kirk, K6KAR
      Message 2 of 8 , May 23 1:48 PM

        As one of the first users of V4, I’d be happy to test and run the new version.  Quite anxious to see it.

        73

        Kirk, K6KAR

        Niceville, FL.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 23 4:34 PM
          Consider me yet another brave soul.  I really want to see the V4 ARQ mode fly like an eagle.

          Lee / NR5G
          Rockwall, TX

          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , May 23 5:04 PM
            Count me in if needed,
            Andy K3UK

            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , May 23 5:14 PM
              Same here - and thanks for all your work!
              Dick, w4web

              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , May 23 6:52 PM
                Count me in if there's room on the plane. . . .

                Howard W6IDS
                Richmond, IN Em79NV

                Message 7 of 8 , May 23 7:23 PM
                  Sounds dangerous. I'm game.  I assume the primary goal of this test is wring out the protocol?

                  philw de ka1gmn

                  --
                  Philw de KA1GMN
                • Owen Mitchell