Re: [V4Protocol] FT-450 control

    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2011
      Pete,

      One of the setups is to use the CAT command to key the PTT. IF your radio supports it.  Try selecting one of the other Yaesu models if yours isn’t listed.

      Can you send me the details of the CAT command for the FT-450?  Basically I need the command info for:
      PTT On/OFF
      Set Frequency
      Set mode (LSB, USB etc)

      An electronic copy of the CAT manual will be best.

      Rick KN6KB

      Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 4:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [V4Protocol] FT-450 control

      Hi Rick:

      Thanks, still confused. I would hope that since these other programs send a cat command to do t/r switching you could do the same thing. I'd prefer not to use DTR/RTS if possible and I haven't used it thus far. I don't use an interface as such with any of these other programs.

      I have used ARQ with AMTOR years ago and I miss it, I think it will be great improvement when you get it going, a great improvement over PSK31.

      Again, the best thing is to send a cat command to the rig. Can you do this? I'd think that is what happens when I select FT-450 in the config.

      Again,
      for method (1) if I set "Radio Command" to com3, what do I set "PTT Port (optional)" to?

      -Pete

      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2011
        I'll be at work 'til late. I think it's the same as the -950. Perhaps some of the other members of the group can help. Also at the Yaesu website there's a full manual on the CAT system for the FT-450 and other rigs.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2011
          ON THE FT450, DOESN'T THE DATA VOX RESPOND TO AUDIO COMMING IN ON THE DATA PORT??   I THINK IT WORKS THE SAME AS MY TS480.

          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
          From: rmuething@...
          Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 15:50:42 -0400

          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2011
            Would be nice if I could use OmniRig here too, as with fx MixW, Jt65 and LogWindow !

            73 de Peter OZ1PMX

            Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:57 AM

            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
            From: rmuething@...
            Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 15:50:42 -0400

            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2011
              From: Pete Ferrand <petef@...>
              Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 Time: 15:20:37

              >I have used ARQ with AMTOR years ago and I miss it, I think it will be
              >great improvement when you get it going, a great improvement over
              >PSK31.

              Hi Pete

              Agreed. Yes, it will be interesting to try V4 when Rick has implemented
              ARQ.

              However, are you aware of PSKmail?

              http://www.pskmail.org/

              This supports ARQ on top of fldigi, and is particularly interesting
              because the system adapts to band noise and conditions -- connections
              can start off at high speed PSK, but then switch automatically to a
              lower speed, or even to an entirely different mode, when the going gets
              harder.

              Despite its name, PSKmail isn't just for reliable mail transfer -- it
              also has an ARQ chat mode.

              PSKmail is well established, and already does well what I suspect Rick
              is trying to do. I think you'll find PSKmail is worth a look.

              Ian, G3NRW

              The TS-590S Resources Page:
              http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm
            • Peter Martinsen
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                Hi Ian

                Mni tnx for the mail !

                I cant use Fldigi. Fldigi does not have OmniRig support !

                But I am ready for an Amtor ARQ qso any time ;-)

                73 de Peter OZ1PMX (OPMX)

                http://www.mymorninglight.org/ham/psk.htm
                 http://www.oliviamode.com/index.htm

                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                From: g3nrw@...
                Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 06:09:30 +0100

                From: Pete Ferrand <petef@...>
                Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 Time: 15:20:37

                >I have used ARQ with AMTOR years ago and I miss it, I think it will be
                >great improvement when you get it going, a great improvement over
                >PSK31.

                Hi Pete

                Agreed. Yes, it will be interesting to try V4 when Rick has implemented
                ARQ.

                However, are you aware of PSKmail?

                http://www.pskmail.org/

                This supports ARQ on top of fldigi, and is particularly interesting
                because the system adapts to band noise and conditions -- connections
                can start off at high speed PSK, but then switch automatically to a
                lower speed, or even to an entirely different mode, when the going gets
                harder.

                Despite its name, PSKmail isn't just for reliable mail transfer -- it
                also has an ARQ chat mode.

                PSKmail is well established, and already does well what I suspect Rick
                is trying to do. I think you'll find PSKmail is worth a look.

                Ian, G3NRW

                The TS-590S Resources Page:
                http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm

              • Pete Ferrand
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4, 2011

                  Hi Rick:

                  You can download the CAT manual from the Yaesu site at:

                  http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

                  Then just click on the Files section. I tried the 450 and 950 selection on V4 without success.

                  73,

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2011

                    Yes, it does, thanks for suggesting it. I didn't think it worked that way but I must have misread the manual the first time. I don't like to use VOX and I have to change the settings from the other operations but it does work. Worked my first V4 QSO tonight as well.

                    -Pete

                    WB2QLL

                    To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                    From: rmuething@...