FT-450 control

  • cr88a
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2011
      Having a problem getting the V4Chat to control the rig, suspect I'm not understanding the instructions.

      I have been running psk, jt65, rtty, and Olivia with this setup, which is a Windows 7 32 bit system with actual serial port cards and a Yaesu FT-450AT. I've been runing Mixw, FLdigi and HRD. PCC-450 also works. I've turned off all software firewalls.

      Problem is, with nothing else running V4Chat doesn't control the rig and the two tone test doesn't do t/r switching.

      I've set the "radio control" parameters to COM3, 19.2 and RTS, same as HRD.

      In trying to understand the Help instructions I see under the "Radio Control" section of the setup "Radio Command (some radios) through the Radio Control Port. " Now this paragraph, which describes the t/r method I intend to use, doesn't specify how to set the PTT Port (optional) parameter. I've tried setting it to "external" and to COM3 with all possible RTS and DTR combinations on "Radio Control Port" and PTT Port (optional). I also tried setting "Radio Control Port" to None and PTT Port (optional) to COM3 with all combinations of RTS and DTR.

      I think this "Radio Command" paragraph is saying that when set to FT-450 the V4Chat should read the frequency and do t/r...it doesn't and I don't know what to do next.

      I'm also not sure what the Help is saying with troubleshooting port conflicts. The chat program is telling me the TNC is OK on port 8510. Does that in fact mean the chat is communicating with the virtual TNC? Do I have to open up the port in the router that connects this computer to the LAN and WAN?

      FEC loopback works fine.

      Thanks for any help.

      -Pete
      WB2QLL
      Somers, WI
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2011
        Pete,

        If the loop back is working OK and the program reports the TNC is OK on the port you have set then the TNC is working fine.  Those TCP ports are how the V4Chat program communicates with the V4 Virtual TNC.

        Re PTT control:
        First understand there are basically 3 modes possible for PTT control.
        1) Radio control (some radios) I don’t know if the FT-450 supports this.  Some modern radios (most Icoms) do. This is a serial command to the radio control port that tells the radio to transmit or not. If you radio supports PTT control this is convenient since you only need one serial port (the same serial port also programs the frequency, mode etc). be sure and use at least 4800 baud for timing reasons.
        2) PTT via VOX (external).  This method keys the PTT via the audio. It is used on some sound card interfaces (e.g. SignaLink) or if you have VOX set in the transceiver to key off the transmitted audio. When this is selected the programs adds about 120 ms of additional leader to compensate for the delay VOX keying introduces.
        3) Direct PTT keying via RTS or DTR lines.  This uses a separate (not the same port used to program the radio’s frequency) RS232 port to key the VOX from either the RTS or DTR lines. Those lines may need level conditioning to actually key the PTT line (usually an open collector to 5 volts or such). Some sound card interfaces use this.

        Hope this helps.

        Rick KN6KB

        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2011
          Rick, thanks for getting back to me.

          So the loop back means that part I understand and is working.

          As to t/r switching, I was hoping to use method (1) to avoid tying up another port and since the vox on the rig is disabled in data modes.

          With the other programs, MixW, HRD, FLdigi, the radio responds to a command to do t/r switching as well as commands to read frequency, change vfo's, etc. through the same port, com3 in this case.

          Does V4 work differently?

          Further, for method (1) if I set "Radio Command" to com3, what do I set "PTT Port (optional)" to?

          Thanks again.

          -Pete

          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2011
            Pete,

            Yes I will have to double check the code but I am pretty sure in V4 the same com port is not used to send both the serial control commands and to key the PTT with DTR or RTS. While I know some sound card interfaces do that there are a number of radios that require DTR and/or RTS be in specific states and do not allow using them simultaneously with the normal serial control port.  Part of the issue here is that for ARQ modes (which V4 will have soon and WINMOR already has) it is important to carefully control any delay introduced to the PTT) and using some of these interfaces does introduce unacceptable delay (in ARQ you must switch back and forth rapidly between sending and receiving).

            Rick KN6KB

            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2011

              Hi Rick:

              Thanks, still confused. I would hope that since these other programs send a cat command to do t/r switching you could do the same thing. I'd prefer not to use DTR/RTS if possible and I haven't used it thus far. I don't use an interface as such with any of these other programs.

              I have used ARQ with AMTOR years ago and I miss it, I think it will be great improvement when you get it going, a great improvement over PSK31.

              Again, the best thing is to send a cat command to the rig. Can you do this? I'd think that is what happens when I select FT-450 in the config.

              Again,

              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                Pete,

                One of the setups is to use the CAT command to key the PTT. IF your radio supports it.  Try selecting one of the other Yaesu models if yours isn’t listed.

                Can you send me the details of the CAT command for the FT-450?  Basically I need the command info for:
                PTT On/OFF
                Set Frequency
                Set mode (LSB, USB etc)

                An electronic copy of the CAT manual will be best.

                Rick KN6KB

                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                  I'll be at work 'til late. I think it's the same as the -950. Perhaps some of the other members of the group can help. Also at the Yaesu website there's a full manual on the CAT system for the FT-450 and other rigs.

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                    ON THE FT450, DOESN'T THE DATA VOX RESPOND TO AUDIO COMMING IN ON THE DATA PORT??   I THINK IT WORKS THE SAME AS MY TS480.

                    To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                    From: rmuething@...
                    Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 15:50:42 -0400

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                      Would be nice if I could use OmniRig here too, as with fx MixW, Jt65 and LogWindow !

                      73 de Peter OZ1PMX

                      Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:57 AM

                      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                      From: rmuething@...
                      Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 15:50:42 -0400

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                        From: Pete Ferrand <petef@...>
                        Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 Time: 15:20:37

                        >I have used ARQ with AMTOR years ago and I miss it, I think it will be
                        >great improvement when you get it going, a great improvement over
                        >PSK31.

                        Hi Pete

                        Agreed. Yes, it will be interesting to try V4 when Rick has implemented
                        ARQ.

                        However, are you aware of PSKmail?

                        http://www.pskmail.org/

                        This supports ARQ on top of fldigi, and is particularly interesting
                        because the system adapts to band noise and conditions -- connections
                        can start off at high speed PSK, but then switch automatically to a
                        lower speed, or even to an entirely different mode, when the going gets
                        harder.

                        Despite its name, PSKmail isn't just for reliable mail transfer -- it
                        also has an ARQ chat mode.

                        PSKmail is well established, and already does well what I suspect Rick
                        is trying to do. I think you'll find PSKmail is worth a look.

                        Ian, G3NRW

                        The TS-590S Resources Page:
                        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm
                      • Peter Martinsen
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                          Hi Ian

                          Mni tnx for the mail !

                          I cant use Fldigi. Fldigi does not have OmniRig support !

                          But I am ready for an Amtor ARQ qso any time ;-)

                          73 de Peter OZ1PMX (OPMX)

                          http://www.mymorninglight.org/ham/psk.htm
                           http://www.oliviamode.com/index.htm

                          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                          From: g3nrw@...
                          Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 06:09:30 +0100

                          From: Pete Ferrand <petef@...>
                          Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 Time: 15:20:37

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 4, 2011

                            Hi Rick:

                            You can download the CAT manual from the Yaesu site at:

                            http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

                            Then just click on the Files section. I tried the 450 and 950 selection on V4 without success.

                            73,

                            -Pete

                            Thanks, still confused. I would hope that since these other programs send a cat command to do t/r switching you could do the same thing. I'd prefer not to use DTR/RTS if possible and I haven't used it thus far. I don't use an interface as such with any of these other programs.

                            I have used ARQ with AMTOR years ago and I miss it, I think it will be great improvement when you get it going, a great improvement over PSK31.

                            Again, the best thing is to send a cat command to the rig. Can you do this? I'd think that is what happens when I select FT-450 in the config.

                            Again, for method (1) if I set "Radio Command" to com3, what do I set "PTT Port (optional)" to?

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 4, 2011

                              Yes, it does, thanks for suggesting it. I didn't think it worked that way but I must have misread the manual the first time. I don't like to use VOX and I have to change the settings from the other operations but it does work. Worked my first V4 QSO tonight as well.

                              -Pete

                              WB2QLL

                              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                              From: rmuething@...