Re: [V4Protocol] Re: V4 Frequencies

  • Ted Trostle
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 25, 2011
      Ok not a bad  suggestion, if I follow your idea. However, do we want to get all jammed up on a single "73" freq.

      May be I do not understand how much BW a V4 4FSK signal takes.

      On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Robert Belize <robertbelize@...> wrote:

      Why not using *73 dial on each band? I remember it was the calling frequency for amtor/ pactor in the 80's
      Robert V31AE

      --
      You cannot change history, but you can make history!
      Education is the only legal cure for stupidity.

    • W6IDS
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 25, 2011
        Take into account propagation perhaps.  Take turns - it's FEC
        now anyway so you'll be able to copy any transmission freely.
        It's no different than RTTY per se.

        There's not that many people using the Protocol so rather than
        use a "hit 'n miss" approach to finding someone (as if there were
        a lot to target) just use one frequency.  That also gives others a
        good point of reference and a known spot to check/call.  When
        lots more people become users, everything may spread out like
        with other protocls and modes. so that others will also have
        a point of reference.

        There's no such thing as "standardized freqs."  You'd just be
        starting a simple "watering hole" for all practical intent, a common
        reference point.  As time goes on, there's more activity and the
        ARQ aspect comes alive, then that could change.  There's no reason
        why you couldn't operate anywhere RTTY does, etc just dont make it
        a point to take "ownership", just operate and just take turns, show some
        courtesy,  and play nice.  Move up or down a little as needed. <GRIN>

        Howard W6IDS
        Richmond, IN

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 25, 2011
            I think there's some fear of it IMHO.  Why Hams jump on one new protocol
            suddenly and with a  furry of gusto and simply "YAWWWN"  about another
            one is strange.  There has been NOWHERE near enough activity with the
            V4 Protocol to warrant a judgement about its "value-added" benefit to our
            digital toolbox.

            So, I'd park on a frequency that seems "clear" and does well, pretty much,
            with throwing your signal out generally and start calling CQ?  Perhaps you
            might continually and frequently post your intentions here and also over at
            this page  -

            Post your activity in the "ARQ" selection.  V4 is basically a soon-to-be
            ARQ activity anyway so get the ball rolling.

            Post it over on the Pactor_Packet forum that I belong to.  It's an ARQ
            group -

            Take a peek, join if you like -

            You could post in the forum if you join us.

            Then, keep up the chatter about the mode, keep transmitting,
            making skeds, etc etc which Im sure you know.

            Howard W6IDS
            Richmond, IN EM79NV

            Ok not a bad  suggestion, if I follow your idea. However, do we want to get all jammed up on a single "73" freq.

            May be I do not understand how much BW a V4 4FSK signal takes.

            On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Robert Belize <robertbelize@...> wrote:

            Why not using *73 dial on each band? I remember it was the calling frequency for amtor/ pactor in the 80's
            Robert V31AE

            --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "wb2lou" <tctrostle@...> wrote:

            > Has there been a standardized list of frequencies set? I know and use 7073, 14073, 18.090, and 18.105, but it just seems that we can use any freq within the CW/RTTY regions.
            >
            > But then may be there should be an operating freq range consensus for each band. Unlike RTTY and CW which are easily recognized, our mixed modes of digital signals are not, so having a set range would help our testing and enjoyment of the QSO's

            --
            You cannot change history, but you can make history!
            Education is the only legal cure for stupidity.

          • Peter Martinsen
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 25, 2011
              ... and 30m 10135khz fx ?

              I am calling CQ Contestia 4/125 USB 1500hz right now, and are also lsn for V4Chat

              73 de OZ1PMX Peter

              Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 8:43 PM
              Subject: [V4Protocol] Re: V4 Frequencies

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 26, 2011
                Hi Peter. Looooong time no hear.....:-) I have a sick cable and or a sick g5rv. Want to renew at home and get one at vacation qth west coast.
                Lurking in background.

                I will as well install this 200hz narrow qso mode in due time, as I also did with RMS Express. And also AirMail as I remember you told me about years ago.

                I believe that an arq mode that narrow may really have the right of living, as one does not need a broader or quicker mode than the ability to type.

                As you probably know the 15 years running of Synapse (1) is taken down at LA3F and we do build RMS WINMOR and RMS Pactor stations. More bands slowly coming. Try WINMOR at evening and Night.
                We have clients from all EU countries. Same antenna as we used on Pactor1 back then on 80m.

                In addition 7xq and I are are making Synapse 2 which is voice comm and full control of choice of any nearby repeater or even all ssb HF bands as well. Server needs linux synapse server, + skype, but clients on all platforms do need only their standard skype client. Even all cell phones.

                We can later arrange future listening options for you when connecting on any band. More advanced than when you ran pactor1 and I ran 2m packet in a live qso at some NRRL days abt 15 years ago, hi.

                You still have the wonderful loops, or are they all split up?

                73 de la7um Finn