V4 CHAT

  • ALBERT
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011
      HOW DO GET THE PROGRAM TO TRANSMIT ?
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011

        Read the help and trouble shooting sections. You enter data into the keyboard text box. A Ctrl<Cr>  ( Return while holding down Ctrl) will cause the data in the keyboard window to be transferred to the outbound buffer and send in FEC mode. ARQ is not yet enabled.

        Rick KN6KB

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011
          After you have typed in your text, hit Control-Enter.

          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
          From: aa1cz1954@...
          Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 20:14:45 +0000

          HOW DO GET THE PROGRAM TO TRANSMIT ?

        • MR WOODS.
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 29, 2011
            Hi we think we're running ARQ it is 291620Z we're on 7073 dial usb. ANT is a B&W 90 at abt 38 feet with 100W. Prop sucks, so forget the DX. 73 Ed WD9DVA
          • MR WOODS.
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 10, 2011
              AT 101854Z JUL WE HEARD K6KAR. THEY WERE LC BACK HERE, THEN GOT WAEK. WE TRIED TO GET THEIR ATTENTION BUT LUCK. I'M SUSPICOUS ABOUT MY SIGS AND NOT SURE WHAT ELSE I CAN DO. I'VE TRIED TO LOWER MY ALC LEVEL BY ADJUSTING FROMN THE SC PLAY BACK CONTROL. REDUCING THE OUTPUT MUCH MORE THAN 3 OR 4 TICKS FROM THE LEFT (TS-570) WILL DROP OUT THE XMITT SIDE ALL TOGETHER. BEFORE GETTING INTO RMS AND V4 CHAT I MADE THE NEEDED ADJUSTMENTS. MY INTERFACE IS A RIGBLASTER PLUS. ARE THERE ANY STATIONS WORKING V4 USING THE RIGBLASTER? AND WHO HAVE SUCCESS WORKING VH, PLEASE REPLY. THANKS 73 ED WD9DVA
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 10, 2011
                Ed,
                If you are showing that much ALC you probably have RF feedback into the audio. The Power out ought to be able to be pushed up to about 70 Watts before ANY significant ALC shows on most radios. (Icom’s are different ...they always show some ALC). The Power output level also ought to decrease slowly with drive if it jumps around or “falls off the cliff” there is some feedback. None of this has anything to do with V4 or WINMOR...its just basic sound card operation with RF.  Suggestions:

                1) Always drive the sound card interface into the AUX input...its usually far less sensitive than the Mike input. Use the lowest sensitivity on the aux audio and the highest output level of the sound card interface possible.
                2) Use ferrite clamp on chokes on all cables (audio in/out and control)
                3) Use a line isolator in the coax from the radio/tuner to the antenna.
                4) use a balanced antenna or a good tuner with solid ground.  RF in the “shack” will get into the sound card interface.

                The help file in V4 shows some sources for the clamp on chokes and Line isolators.

                There is rarely one silver bullet...what you are after is 3 or 4 things that each give 5-10 dB improvement or so.   Most sound card interfaces are actually pretty poor when it comes to RF isolation and filtering.  If you have ever looked into a PTC II you get a feeling for the care and attention they put on RF filtering and isolation....There is a good reason for that especially in modes that use complex waveforms.

                Rick KN6KB

              • Ed Woods WD9DVA
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 10, 2011
                  FORGOT A MINOR POINT; THE FREQ, WAS ON 141073, NOW ON 7073 (USB) ALSO ADDED A COUPLE FERRITES TO A FEW WE ALREADY HAVE INSTALLED. KEEP THING ABT RF. SORRY, 73 ED WD9DVA

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 10, 2011

                    Hi Rick thanks for the reply. RF, yes thats what keeps kicking thios old man. One problem cud be the out cable of the Rigblaster is tied to the mic jack of Kenwood TS-570. We'll keep poking around. 73 Ed WD9DVA

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
                      All,

                      I have been working a lot on the latest update that should solve a number of observed problems. It still needs more testing on the simulator before beta release but I hope to have it out by the end of the week.  It will require EVERYONE switch over as there is a compatibility issue with the current version.

                      Significant changes:

                      1) Data, ACK, NAK, and IDL frame keying to a specific ARQ Connection (dramatically reducing the chance of a non connected station/QSO contaminating a connected session.

                      2) Disconnect sequence to cleanly end a connected session.

                      3) Improved framing and frame tracking algorithm to accommodate framing errors and sample rate errors up to .2%  (2000 ppm.... a pretty large sample rate error)

                      4) More reliable link changeover IRS>ISS and ISS>IRS.

                      5) Automatic measurement of your stations PTT Hold latency. (The time the program commands PTT release until it sees first received audio). This will help find and allow fixing of installations with excessive PTT hold or Sound card latency (e.g. slow keying or improper SDR settings).

                      6) Automatic measurement and optimization of Link timing.  Upon initialization the reply time (time from End of data frame to ACK received) is measured and used to optimize link timing. This allow for a longer (more forgiving) initial value but a shorter (maximum throughput) value after automatic optimization. The measured response time in ms is logged.

                      This (along with recovering from a back rev of source required due to to a virus) required a lot of code changes and Help changes. I should be able to get these all cleaned up and tested by the end of the week.

                    • Dick Lamberson
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011

                        Bring it on!  And many thanks!  We're looking forward to testing it...
                        Dick, W4WEB

[...]

                      • Siegfried Jackstien
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
                          So we wait for end of the week :-)
                          Dg9bfc
                          Sigi

                        • Yussuf
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
                            Looks good,
                            Summer vacation here, 2nd day of 5 weeks!

                            I'm located now in KP42en and going soon to Lapland, there in mr. Santa Claus Land I will load v. 4.0.0.0 and be QRV  in loc  KP36cp by solar powered 180 Ah battery.
                            I can run 100W to dipole there
                            --
                            73's OH7TE "Yussi"

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
                              Yussy. I wonder if you'll manage LA3F-5 on WINMOR from Lapland as well.
                              That would have been nice on 80m. I remote "see" you running now from KP20IE. You probably need goin 20m to Marc in Holland I presume.
                              73. Finn/LA7UM

                              --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, Yussuf <yufenau@...> wrote:

                              > Looks good,
                              > Summer vacation here, 2nd day of 5 weeks!
                              >
                              > I'm located now in KP42en and going soon to Lapland, there in mr. Santa
                              > Claus Land I will load v. 4.0.0.0 and be QRV in loc KP36cp by solar
                              > powered 180 Ah battery.
                              > I can run 100W to dipole there
                              > --
                              > 73's OH7TE "Yussi"

                            • jgmags2000
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 27, 2011
                                To all V4 users,
                                When the program was in its development stage many users showed much enthusiasm for the program and many helped with suggestions to help Rick(KN6KB)in arriving at the final revision. Now that that has been achieved, the usage has dropped off considerably. With the increase in band openings there should be much more activity. Rick has worked extremely hard to give us V4Chat so.... with the new year upon us lets try to rekindle that enthusiasm we all had at the outset.

                                Just my two cents worth.
                                73 and happy New year
                                John, KJ1J
                              • Paul Whitaker
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                                  Hi all,
                                  Its that time of the year - our summer tourist season - lots to do at the
                                  Drive-In Theatre.

                                  I am curious about activity on the bands, so will be leaving my system
                                  running on 14073 ARQ. Please feel free to connect etc. If Im not home, ill
                                  see the activity in due course, and report by this medium.

                                  Hope you all have a great 2012.

                                  Cheers

                                  Paul Whitaker.
                                  VK3DPW

                                  >To all V4 users,
                                  >When the program was in its development stage many users showed much
                                  >enthusiasm for the program and many helped with suggestions to help
                                  >Rick(KN6KB)in arriving at the final revision. Now that that has been
                                  >achieved, the usage has dropped off considerably. With the increase in
                                  >band openings there should be much more activity. Rick has worked
                                  >extremely hard to give us V4Chat so.... with the new year upon us lets try
                                  >to rekindle that enthusiasm we all had at the outset.
                                  >
                                  >Just my two cents worth.
                                  >73 and happy New year
                                  >John, KJ1J
                                  >
                                  >__._
                                • Dave
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                                    I tested V4 chat and made two contacts.
                                    I removed the program from my computer because (1) too hard to find users on the air and (2) the program appears to cost $25.
                                    Other modes are easier to use and make all the contacts I want.

                                    Dave
                                    AD2Q

                                    --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "jgmags2000" <jgmags2000@...> wrote:

                                    > To all V4 users,
                                    > When the program was in its development stage many users showed much enthusiasm for the program and many helped with suggestions to help Rick(KN6KB)in arriving at the final revision. Now that that has been achieved, the usage has dropped off considerably. With the increase in band openings there should be much more activity. Rick has worked extremely hard to give us V4Chat so.... with the new year upon us lets try to rekindle that enthusiasm we all had at the outset.
                                    >
                                    > Just my two cents worth.
                                    > 73 and happy New year
                                    > John, KJ1J

                                  • DC 7 FL Knut
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                                      hallo hallo Dave,
                                      the appears.... it appears only....

                                      You can read the answer from secretary@... :
                                      "As described in the WINMOR TNC help, RMS Express Help, V4 TNC Help and
                                      V4Chat Help Registration is ALWAYS optional and NEVER required."

                                      73
                                      DC7FL
                                      Knut

                                      from Dave>
                                      > I tested V4 chat and made two contacts.
                                      > I removed the program from my computer because (1) too hard to find
                                      > users on the air and (2) the program appears to cost $25.
                                      > Other modes are easier to use and make all the contacts I want.
                                      >
                                      > Dave
                                      > AD2Q
                                    • Paul Whitaker
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                                        Hi all,
                                        Heard in the last 24 hours in Melbourne Australia -
                                        AA1CZ, 28/12/2011, 19:34 UTC
                                        W3BI 18:59
                                        AA1CZ 18:25
                                        K6KAR 18:03

                                        My station will respond if you try to connect.

                                        Cheers

                                        Paul.
                                        VK3DPW
                                      • Rick Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 29, 2011
                                          Hi Paul,

                                          Which band were you on?  I call from DC to Light bands trying to make a V4 QSO and usually no go.
                                          I will put your call in the box and see what happens.

                                          HNY & 73,
                                          Rick W3BI

                                          On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Paul Whitaker <dromana@...> wrote:

                                          Hi all,
                                          Heard in the last 24 hours in Melbourne Australia -
                                          AA1CZ, 28/12/2011, 19:34 UTC
                                          W3BI 18:59
                                          AA1CZ 18:25
                                          K6KAR 18:03

                                          My station will respond if you try to connect.

                                          Cheers

                                          Paul.
                                          VK3DPW

                                        • K6KAR
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 29, 2011

                                            Paul,

                                            Connected to you this morning and left a message.

                                            Happy New Year

                                            Kirk, K6KAR

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 30, 2011
                                              Hi all,
                                              More stations heard in VK3 in last 24 hours - 14073 -
                                              W2KI and K6KAR connected - 14:16 UTC
                                              PD9BTB 14:28
                                              KJ5XF 20:14

                                              And sorry K6KAR - I didnt realise you actually connected to me.....

                                              Still listening 14073 V4 ARQ.

                                              Ive also had some situations where low signals are not decoding, but other
                                              times with excellent copy....
                                              Still wondering...
                                              I also have great success with Ham Radio Integrator, but V4 has a much
                                              nicer interface.

                                              Cheers and Happy New Year

                                              Paul Whitaker.
                                              VK3DPW
                                            • Daniel V. Wolff, Jr.
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 14, 2012

                                                The Holidays have passed and I’ve been hoping to find more V4 stations active.  There has been some on-the-air V4 activity but not anywhere near what I might have expected after the Holidays.  Perhaps what we need is a little more publicity.  It would be nice to see the V4 modem included in 3rd party programs, such as FLDigi, MultiPSK, and others.  At the same time, it would be nice to see an annual on-the-air event (i.e. V4 QSO party, V4 Roundup, etc.) to promote this mode.

                                                Just my open thoughts on the subject.  Even our V4-Chat Yahoo group has been rather quite.

                                                73,

                                                Daniel V. Wolff, Jr.
                                                DL4VCW / KA7AGN / AEM1WF (MARS)
                                                http://www.qsl.net/dl4vcw/

                                                Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
                                                Caveats: NONE

                                                - - - - - - - - - - - -

                                                V4 CHAT

                                                Posted by: "jgmags2000" jgmags2000@...   jgmags2000

                                                Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:07 pm (PST)

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 14, 2012
                                                  Daniel. I agree. I wonder if V4 could be downloadable outside the yahoo group. Maybe from the Winlink web site. Needs easy distribution I believe. 73 de LA7UM Finn

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 14, 2012
                                                    Daniel,

                                                    I agree with you in it would be nice to see some additional V4 activity.  I will look into also providing a download capability for V4Chat on the WL2K FTP server in addition to the Yahoo server.

                                                    Some other points and issues:

                                                    1) I have a lot on my plate at the current time.  The WL2K software needs important updates (RMS Express, RMSTrimode etc) and Vic Poor one of our major programmers is leaving on a year’s sabbatical so the other volunteer programmers have to cover and handle any issues/updates to Vic’s code.  This leaves little time for additional V4 Programming right now.

                                                    2) The V4 TNC is documented and available to other developers to use. It is fairly easy to integrate (similar to a hardware TNC or the WINMOR virtual TNC). I would be more than happy to provide some limited help to other developers that want to integrate V4 into new or existing client programs. This has been done for WINMOR on a number of “3rd  party” programs with success.  The effort is roughly equivalent to writing a TNC driver.

                                                    3) I think a V4 contest or “roundup” would be a great idea. The logs (if the ADIF log is enabled) is compatible with most programs that can read ADIF formatted logs and that could make “scoring” the contest easier.  Since grid squares are exchanged automatically on a connection something that encouraged how many grid squares worked might be fun and easy to do.  I think there are plenty on the V4 reflector that could help with this. I can offer only limited time and support.

                                                    4) I still remain more than willing to provide help with any SERIOUS Linux programmer that wants to port V4 and/or V4Chat to Linux. I will supply the V4  VB.NET 2010 source and it may be possible to convert most of this if someone is familiar with Mono. My only requirements are:
                                                       a) This has to be a serious effort...It is probably a few man months...it is not a one-weekend re compile.
                                                       b) The resulting product has to be documented and supported. I don’t want any unsupported V4 code out there... (Support means things like Help files, answering questions and fixing bugs).
                                                       c) The resulting Linux V4 program needs to be checked and verified that it is compatible with the current Windows V4 version and matches the V4 protocol.
                                                       d) This will require the Linux programmer be familiar with things like:  DSP (FFT, wav files, sound cards etc), Real time programming, Multi threading.  I just don’t have the time to run a programming school especially  in Linux. There is a CD of a DSP short course I did for TAPR at the 2010 DCC that some may find good if they have minimal DSP experience. See  the TAPR web site (

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 14, 2012
                                                      Thanks Rick. I have privatly helped some hams sending the program privately to them, since non of them are Reflector users. Good to have a URL for this. 73. Finn/LA7UM