Re: [V4Protocol] New member, trying to install V4Protocol

  • Hoby KK8G
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2010
      Good afternoon, Charles.. I'm also interested in the response. I'm in the same boat as you are.
      The way I got around it was to put one of my USB HD's on the system and it was recognized as C:. For installation, I just changed the destination to my F: drive and it is working good. I removed the USB HD as soon as the installation was complete. There have not been any new upgrades since then, so I'm not sure if I will have to go that route every time or only during the initial setup.
      I tried to rename either my F: or G: drive to make one look like a C: drive and couldn't find a way. When I find out how to do it, I'm going to put the info file on the desktop!!
      73
      Hoby KK8G/AFA5HF

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2010

        It might work to map your “F:\” drive to “C:\”. You would need to share it first, then you could map it.

        N4IK

        --

        Stephen West-Fisher

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 23, 2010
          Evening all,

          I don't know if my comments are of any help or not. However, I just
          upgraded from v 0.1.3.0 to 0.1.6.0.

          I first had to remove the previous version before I could install the
          new verion.

          I am using Windows XP and I have a folder on my c: drive called usr
          i.e. c:\usr where install any software that is ham radio or electronics
          design in nature; it is just a separate place to help keep these things
          in order.

          When installing, the installation program asks where I want to install
          the application and it suggest c:\v4chat which I change to c:\usr\v4chat.

          Would not be possible for you do something similar like replacing the
          the c:\v4chat suggested with f:\v4chat or similar?

          I have only just started to mess about with this app. I have not yet
          made a contact nor have I successfully been able to monitor any
          activity. I know it is there, I just haven't got everything lined up yet.

          cheers, Graham ve3gtc

          On 12/23/2010 16:58, Hoby KK8G wrote:

          > Good afternoon, Charles.. I'm also interested in the response. I'm in
          > the same boat as you are.
          > The way I got around it was to put one of my USB HD's on the system
          > and it was recognized as C:. For installation, I just changed the
          > destination to my F: drive and it is working good. I removed the USB
          > HD as soon as the installation was complete. There have not been any
          > new upgrades since then, so I'm not sure if I will have to go that
          > route every time or only during the initial setup.
          > I tried to rename either my F: or G: drive to make one look like a C:
          > drive and couldn't find a way. When I find out how to do it, I'm going
          > to put the info file on the desktop!!
          > 73
          > Hoby KK8G/AFA5HF

        • Ralph
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 24, 2010
            To get to the non-existent "C:" drive, you can use the DOS command SUBST. Open a command window and type "subst /?" to get the syntax. Once you get it to work the way you want, just create a ".bat" batch file and execute it from a shortcut placed in the "startup" folder.

            Ralph K8HSQ

            --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "W3CY" <W3CY@...> wrote:

            > My name is Charles, W3CY and I am a new member of the list and am currently trying to install the program. I have a problem with the installer software.... it expects to find a drive C: and cannot so it tells me I need to select another drive but it gives me no opportunity to do so. My boot drive is drive F: I don't have a drive C: on my pc. What is the work around? There must be some way to do this but I cannot seem to find it.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            >
            > Charles Wackerman
            > W3CY
            > www.cwackerman.org
            > www.mocars.org

          • rjl_03063
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2011
              --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen West-Fisher" <steve@...>
              wrote:

              > It might work to map your "F:\" drive to "C:\". You would need to
              share it
              > first, then you could map it.

              I'm having the same problem. In my case the system is on the I: drive.
              The C: drive is another non-windows partition
              on the same drive so I can't use the subst command to remap. Is there
              anyway to get the setup program to accept a
              different drive?

              thanks,
              ray - k1rjl
            • Raymond Lanza
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 12, 2011
                Okay I solved my problem. The original windows installation was done to
                a second partition which wound up being drive I:. Drive C: was a USB
                port, I'm not sure why but it was. I renamed to the USB port to J: and
                then I was able to add a virtual C: drive using the subst command.

                subst C: I:\

                That satisfied the setup program. Once the setup program was up and
                running it did provide the option to install on a different drive. I
                installed on I: which is my system drive.

                ray - K1RJL