Getting started

  • jasnje
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2014
      I have TNC 1.0.2.0 and V4 Chat 1.0.4.0 and I'm listening on 14.073 usb.

      I'm not sure what mode I should be in for best results.  I just want to see if I can decode someone else.  I've sent a CQ in ARQ mode and have been listening on FEC mode.

      Is there a FAQ or a Quick start guide somewhere?

      Thanks.

      Jason
      K7KKY
    • jasnje
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2014
        I did figure out that I was using the wrong program.

        I had wanted to try out the H4FSK but downloaded the V4 instead.

        So now I'm running H4FSK 0.2.2.0 and Chat 0.2.2.0 and am learning how to use it.

        Would love to do a test QSO with someone.

        Will hang out on 14.073 as time allows.

        Jason
        K7KKY
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2014

          Bear in mind,  you need to use the FEC mode for H4 Chat .  As I understand it the developer has not yet completed development of the ARQ mode yet.

          Ed  K7AAT   ( unable to get on the air right now to test with you…..maybe this weekend…… )

          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2014
            Hi Jason

            I was so busy today that I did not have time to get on the radio.
            There used to be a site where you could indicate when you would be monitoring but I never used it.  Here is what I suggest.

            Use V4 chat on 14073 and call CQ several times.  I have found most of the activity in the afternoons

            Use Chat 0.2.2.0 on 10123 and setup the beacon to send every 5 or 10 minutes.  Use FEC RBST as it is the only mode working now.  I hope ARQ will be available soon.

            If you take a close look at the screenshot in the April issue of QST you will see my beacon transmission.

            Are you retired or available during the day?  If you want to give me your telephone number I would be glad to call you when conditions appear to be good.

            Hope to connect soon

            73 Harry W9IB

            ..