QRV 28073

  • Yussuf
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2014

      Seems condx is good, I'm QRV 4FEC mode
      --
      73 OH7TE/5 Yussuf

    • Dean
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 11, 2014
        A Ham friend in Paraguay and I have been using V4 Chat mode in ARQ very successfully.  Now we would like it to have a Mailbox so we can leave a message if either of us is not in the shack, but it doesn't.  Does anyone know of a CHAT program with a built in mailbox that uses a sound card mode like Winmor?

        Thanks!
        73, Dean
        CA1JDM

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 11, 2014

          Dean,

          Yes it is called WINLINK!

          V4 and H4 chat are intended to send keyboard text or small text files.  To send actual messages you need:

                          A way to address a message to a particular user.

                          A way to route the message to a user if he is not connecting to the same BBS

                          A way of encapsulating an attachment or a file.

                          A forwarding protocol to set up unique message numbering scheme and to exchange what messages to forward. E.g. like FBB

          This is all considerably more work than even developing V4 or H4.   And besides Winlink already has a mode (WINMOR 500) that is more robust and faster than V4 or H4 and all the above stuff is done, tested, and operational.

          Programs created for chat or keyboard operation generally are optimized for different things.

          You might however check and I think BPQ 32 can be setup to use V4 but I am not sure.  You might check with John Wiseman on if that is available and how to do it.  H4 does not yet have full ARQ so cannot be used by a message system that requires accuracy.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11, 2014

              Dean,

              If you want a direct mail box in WINMOR mode simply use RMS Express peer to peer. It is designed for  messages.  It uses an existing and robust forwarding protocol B2F with WINMOR (500 or 1600) and it can run Peer to peer to drop off individual mail to the party/call sign connected to.

              Read the instructions on RMS Express Help, Help Contents, Operation, Making a Peer-to-Peer connection.   Please, there are hundreds of man-hours that go into writing and maintain the help file.  Save yourself and others time by getting familiar with it!

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 11, 2014
                Dean,

                The WINMOR P2P mode can do most of what you want.  If you and your friend leave your rigs on a specified frequency with RMS Express running in the P2P mode, If station "A" has a 'peer to peer' message in his OUTBOX addressed for station "B" and tries to connect with station "B", the two stations will connect and send the message to station "B".  Once station "B" has the message correctly, it will disconnect with station "A" and resume listening.  The message will stay in station "B"'s INBOX until the operator does something with it.

                Does that help?

                Dave K3GAU

                Rick,

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 11, 2014
                      On 11-02-14 20:42, Dean wrote:
                      Thanks, Yes.  But can we also CHAT, keyboard to keyboard typing, like V4 Chat ARQ mode,  in RMS Express?

                      73, Dean
                      CA1JDM

                      If you want chat and mailbox functions in one program then you need bpq32, it works in V4 WINMOR PACTOR PACKET etc.
                      Because it is designed to work as a node in a network it will have more functions then you need for just P2P but you can always leave those functions unused without any problem.
                      Offcourse flexabilety comes at the price of a slightly more complicated setup proces.

                      73 Andre PE1RDW
                    • Bastress, David G

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 11, 2014

                          Dean,

                          RMS express is already a very complex and large program.  Throwing in stuff like Chat modes, support for more protocols etc. is in my opinion trying to make it the does-everything Swiss army knife.  How about Facebook and Twitter support?….that will be next!

                          The problem is when it does everything….

                                          It is very difficult to maintain ….remember we are volunteers …there is no paycheck and we all deserve some occasional time off.

                                          It is very difficult to learn….users already don’t read the help…Chat mode will be just one other major function that needs to be explained and too often spoon-fed to those unwilling to read the help.

                          If people were willing to pay $100-200 per copy of RMS express there would be income to pay good programmers and engineers, have good support and better maintenance, but….Most hams still believe all software should be free and supported for free cradle to grave….not very realistic for today’s complex software.

                          A wise programmer once commented….Most software dies of indigestion and not starvation.   This Is very true!  One has to be careful not to overfeed the golden goose!

                          Rick KN6KB