28.230 Stations

  • pc_cruiser_pa
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013
      So far I copied a PY3SS, Brazil, clearly. But I called and receive no reply. I also see and hear another station trying but cannot decode.

      Slow but steady progress. I will continue to check periodically. My beacon is still running.

      Doug, N3JXB
    • Dean
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013
        Ok, I was connected to the PY3SS station but, being new to the software, as he was (Mark, PY3SS) we really didn't know what to do.  I am very accustomed to using HRD + DM780 and it has convenient Macros prepared, etc.  I had to type my callsign in V4Chat etc.  Is there an easier way?  I switched back to my RMS Trimode station now in Winmor 1600 mode.  Thanks to everyone for helping!
        (((73))), Dean
        CA1JDM

        On 12/28/2013 2:39 PM, esunetdude@... wrote:

        So far I copied a PY3SS, Brazil, clearly. But I called and receive no reply. I also see and hear another station trying but cannot decode.

        Slow but steady progress. I will continue to check periodically. My beacon is still running.

        Doug, N3JXB

      • Ron Wenig
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013
          Dean,

          There are 2 programs, V4Chat and H4Chat.  If you are using V4Chat and you see a call go to the pull down menu ARQ Call and enter the other station's call and press Call Callsign.  The 2 stations should sync and connect.  H4Chat is still in Alpha testing mode and you cannot connect.  Just select FEC Robust and type your text in the bottom window and, depending on your set up, press CR to send the text.  If another station copies you they can just send text back to you just like PSK31.  The help section is very good and it will guide you on using both programs.

          I just sent a beacon.  I just heard some data but not strong enough to copy it.

          73, Ron ny3j

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013
            Doug,

            It's good to see another PA station playing with H4Chat.  We are probably too close to copy each other.

            73, Ron ny3j

            On 12/28/2013 12:39 PM, esunetdude@... wrote:

            So far I copied a PY3SS, Brazil, clearly. But I called and receive no reply. I also see and hear another station trying but cannot decode.

            Slow but steady progress. I will continue to check periodically. My beacon is still running.

            Doug, N3JXB

          • Ed
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013

              I am a brand spanking new user for V4 Chat.   I have the V4 program running,  possibly successfully, but have a couple questions.

              Are the frequencies of general usage listed as DIAL frequencies,  or CENTER frequencies;  e.g.  should my radio be listening on 14073.0 USB Dial,  or  14071.5 USB   ( 14073 CENTER ) ???

              Secondly,  in attempting to use the FILES section of the website I am having a bit of difficulty determining what files are old,  and what are current.  I see file dates going back to 2010,  and I see some files with no year at all,  just a month and a day.   Any help on this would be appreciated.   As it appears the new H4 protocol is in Alpha or Beta testing I’d like to try whatever is most recent.

              Thanks.

              Ed   K7AAT

            • enkitec

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013
                  Ed,

                  H4Chat download is
                  Chat Beta 0.2.2.0 Full install.zip Chat FEC Beta full install version 0.2.2.0 Minimal ARQ functions enabled.

                  V4Chat Download is
                  V4Chat 1.0.4.0 Full Install.zip V4Chat 1.0.4.0 Full install with V4TNC and help.

                  H4Chat is in beta testing.  You can help debugging it by using it and reporting any problems.  V4Chat is stable with the ability to connect to other stations.  Be sure to read the help section for very good
                  instructions on their use.  The frequencies would be dial frequencies.

                  73, Ron ny3j

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013

                    Thank you for that info,  Ron.   As such a new user I look forward to my first QSO in one of these modes…..which begs the question,  what is the current preponderance of communications in these modes .....  is it ith V4, or are people jumping over to the H4 mode now?

                    Ed   K7AAT

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013

                      Hey Ron,

                      I would imagine we could work on 40 or 80 meters, even 160 if you have it. I think 80 or 160 would be the better choices. Let me know if you want to try a schedule.

                      73, Doug N3JXB

                    • Ed
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 28, 2013

                        K6DDW.    Heard you call CQ on 10,123 KHz this Saturday afternoon with H4 Chat.  I responded but you never came back.  It would have been my first ‘Chat’  QSO with either mode.   I’ll be trying to listen with H4 periodically tomorrow,  either on 10123  or  14173.

                        Ed   K7AAT

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2014

                            Hi Ron,

                            Good enough, 40 meters it is. I will be available this weekend, once I get the snow cleared, hi hi. What is your availability? And 7.073 or move to a lower freq?

                            Doug, N3JXB

                          • Dean
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 7, 2014
                              I have the 0.2.2.0 installed.  What is meant by "Minimal ARQ functions enabled."   ??
                              I tried a contact last evening, we both had loud clear signals, and it worked in FEC mode, but we could not make it work in ARQ mode.

                              73, Dean
                              CA1JDM