KN6KB H4 0.2.2.0 Robust FEC beacon on 10123.0 KHz

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2013

      All,

      I have put the latest version on a 50 watt beacon on frequency 10123.0 USB dial approx. every 10 Minutes.  This should “print” as Robust FEC text when using the new version 0.2.2.0.

    • ric5
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2013
        I'm sending ...
        Rick KD4JRX FM14 NC

        Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 10:49 PM
        Subject: [V4Protocol] KN6KB H4 0.2.2.0 Robust FEC beacon on 10123.0 KHz

        All,

        I have put the latest version on a 50 watt beacon on frequency 10123.0 USB dial approx. every 10 Minutes.  This should “print” as Robust FEC text when using the new version 0.2.2.0.

      • Steve Michaels
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2013
          Hi Rick--got some foreign broadcast tearing things up here in NW FL.

          73,
          de N4AY

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2013
              Printing great here is SW MI.. (Heathkit town)
              73, HAPPY HOLIDAYS and have a nice trip.
              Hoby

              I have put the latest version on a 50 watt beacon on frequency 10123.0 USB dial approx. every 10 Minutes.  This should “print” as Robust FEC text when using the new version 0.2.2.0.

            • pc_cruiser_pa
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2013
                Hi Rick,

                I did the autoupdate and the 0.2.2.0 version is running. I found I needed to change the Auto Tuning Range to 40 Hz for anything to decode. I also dropped the squelch to level 3. I copy your beacon and a beacon from KK8G perfectly. I had a QSO with WB2LOU using FEC RBST mode. The curious thing is that the entire QSO had extra characters after each block of the message was received. But this does not happen when receiving the beacons and those are also using FEC RBST. It appears the FEC RBST for the beacon is different than the FEC RBST used in regular keyboarding.

                73 (and happy holidays to all)
                Doug, N3JXB
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 21, 2013

                  Thanks Doug,

                  Well the tuning range just determines how far the tuning algorithm searches.  Normally it should be 50 or above (that means if the station transmitting is within +/- 50 Hz of your dial it should tune and print…  Setting it up to 100 will give you more tuning range but of course it could tune to an adjacent signal too.   If you set much below 50 both stations have to have very accurate dials/oscillators.   There is an indicator showing how far the other station is from you.  + indicates the station is above your frequency.

                  Sending and reception of the beacon Robust text is exactly the same as normal Robust Text (keyboard or sending Files).  I think what you are seeing is random sync detects which with the current logic will “print” in FEC robust mode.  Probably I should change that making FEC robust mode only display FEC Robust or Monitored ARQ signals.   FEC Robust uses specially tagged and formatted frames with a frame ID, a CRC check and a block of 8 Reed-Solomon second layer FEC.  If I change that logic when in FEC Robust mode it should:

                                  Print ARQ frames if received

                                  Print Correctly received/corrected Robust FEC frames in Dark Blue bold type

                                  Print uncorrectable Robust FEC frames in Red Strike-Thru text

                                  Ignore (no print) of any random characters or syncs.  (But it would also not print a normal FEC transmission either)

                  That would be an easy fix which I could get out tomorrow.

                  Thanks for the comments and feedback.

                  Rick KN6KB