Idle Chat using V4CHAT

  • nr5g
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2013
      Does any out there use V4Chat for general idle ragchew qsos?  I recall many qsos on or about 14.073 a year or so ago, now I hear nothing other than some of the other exotic digital modes.  Is there a 20m or 40m frequency where stations generally place V4Chat calls???  I sure hope the new H4 and Chat gets more attention when it is released.
    • Pete Ferrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2013
        Hi Lee, yes I remember chatting with you and I was wondering the same thing. Have a new radio and have been busy setting it up and wondering what's up with this. Interest seems to have dropped off.

        -Pete

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2013

          I have done many V4 80, 60, 40, 30 and 20m. with a lot of  LA and EU countries including Canada.

          For me it has proven a good mode though limited to 7bit ascii.

          Having a break some months due to my Windows PC crash and waiting for a new MacBook Pro Haswell, where I will try OSX Maveric and Win7Pro with VMWare both for RMS Express and V4/H4.

          Plenty to do anyway attending our local Winlink servers and arranging winlink drills from other sites.

          Also looking forward to H4s extension including ISO 8859-1, and the real international standard char set UTF8.

          UTF8 has been proven to work excellent with VOAs Fldigi test broadcasts where even my old Mac PowerBook do work well.

          English, French, Spanish, Russian, Greece, Chinese letters very well received, all just using the industry standard UTF8.

          That is the standard setting for everything. (Except Winlink mail..8859-1))

          Also off course the Norse letters working well.

          I know of many norwegians waiting for information related to the new H4 mode when it's getting ready.

          Amongst them also professional Pactor 1-3 users for years being astonished about the V4 abilities for ARQ QSOs which also reminds them of Amtor.

          What will H4 reveal.....

          73, thanks for Ricks work and Merry Christmas de LA7UM/Finn