H4 Beacon inital Radio tests of version 0.1.6.1

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3 11:08 AM

      All,

      I am doing some initial beacon testing of the H4 TNC and updated Chat program (ver 0.1.6.1) .  I am running a 50 watt beacon on 28230.0 USB dial every 5 minutes.  This is testing some new features and code. Please report if you copy and try  answering if possible. I have maximum logging enabled to capture the performance of the new mods at my end.

      I hope to have a new rev out in the next few days. This is still FEC mode only but cleans up some important issues and should allow better copy especially from sound cards with substantial sample rate inaccuracy.

      Once I get this cleaned up for release (Chat also has some changes making it more efficient for typing) I will get into the ARQ stuff…but first it is necessary to get  a good solid base with the FEC mode.  (sort of like building a house…you have to have a solid foundation!)

      I’m not sure how good my antenna is here on 10 meters (it is actually a trap dipole for 30, 17, and 12 meters) but at least the tuner tuned it OK.  If there are other frequencies that you are all using let me know and I’ll move to them.

      73,

      Rick Muething, KN6KB

    • dave.frazier7
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3 12:45 PM

      • W6IDS
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3 2:09 PM
          I can hear some CW down in the noise but it doesn’t sound like your call sign
          Rick.  This is around 2200Z and for what it’s worth, I did copy PY3ZZ clearly.
          I called him three or four times to no avail.  He was calling CQ a couple of
          times while I listened, etc.

          Plenty of PSK on 28120 BTW.  Never did connect with the PY3.  Well, not
          with you either <GRIN>.

          Howard W6IDS
          Richmond, IN EM79NV

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 4 9:05 AM
                Thanks Russ,

                Had trouble (flight cancelled) getting out of LAX due to the terminal shooting.  But good to be home!  New (4 week old) grand daughter a kick!

                I now have the beacon on 10123.00 USB dial for some testing. Just about ready to release the auto update..

                Rick

                Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 11:37 AM
                Subject: [V4Protocol] RE: H4 Beacon inital Radio tests of version 0.1.6.1

[...]

                No virus found in this message.

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 4 9:09 AM
                  All,

                  Running some final checks on the new Chat and H4TNC release (will be version 0.1.7.0 ) here.  Beacon is 50 watts on 10123.00 USB dial.

                  Appreciate any replies on frequency to verify improved auto tuning functions.

                  I hope to have an auto update release out later today or tomorrow.  Still just FEC mode but should be able to focus on ARQ soon.

                  73,

                  Rick Muething, KN6KB

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 4 9:15 AM
                    Food for thought regarding FT920 VFO

                    FT920 works with RMSexpress but it is not being picked up by last version. I have no problem with Kenwood VFO set up.
                    At the store FT920 no go, at home Kenwood TS850s works great.

                    Later

                    Don va7dgp

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4 9:24 AM
                      Thanks Don...will take a look at it.

                      Rick KN6KB

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 4 10:00 AM
                        Don,

                        I’m comparing Chat radio control code with RMS Express ...don’t see any differences for Yaesu. What radio setting are you using?  What is not working? (I think Frequency read back is unique to Chat so that may be the issue).

                        Thanks

                        Rick KN6KB

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 4 10:18 AM
                            Copied K1DOW and KN6KB on 28.230.00 while I was away from the house earlier this morning out here in El Paso, TX DM61sv. Sent a reply back about 11:00AM (MST). Going to 10.123.00 and see what we hear.

                            73,
                            Lew/KB5HPT

                            > All,
                            >

                            > I am doing some initial beacon testing of the H4 TNC and updated Chat
                            > program (ver 0.1.6.1) . I am running a 50 watt beacon on 28230.0 USB dial
                            > every 5 minutes. This is testing some new features and code. Please report
                            > if you copy and try answering if possible. I have maximum logging enabled
                            > to capture the performance of the new mods at my end.
                            >

                            > I hope to have a new rev out in the next few days. This is still FEC mode
                            > only but cleans up some important issues and should allow better copy
                            > especially from sound cards with substantial sample rate inaccuracy.
                            >

                            > Once I get this cleaned up for release (Chat also has some changes making it
                            > more efficient for typing) I will get into the ARQ stuff.but first it is
                            > necessary to get a good solid base with the FEC mode. (sort of like
                            > building a house.you have to have a solid foundation!)
                            >

                            > I'm not sure how good my antenna is here on 10 meters (it is actually a trap
                            > dipole for 30, 17, and 12 meters) but at least the tuner tuned it OK. If
                            > there are other frequencies that you are all using let me know and I'll move
                            > to them.
                            >

                            > 73,
                            >

                            > Rick Muething, KN6KB

                          • Steve Michaels
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 4 10:38 PM
                              Beaconing on 10.123mHz.  Strong carrier on 10.125, can't get rid of it with the options available on the FT-857D.

                              Best to all
                              N4AY EM70