New Full install 0.1.1.0 for Chat and the H4TNC uploaded to Yahoo FTP and Winlink FTP

    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013

      All,

      I have posted a new version (now with significantly more testing!!!) of the Chat program and the H4TNC (Implements the new HAM4 Protocol).   This is available for download from the Yahoo V4Protocol group FTP or the Winlink user FTP ftp://autoupdate.winlink.org/User%20Programs/

      The new Chat program and H4TNC does NOT replace the prior V4Chat.  It is a new program that uses a new (hopefully more robust with lower latency) modulation and coding scheme.  The current version 0.1.1.0 is considered alpha code but appears very functional. Only the FEC (broadcast) protocol is included initially …later ARQ. If this proves to be robust and effective I plan to use it to replace the older V4 TNC.  I  may make a future version of Chat that would support both protocols but this is not in the current plans.

      The new Chat also contains a limited beacon mode to help with initial testing. I have placed a HAM4 beacon “HAM4 Test Beacon de KN6KB [EL98pf] that will be sent approximately every 10 minutes on 10.110.0 USB DIAL.  If you download and install the Chat program from above and set it up (help is included and updated).  You should be able to hear/copy the beacon. You can also answer me with a reply if desired. I will be here most of the day but in and out.  If you set up your own beacon please try and use this same frequency or frequency on another band.  Please try and co ordinate beacon frequencies and use them sparingly. We don’t want to create an beacon interference.

      My initial tests with the new coding scheme used in version 0.1.1.0 are very encouraging.  I think the ARQ version will be equally good with higher robustness and easier operation.  This new mode has very low latency (about 300 ms …faster than PSK31.)

      I am having some problem with the autoupdate mechanism so this will require a full install (and uninstall of a previous version of Chat).  Note: this is installed in a separate directory and shares no data with the earlier V4Chat.

      73,

      Rick Muething, KN6KB

    • George McCulley
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013

        Rick:  Hearing no beacon from you at this time.

        My beacon is on for 10 min intervals, also.  Same 10.110.0

        Regards & many thanks for some new and interesting software.

        George McCulley, WA6TVD

        Washoe County, NV ARES

        WA6TVD@...

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
            I just got setup listen every 10 mins
            Rick Kd4jrx

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013

              Thanks George,

              Propagation probably not possible on 10 MHz across the country during daylight. I will leave going overnight on 10.110.0 and see if we can hear each other.

              Rick KN6KB

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                Ok I'm transmitting a beacon Kd4jrx every 10 mins. I'm hearing another beacon also but not decoding it? Anyone else decoding or seeing mine?
                Rick Kd4jrx FM14ab

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                  I'm seeing gibberish on screen. Odd letter and numbers.

                  Don va7dgp

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                    Hi Rick,

                    Not a bad chat for the first try.  This is what I copied....

                    UUeëýÙDE KJRXW™À–‘CDE KDJRX8lUWP¨KD4JRX: ASCII(7bit);`The quhck bro¯n foxãjumped over th% lazy dog's fack. 0123456749DE KD%JRX˜ì†p>1ŸÖQ[e¯ŽNY3J D… KD4JRX CPYÿä¤uæNY3J DF KD4JRX CPY¿í;œNÁ CPY U`WILL AT THIS`GOOD PRINT BTUYES I ZOULD SAY 80% TO 90 %`COPY ALSO RON`NAME IB RICK WATHA NC FM14 BTU

                    YES SUILL SOMF TWEEUING TO UO BUT A GOOD START FR SURE RON  KSÇî.–{0 AGN AWN? DE KD4JRX AKN`AGN? ¯,^R ‹¾ï¾ï®¾®¾º´¹u‡¹ºÞ¹®þ÷ÿd;ÿÿÿÿÿ7Á#5T6R>”Ñ‚Oh ¹¥sCI saw áis po·ting I think teis is – good start like u s–id i c°y abt ð0% ron`krig ¬¥¶e is vCICÕåfK ICOM +000 THAT IS K_OD LUC^ ON UHF CODE O¬Z²{všWD‰Rü÷Ok Ro®Ctnx ï°Dthe v4`chat ¬¥re 30 µtrs ¢¥st of 77 fro® Od4jrx ZM14 skÝæZÂRDE _UåJRX'±Ë‚yTæzã%7ÆqÿÍ¢Q“<

                    So maybe propogation not real good.  I don't hear anything else yet.

                    73, Ron ny3j

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013

                      Rick KD4JRX,

                      I am running a IC 7100 with 300 Hz narrow Receive filter and using its built in sound card.   USB Dial is 10110.00  KHz.  Not hearing anything yet or seeing any copy.  May be better this evening.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                        Hi Guys,

                        I may have got you Ricks mixed up :-)

                        I think my sound card needs to be recalibrated.  I copied Rick, kd4jtx on dial frequency 10110 and Rick, kn6kb on dial frequency 10109.701.  I am not copying very well.  I did copy the name Rick but not sure which Rick I was talking to.  Sorry for the mix up.  This is what I copied on 10109.701.

                        HAM4 Tš'×R8–fcon de KN6KB,  de KN6KB, Rockledge, FL  [EL98pf]WX72Â%æ~!¡ÎÍDE KD%JRXZ¸Ö”þßÆÏ‚=DE KD%JRX FM14 WATHA NCHELLO RON©UUP†,¾ò†u have`sound card p±oblems ? u sa¹? yes that waht Im seåing hete  k10.109.69 MhzOh E oot sureCabt thft wheôU do u §et theŸ progÁmÿæÂÃ2³¬íò¡hâç§Is it ok xmit`v4 qso`here?-‘ŠÛkRon  Iv having the same he±å also`Is this a mix`mode °art of`30 mrtets or a`CW paa•t of the band?I here`a beac~n up o­ 110 våry ve±¹ strong just themn d)d u cp¹ it ? Ue Kd4jtx k

                        73, Ron ny3j

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                          I thought I copied kn6kb better when I tuned the signal in the waterfall.  I'm not sure if the auto tune is working on my side.  Strong signal but still lots of errors.  Not sure if kd4jrx copied me.  I think kn6kb did.  Here's the copy:

                          HAM4 Tš'×R8–fcon de KN6KB,  de KN6KB, Rockledge, FL  [EL98pf]WX72Â%æ~!¡ÎÍDE KD%JRXZ¸Ö”þßÆÏ‚=DE KD%JRX FM14 WATHA NCHELLO RON©UUP†,¾ò†u have`sound card p±oblems ? u sa¹? yes that waht Im seåing hete  k10.109.69 MhzOh E oot sureCabt thft wheôU do u §et theŸ progÁmÿæÂÃ2³¬íò¡hâç§Is it ok xmit`v4 qso`here?-‘ŠÛkRon  Iv having the same he±å also`Is this a mix`mode °art of`30 mrtets or a`CW paa•t of the band?I here`a beac~n up o­ 110 våry ve±¹ strong just themn d)d u cp¹ it ? Ue Kd4jtx k
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.000 KHz Dial
                          ¨—ô¼éÂ

                          *** Freq Changed: 10109.701 KHz Dial
                          till there De`Kd4jrx`kÛpˆ,†@’I˜|à„x\n´'†
                          *** Freq Changed: 10109.701 KHz Dial
                          *** Freq Changed: 10109.701 KHz Dial
                          DE KD%JRX FM14 WATHA NC

                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.000 KHz Dial

                          *** Freq Changed: 10109.689 KHz Dial
                          „QØåÒÀž®§4š8U™ñ„¹Mïd¤÷OuÏ?‹®ÿz
                          PEU?%ï¦Ò¸¨•zø´À(àÓž
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.017 KHz Dial
                          ÅŸÅ+A¿iõ¯–Êg|ÉPÏÚ€˜Åïïïï¾ï,ï﮾®ïïÿÿÿÿÿÿ¾ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿZ3€ëmWO®ï¼Pè£ïïïïïï﮾¾ï®ïïÿ®ÿÿÿ®¾ÿÿÿÿÿ¾ÿSksn«,>NY":—ïïïïïïïïïïïïï+¾ï¾ï¾ï¾ÿÿÿ®®ÿãºåïzæ›_ÿ¾ï~½ä¾ÿzʺ›—ë¯{_·;¹µÚ~YÇÖ“ï®vj®jv®é~æU¾v>µ÷ãš¼nq+AèZ þ¯©~¾}þå}Y~¾~þ¯W~Y¹~~š}þª~Í¥YW–Y¥Þ¦^ÝçÞ^ÞÖÝýSSeyÞ~µnì}šå}Ù~¾~Z¯y~¹Þ~š}þª~þjoþ½IŸ{”¡Ò‰ý÷˜ËJsþ¹mïzOvþmëOݯzé®®é¾Ê*ÿ6j®jj®_uš¥uY?yÞ~´~ì}Z½}ÞßšY¯yZ½~æþ÷šåÁÔ°‘)mH3ýôïj¦›__z´¹u‡¹ÿÆʺ_—ëºÞÚæ>é|ÿ_—ë¯Ëþ½Œ‡yu¯¾ÿvj®jÖ®ýÖeÙëºmµNvþ¦¶-§¥¾ ;ÊyËc8²ïzfmïOj®Ý©_®jv©z¦më¬NšÖS¥–R•Mz—šZþ½æš~_þj~®V—ÿfŹÞ~š}ÿ¾jÚëþ~OýÙx°.t
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.040 KHz Dial
                           missing some characters lots of roaring (multipath) de KN6KBÞ×æY®ºGsi¸fƒgRick same he±å also abt 90%`cpy kÿþ‰ýp8ÉB DE N4TAB Tom in NC©ï_ZhqÙ_ï'¯‰æCuts off the &irst {ord onqjy endtmake th
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.058 KHz Dial
                          at happ$›²,OQ\9dAšA™°QE‰B‰EfA™E‚M)“I dhink this will work OK with ARQ...but a lot to do to make that happen Rickö$ˆkê¶.PÆx<@
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.070 KHz Dial
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.040 KHz Dial
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.060 KHz Dial
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.050 KHz Dial
                          *** Freq Changed: 10110.040 KHz Dial
                          BY wa¹`Rick I`have ¹~u at 10.110.027 on ptint co°y  how`me? Oh`rgr on`getting the ARQ part`wking``fr su±å k Did`cpy an¹ of that??ˆŸUkUw«Yes copy pretty well...the auto tune should capture anything +/- 50 Hz at least I will have to check into that. rÌiæM:ûþâO/ÙæbÇšU["å›f¨a{Ok fb Rick I got abt`60% of`that last xmit due to multa`patha )m pretty surek got u`100% that tij% on m¹`IC-7000 here «the radão#but internbl txhe DSP code. It‰S¦›ô K on my ³Ú›µfvþlator since itM_››yßallow sª©•Z¯é the fr much K K Ok im going to move to 10.110 dial`see what happ%ns ok?·µÙUÿ·ý·U™UW™Z™e™Ze™™e6êYúÚî»UÛM–u‰ QÄP(%dPh°‚ÔdP@†)Q’4 4P¥ˆ¬ŽPî®R…`4…d)A•A) d) „Bi@ iMŽ’)’J èoj×íZâ
                          $QQJdEê‰ÄÉP5JJd‰Øª¶V/dˆ6xAB$Sorry guys ...have a phone HAM Test Beacon de KN6KB,  de
                           KN6KB, Rock—&[Á;襘‰IxfÀF¹VwÜ3

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                            Hello Rick,

                            I'm working KN6KB in Fla having a lot of dropouts about 90% good print Rick on my end. Seems I lose the first few charters about every  3 or 4th time I transmit not sure why? Some maybe because of multipathing on HF. What you think Rick? I have not heard you so far ,maybe this evening I will listen up on or after gray line ok?
                            Ricky Kd4jrx

                            Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 3:40 PM

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013

                              Rick K6KB;

                              I will await darkness, also.  Perhaps a different band tomorrow?

                              Comment:  How about in the keyboard entry box having capability of CTL-A & DELete.  I hate using a mouse to Clear All and then have to hit Space to confirm the OK button.  I hate mouse work.    This is a keyboarding program after all.

                              Thanks for listening.

                              Regards,

                              George, WA6TVD

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013

                                Reno, NV.

                                George, WA6TVD

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                  Hi, Rick.

                                  One issue, so far:

                                  Flex 5K VAC functions well w/RMS Express and the Winmor TNC. Checked that before installing the new Chat4 client. Audio, CAT and XCVR control all function OK and I see decoded text from your station and a couple of others.  When I transmit, however, at the end of my TX, I don't see the waterfall and nothing is decoded. I have to close and then reopen Chat4 to reestablish the waterfall.  I checked again with RMS EXpress and it hasn't that issue. Chat4 exhibits the same behavior with a Bird load, so it's not an RF issue. Maybe a pointer gets lost in the TX-RX turnaround?

                                  I'm gonna run a short session and send the logs from that.

                                  Thanks and 73,

                                  Tom N4TAB in NC

                                  On 10/2/2013 12:05 PM, Rick Muething wrote:

[...]

                                • Tom Brown N4TAB

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013

                                      Here is Session Text Box after a BEACON and a Paste and Send CQ.

                                      Session:

                                      puheacon DE WA6TRD [gM09DJY

                                      ]q:
                                      mKLzTfQ CQ CQ""$b%xSWQ
                                      dLX[`>i^ii%Y8]2

                                      Keyboard Entry:

                                      TEST Beacon DE WA6TVD [DM09DJ]CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ DE WA6TVD

                                      CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ DE WA6TVD [DM09DJ] K K KCQ CQ CQ CQ CQ DE WA6TVD

                                      Regards, George, WA6TVD

                                    • ric5
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                        Ron that was you and I in QSO earlier this afternoon, Kd4jrx not KN6KB. Anyway I still firing away(beacon mode) on 10.110Mhz with 30 watts and a 30 meter inverted V wire antenna at 50 feet.
                                        I will go by  Ricky Kd4jrx how's that . See If that helps Ron.
                                        Ricky Kd4jrx FM14ab

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                          Band not very good today.
                                          Did get a partial from KD4JRX HFEC F (once B) FM14 WATHA NC, at least that's the best print I got on those. Got some from central Georgia. Looks like I got KD4JRX calling Rick and asking how the copy was.
                                          73
                                          Hoby KK8G MI EN62

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                                When I hear a signal, all I print is garbage.  When I try the decode test, I get nothing but garbage.  Must be doing something wrong...

                                                de N4AY
                                              • Ron Wenig
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                                  I saw your signal with some errors.  I don't think you copied my replies.  Here's your text.

                                                  N4AY>ÿ#ø^B}SCII(7bit); The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back. 0123456789N4AY: ASCII(Latin-1); €, ¢, £, ¥, ü, ¿Æ£¿“½ñÊßù¾ÍÖC‹…öð-ÿîe quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back. 0123456789F†@¨á•ÊìÀŽÁâ´¥×ñšl’”®žÉ0(Oybie qujok brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. 0123456789udEçIHAM4 TEST DE N4AYD½fyÞ>º©mfÙ¾é

                                                  73, Ron ny3j

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                                    Hi Ricky,

                                                    Yep, I saw enough of your text to make out what you were saying.  I also saw Rick's beacon and I thought I copied text from him and he said he had a phone call.  Hopefully the band gets better.

                                                    Ron ny3j

                                                  Message 25 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                                    GE All,

                                                    Downloaded latest after I got home from work (5PM).  Since then I have heard and decoded a number of KN6NB's beacon calls, NY3J calling N4AY, a number of quick brown foxes ...., several of W4WEBs tests and something about "PEST DE N4AY".

                                                    Thought you guys would like to know you are being heard in Ohio EM89cv.

                                                    Dave K3GAU

                                                    Message 26 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                                      Also getting good print from NY3J here is SW MI.
                                                      Only station printed so far.
                                                      Looking for you Dick.
                                                      Hoby KK8G

                                                        Message 28 of 28 , Oct 2, 2013
                                                          i copied this (with come crap removed) in en57rc:

                                                          HAM4 Test Beacon de KN6KB,  FL  [EL98pf

                                                          K1DOW: UTF-8; Unicode string

                                                          Delta (), Lambda
                                                           and Sigma (
                                                          K1DOW: ASCII

                                                          HAM4 Test B

                                                          de KN6KB, Rockledge, FL  [EL98pf

                                                           de KN6KB, Roc FL  [EL98pf]

                                                          CQ CQ CQ de K1DOW K1DOWCQ CQ CQ de K1DOW K1DOWCQ CQ CQ de K1DOW K1DOWpse K

                                                          Rick,

                                                          --
                                                          vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                                                          Jack Swift, N8WAV