New experimental mode HAM4 and Chat host program for robust keyboard mode..

  • kn6kb
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 10, 2013
      Initial Alpha release of Chat 0.1.0.1
      Chat and its' companion virtual TNC H4FSK TNC are designed for keyboard operation over HF. This is alpha code ….not well tested or documented yet but appears to be functional. If you are not an experimenter or get frustrated debugging software please wait a few weeks at least until the basic bugs have been worked out.
      Chat and the H4FSK TNC are an outgrowth of the V4 Chat and V4 Protocol released in 2010. I hope this (after initial debugging) will eliminate some of the limitations of V4 and prove to be a reliable keyboard FEC and ARQ mode. Here are the basic features and goals of the program and the Protocol:
      The protocol is called HAM4 short for HAMming Encoded 4 FSK. It uses the same modulation type as V4 (4FSK @ 46.875 baud) and the same bandwidth (200 Hz at -26 dB. However there are several changes that should make the HAM4 Protocol better especially for keyboard operations.
      1) Lower latency. The HAM4 FEC is included in each character (currently using a Hamming 11, 4 code shortened to 8,4 with a minimum distance of 3). A character consists of 6 4FSK symbols (12 bits) of which 8 are user or code bits. A character time is 128 ms. This translates to a very small latency in the range of 300 ms (the delay from sending the text from the keyboard until it prints to the remote stations screen). This is even lower than modes like PSK-31.
      2) Strong FEC. The shortened 8,4 code is soft decoded using a lookup table mechanism that computes the distance to the "closest" character. This gives approximately 2 dB additional coding gain (equivalent of increasing the power by about 60%). The soft decoding also allows plotting the received signal quality as each character is received. The soft block encoding on a character by character basis reduces sensitivity to burst errors.
      3) Full support for ASCII(7bit), extended ASCII(Latin-1), and UTF-8 (Unicode) character sets. This allows full support for most common languages and symbols.
      4) Fast and continuous tuning and sync tracking. The sync character (also 128 ms) is sent every 1.024 seconds. This non printing character allows fast and accurate DSP tuning to about .5 Hz accuracy and tracking of drifting or off frequency signals. Loss of sync can usually be recovered in 1 to 2 seconds.
      5) Good FEC and ARQ (Future) throughput. Nominal FEC throughput is approximately 6.8 eight bit characters per second or 68 words per minute.
      6) Future full binary ARQ capability with approximately 250 bytes/minute ARQ rate.
      If you are familiar with V4 Chat and the V4 protocol this should be easy to pick up. There is basic help but it needs refinement and expansion. Your feedback and comments are appreciated. Good luck and enjoy.
      Rick Muething, KN6KB rmuething@... KN6KB@...
    • dk3cw@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 10, 2013

        Thanks for improving the V4-Chat protocol, Rick.

        I've forwarded the new file to some EmComm and digital modes interested hams in Germany. As we did before, when V4Chat was released, we'll test and compare the new protocol with the old on. Expect some Bug reports and suggestion for improvements soon.

        vy 73 de Jakob DK3CW

        EmComm liaison officer Frankfurt / Main
        www.dk3cw.de

        When All Else Fails, Ham Radio Works

[...]

        -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht Ende-----

        ---
        Alle Postfächer an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! Rundum glücklich mit freenetMail
      • Juhani
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 10, 2013
          Tnx Rick!

          I have forwarded info to Finnish EmComm ("TURVA") members & others on HF digi modes in OH.
          I will load chat protocol soon and ready for beta testing
          73 "Yussi" OH7TE

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

            Yussi, All,

            I think there is a major bug when I built the last Chat and H4FSK TNC run…I will try and look at it today and tomorrow.

            Rick

            I have forwarded info to Finnish EmComm ("TURVA") members & others on HF digi modes in OH.
            I will load chat protocol soon and ready for beta testing
            73 "Yussi" OH7TE

            --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, dk3cw@... wrote:

            > Thanks for improving the V4-Chat protocol, Rick.
            > I've forwarded the new file to some EmComm and digital modes interested hams in Germany. As we did before, when V4Chat was released, we'll test and compare the new protocol with the old on. Expect some Bug reports and suggestion for improvements soon.
            >
            > vy 73 de Jakob DK3CW
            >
            > EmComm liaison officer Frankfurt / Main
            > www.dk3cw.de
            >
            > When All Else Fails, Ham Radio Works

          • ric5
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

              Is to my understanding the  H4 ARQ  does not work? You can only run  FEC  FD mode only? Because that’s the only mode I can grt to work in this new release? If I try to call CQ or put in a call into H4 ARQ   It’s just sets there and does nothing?

              QRV Rick Kd4jrx FM14ab

              I think there is a major bug when I built the last Chat and H4FSK TNC run…I will try and look at it today and tomorrow.

              Rick

              I have forwarded info to Finnish EmComm ("TURVA") members & others on HF digi modes in OH.
              I will load chat protocol soon and ready for beta testing
              73 "Yussi" OH7TE

              --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, dk3cw@... wrote:

              > Thanks for improving the V4-Chat protocol, Rick.
              > I've forwarded the new file to some EmComm and digital modes interested hams in Germany. As we did before, when V4Chat was released, we'll test and compare the new protocol with the old on. Expect some Bug reports and suggestion for improvements soon.
              >
              > vy 73 de Jakob DK3CW
              >
              > EmComm liaison officer Frankfurt / Main
              > www.dk3cw.de
              >
              > When All Else Fails, Ham Radio Works

            • Ron Wenig
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013
                Hi Rick,

                I heard your CW id and saw a couple of CQ's but no call sign.  I did send text out in FEC mode.  Rick said there was a bug so maybe it's not quite working yet.

                Ron ny3j

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

                    Yes I heard your signal , but it’s all  random numbers letters  ect. I’m going to swatch back to the old program and put out a call.

                    Rick Kd4jrx FM14ab

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

                      I think there is a sever bug in the H4FSK TNC that I uncovered last night…I may not be able to get to it today.

                      When all else fails ….read the help!   Even though the Chat and H4FSK TNC  help is currently “skinny” it clearly states that the ARQ mode is not implemented yet.  I want to get the bugs flushed out of the basic protocol first before adding ARQ  (just as I did in V4).   FEC and FEC FD are the same it is just if you truly want to run Full duplex you have to have a receiver that is receiving WHILE you are transmitting  otherwise even though the sound card is sampling while you are transmitting it is not going to receive any audio….Full duplex is not practical on HF unless cross banding.  Can be done on VHF/UHF with the right equipment.

                      I think the bug is something I introduced into the sync logic …pretty serious…but fixable ….just a matter of time, skill and programming as we say!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

                        Ok thanks for all you doing. In time you will get it all worked out I’m sure.

                        Time being the key word I’m sure J

                        73 Rick Kd4jrx

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

                          No I’m not , let me ask a question ? In the setup,  under character set what should I be using?

                          Rick Kd4jrx

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

                            I just saw your email about switching back to the old V4Chat and I'm trying to connect to you.  I'm not sure about the character set I just used whatever the default was.

                            Ron ny3j

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

                                Ron,

                                Nice QSO on V4 chat enjoyed that a lot. Yes you right the V4 software by no means Is old . Should I say the earlier version how’s that.   Yes Rick is doing a wonderful  job. I don’t see how he does it all myself. My hats off to his hard work !

                                Yes hope to work you again soon, and If you like before the summer E SKIP season is gone I would like to wk you ,or someone on V4 Chat on the  6 meter band.

                                We will keep our eyes out for any updates on the  H4 ARQ debugging and  hope to wk you on it down the waterfall…..

                                73 Rick Kd4jrx FM14ab

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 11, 2013

                                  Re Chat and the new H4FSK TNC:

                                  If you use the default character set of ASCII(Latin-1) it will work for everything except the multi byte characters of UTF-8.   ASCII(7bit) is a sub set (the first 128 characters) of ASCI(Latin-1)  but will also work for any all English messages.

                                  There is a bug in the sync algorithm I will have to hunt down.

                                  Rick KN6KB

                                  No I’m not , let me ask a question ? In the setup,  under character set what should I be using?

                                  Rick Kd4jrx

                                  I think there is a major bug when I built the last Chat and H4FSK TNC run…I will try and look at it today and tomorrow.

                                  Rick

                                  I have forwarded info to Finnish EmComm ("TURVA") members & others on HF digi modes in OH.
                                  I will load chat protocol soon and ready for beta testing
                                  73 "Yussi" OH7TE

                                  --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, dk3cw@... wrote:

                                  > Thanks for improving the V4-Chat protocol, Rick.
                                  > I've forwarded the new file to some EmComm and digital modes interested hams in Germany. As we did before, when V4Chat was released, we'll test and compare the new protocol with the old on. Expect some Bug reports and suggestion for improvements soon.
                                  >
                                  > vy 73 de Jakob DK3CW
                                  >
                                  > EmComm liaison officer Frankfurt / Main
                                  > www.dk3cw.de
                                  >
                                  > When All Else Fails, Ham Radio Works

                                • oh5rm
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 12, 2013
                                    Hello,

                                    Have been testing with oh7te on 80m but only managed to copy some random parts of words.
                                    The capture window stays at TUNE even with good signal unless I turn squelch to 1..2 but then copy garbage letters.
                                    What is the normal function of capture window and what is TUNE for?

                                    73 Jouko OH5RM