Re: [V4Protocol] Re: FSK CW ID

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
      Joe, All,

      The keying methods for WINMOR and V4 are similar. There are several possible methods.... any will work when set up correctly.

      1) VOX or VOX type keying.  The virtual TNC adds a longer leader to allow the transmitter VOX (or in the case of a sound activated PTT like on the SignaLink USB or similar interfaces) to key the transmitter.  If using the SignaLink  you MUST have the PTT output wired to the radio and you MUST keep the DLY control fully CCW. For Transmitter VOX you should have the VOX hold or delay set to minimum.

      2) Using a the DTR or RTS signals of a dedicated serial port.  This may have to be level shifted or go through a relay to key the transmitter.

      3) On those radios that support “CAT PTT” the software will issue a PTT ON/OFF command to the software.

      The Help should elaborate on these methods and how to set them up.

      The acid test is to look at the T>R  latency as measured when calling for a connection. No matter which method you use the latency must be < 250 ms.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013

        Thanks for the info. I'm using the Creative AudioPCI for audio transport, and a serial-port circuit (RTS pin with 2N2222 and a base resistor & diode) for PTT. I observe my latency to be between 30ms and 60ms when sending connection requests. What seems strange to me is that with the exact same hardware I get the two-tone ID on V4 but CW (single-tone) ID on Winmor. I have both software packages set up identically in terms of using CAT for frequency control and serial-port PTT control. I do not use CAT for PTT.

        73,
        -Joe-

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
          Joe,

          That sounds like a bug in the V4 CWID...it is supposed to drop back to ON OFF keying (single tone) if VOX keying is not used.  The only reason you need FSK keying is to keep the VOX relay from chattering.  Of course it only affects the ID and both ON OFF keying and FSK CW are legal ID.

          Rick

          --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

          > Joe, All,
          >
          > The keying methods for WINMOR and V4 are similar. There are several
          possible methods.... any will work when set up correctly.

          > 1)
          VOX or VOX type keying. The virtual TNC adds a longer leader to allow the transmitter VOX (or in the case of a sound activated PTT like on the SignaLink USB or similar interfaces) to key the transmitter. If using the SignaLink you MUST have the PTT output wired to the radio and you MUST keep the DLY control fully CCW. For Transmitter VOX you should have the VOX hold or delay set to minimum.

          > 2) Using a the DTR or RTS signals of a dedicated
          serial port. This may have to be level shifted or go through a relay to key the transmitter.

          > 3) On those radios that support “CAT PTT” the
          software will issue a PTT ON/OFF command to the software.

          > The
          Help should elaborate on these methods and how to set them up.

          The acid test is to look at the T>R latency as measured when calling for a connection. No matter which method you use the latency must be < 250 ms.

          href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [V4Protocol] Re: FSK CW ID
          >

          > Joe. I
          observed on the RMS Express using Winmor, and on RMS Trimode. Did not so far check on myself on V4. We need inventor of both, Rick, chiming in.

          > I believe the soundcard and way of keying is part of the issue.

          Finn/LA7UM

          > --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "k0og"
          <counsil@> wrote:

          > > Finn, thanks for your
          observations.

          > > I'm using an old but reliable Creative
          AudioPCI (Sound Blaster) sound card in my WinXP PC. With this same system, I get different results with Winmor than I do with V4 when issuing the Morse-code ID. I find no parameter that would control the ID behavior in the .ini files for RMS Express/Winmor nor V4.

          > > -Joe-
          > >
          > > --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "la7um" <la7um@>
          wrote:

          > > > Joe. If using IC7200 or IC7600, or
          Kenw TS590, with inbuilt soundcard you get "pure CW". If using external SignaLink USB you get FSK version. 73. Finn/LA7UM

          > > > --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "k0og" <counsil@>

          question, but more for curiosity's sake...

          many others are in FSK. In the V4 modem my ID is in FSK. Can I set it to CW instead? I looked in the .ini file but saw no option for that.

        • k0og
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013

            Ahhh - there's a clue! I'll double-check the settings in V4 to make sure I don't have VOX enabled anywhere. I'll report back to the group after I check that.

            Thanks & 73,
            -Joe-

            > Joe,
            >
            > That sounds like a bug in the V4 CWID...it is supposed to drop back to ON OFF keying (single tone) if VOX keying is not used. The only reason you need FSK keying is to keep the VOX relay from chattering. Of course it only affects the ID and both ON OFF keying and FSK CW are legal ID.
            >
            > Rick

          • k0og
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013

              I just did some more studying and testing, and have to conclude that there is indeed a bug in the software. When I use either CAT or serial-port PTT, it still uses the dual-tone ID.

              73,
              -Joe-

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
                Joe,

                It may be that I just didn’t enable the ON OFF keying....As I said it is a minor issue.... It is just the legal ID .  Anyone running V4 can copy the ID on the screen.  I Don’t have the time right now to go and and work on that.

                Rick KN6KB

                href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@> wrote:

                > > Joe,
                > >
                > > That sounds like a bug in the V4 CWID...it is supposed to
                drop back to ON OFF keying (single tone) if VOX keying is not used. The only reason you need FSK keying is to keep the VOX relay from chattering. Of course it only affects the ID and both ON OFF keying and FSK CW are legal ID.

                > > Rick

                29, 2013 5:32 PM
                > > > To: mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com
                > > > Subject: [V4Protocol] Re: FSK CW ID
                > > >

                > > > Joe. I observed on the RMS Express using
                Winmor, and on RMS Trimode. Did not so far check on myself on V4. We need inventor of both, Rick, chiming in.

                believe the soundcard and way of keying is part of the issue.

                Finn/LA7UM

                > > > --- In

                AudioPCI (Sound Blaster) sound card in my WinXP PC. With this same system, I get different results with Winmor than I do with V4 when issuing the Morse-code ID. I find no parameter that would control the ID behavior in the .ini files for RMS Express/Winmor nor V4.

                -Joe-

                Kenw TS590, with inbuilt soundcard you get "pure CW". If using external SignaLink USB you get FSK version. 73. Finn/LA7UM

                the Winmor modem my ID is in CW (single-tone), yet I notice that many others are in FSK. In the V4 modem my ID is in FSK. Can I set it to CW instead? I looked in the .ini file but saw no option for that.

                -Joe-

              • k0og
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013

                  Yes, it is a minor issue - no problem putting it on the back burner to get to when it is convenient.

                  Thanks for your efforts with V4 and Winmor - you've brought some useful (and fun!) tools to us all.

                  73,
                  -Joe-