Net control using V4Chat and BELL

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
      I am planning some easter exercice locally (maybe country wide). I want our RMS E users looking at V4Chat as well. A BELL alert sounding button might be handy.

      I believe though that it must be client controllable shutting it off if operator is alert, but MUST work silent.

      A handy setup might be simultanuous use of RMS E auto polling in telnet mode if inet. Auto polling in packet if available. Manual HF polling in either Winmor or Pactor for mail if the only option.

      Some HF rigs perhaps give port conflicts opening V4 and RMSE at the same time? Perhaps CIV/CAT controll also might do that?

      If using a SignaLink using its vox PTT controll and manual frequency controll of Rig, my IC 706 lets me listen stby V4Chat and RMS Expr Winmor HF at the same time. First come, first serve.

      IF running FEC mode, no danger at all.

      What about a BELL alert button?

      73 Finn/LA7UM
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
        Finn,

        Believe it or not I actually do have other things to do than program 24 hours a day..(it already consumes 6+ hours most days!).

        The conflicts of V4 and RMS Express (com ports and sound cards) are simply because you can’t have two programs talking to the same hardware at the same time.  That is both a Windows restriction and a logical restriction.  (Just like you and your wife can’t drive the same car in two directions at the same time!)

        And yes a special function could be done to intercept a special character and play a bell sound when it is received.  There are also things I can do to increase the speed and improve the weak signal response and increase the robustness of V4.  But honestly I just don’t have the time now to do this. When Vic passed away we lost a significant (and very productive) fraction of our Winlink programming team so now we all are picking up the work Vic was doing and implementing important  improvements on some of the Winlink programs and systems.

        Perhaps when I am on a scheduled RV trip this summer I can spend some time with V4 but not now.

        73,

        Rick KN6KB (author of WINMOR and V4)

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
          Hi,

          I am using the N3ZH_software to control my M710 with V4. That works fine.

          Depending on the environment I may be able to help with programming,
          but as I am no fan of MS only if Borland C/C++ may be used. (The only thing I have with me heading out into the pacific).

          Very nice would be to have a couple of freq. and times when we have a net with v4 users.

          Rolf, SA7CCY

          > Finn,
          >
          > Believe it or not I actually do have other things to do than program 24 hours a day..(it already consumes 6+ hours most days!).
          >
          > The conflicts of V4 and RMS Express (com ports and sound cards) are simply because you can’t have two programs talking to the same hardware at the same time. That is both a Windows restriction and a logical restriction. (Just like you and your wife can’t drive the same car in two directions at the same time!)
          >
          > And yes a special function could be done to intercept a special character and play a bell sound when it is received. There are also things I can do to increase the speed and improve the weak signal response and increase the robustness of V4. But honestly I just don’t have the time now to do this. When Vic passed away we lost a significant (and very productive) fraction of our Winlink programming team so now we all are picking up the work Vic was doing and implementing important improvements on some of the Winlink programs and systems.
          >
          > Perhaps when I am on a scheduled RV trip this summer I can spend some time with V4 but not now.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Rick KN6KB (author of WINMOR and V4)

        • Alex Shafarenko
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
            On 12 Mar 2013, at 14:02, apis.mellifera@... wrote:

            Very nice would be to have a couple of freq. and times when we have a net with v4 users.

            Hear hear

            Alex M0SFR
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
              Rick. Believe it, I understand the impact of the loss of Vic. My suggestion is kind of "BELLs and wistles".... Also charaterset UTF8 in due time would be handy.

              But I don't understand that you can have time for doing anything else than programming. Perhaps wife is steering the car all the time so no conflict, and you are a back seat "programmer" when on the road, hihi.

              Take it as mere suggestion at a time I remember it, for perhaps doing it when times comes.

              73. Finn/LA7UM

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
                I agree. Finding some one is hit and more like miss

                Don
                va7dgp

                On Tuesday, March 12, 2013, Alex Shafarenko wrote:

                On 12 Mar 2013, at 14:02, apis.mellifera@... wrote:

                Very nice would be to have a couple of freq. and times when we have a net with v4 users.

                Hear hear

                Alex M0SFR

              • Ian Wade G3NRW
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
                  From: Don Poaps <va7dgp@...>
                  Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 Time: 10:30:12

                  >I agree. Finding some one is hit and more like miss

                  The one-stop watering hole for arranging digital skeds is:

                  http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=digitalradio

                  It is in good use every day. Just post a message there, and you will be
                  talking V4 in a matter of minutes!

                  Also take a look at the 30m Band Utilization Chart to see where V4 fits
                  in on 30m:

                  Ian, G3NRW

                  The 30m Band Utilization Chart:

                  The UK 60m Band Utilization Chart: