Re: [V4Protocol] 20 and 40 meters

  • wb0kgn@q.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
      Grounding??  Does the system have the equivalent of a counterpoise??
      Dave wb0kgn

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012

        I currently run XP Pro and my kids are here for Christmas and are
        recommending I bite the bullet and go to Win 8.  I am not currently operating on V4
        but have it installed and would like to be able to operate
        When Win 8 comments have been on the reflectors I'm on I ignored since I
        never expected to go there

        Dave W9NWY

      • Leo yudysky
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
          David w9nwy
          I have Win 7 on this laptop and it works fine, I've heard Win 8 is no great gain over 7 but if your way back in Xp or something it would be good to do.  I've shed alot of problems since upgrading, use to have rf reboots every few minutes , since then I replace the laptop, put ferrite rings on everything, got a new tuner so that I can get the swr down flat.  It seems the tapped coil type tuners just don't get your swr down as well, just my observation.
          Hope you get some more input on your idea....
          Leo
          kf7oni
          Whitefish, Montana

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
              Dave, wb0kgn
              That's an excellent point you bring up about a counterpoise for that type of antenna, right on the money.  Just bet he is getting rf back into the shack, it has all the symptoms doesn't it?
              My wife has a simple DXLB 160-10 dipole and it doesn't take much real estate and works great, very do-able.  I have it top hat style or level , I would have liked to droop the ends for better lower angle take off but I didn't want to have any ground obstacles.  Even my back guys for my tower I put up 6 feet to keep the deer from hanging themselves.
              Leo kf7oni

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
                I have four guys for my tower.  Two are used also for 40 meter inverted vee, and tow for 80 meter inverted vee.  I used three eights inch stainless steel cable and compression insulators.  Two of the guys are held up with three inch caste iron water pipe 20 feet long.  I couldn't handle a 20 foot section of pipe, so I had it cut and used pipe unions.  I put a 10 foot section in the ground using a water hose down the inside of the pipe.  This left a hole double the diameter needed for the pipe...so I filled it with concrete.    Then I fastened the other ten feet.

                Dave