20 and 40 meters

  • Paul Harris
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
      Heard WB6JFH,N4AY,KF7ONI on 20 meters 22:37 utc.
      Heard N4AY on 40,  Trouble is they couldnt hear me, I ran  kit up to 50 watts and had RF freeze computer.
      Paul KB2VEC.
    • Ron Wenig

        Message 4 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
          only sig on 40M was  NY3J

          Gary

          Message 5 of 12 , Dec 25, 2012
            Paul,
            I had that problem before too!!
            What kind of tuner do you have?
            Do you have ferrite rings on all leads to your computer?
            I changed out my old tuner , a Kenwood tapped coil, AT180 with a Palstar AT4k, I believe it cured it for me...
            Leo
            kf7oni
            Whitefish, Mt.
            p.s. thanks for the post as I was wondering why I couldn't find you that day.

            • wb0kgn@q.com
              Message 7 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
                Grounding??  Does the system have the equivalent of a counterpoise??
                Dave wb0kgn

                Message 8 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012

                  I currently run XP Pro and my kids are here for Christmas and are
                  recommending I bite the bullet and go to Win 8.  I am not currently operating on V4
                  but have it installed and would like to be able to operate
                  When Win 8 comments have been on the reflectors I'm on I ignored since I
                  never expected to go there

                  Dave W9NWY

                • Leo yudysky
                  Message 9 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
                    David w9nwy
                    I have Win 7 on this laptop and it works fine, I've heard Win 8 is no great gain over 7 but if your way back in Xp or something it would be good to do.  I've shed alot of problems since upgrading, use to have rf reboots every few minutes , since then I replace the laptop, put ferrite rings on everything, got a new tuner so that I can get the swr down flat.  It seems the tapped coil type tuners just don't get your swr down as well, just my observation.
                    Hope you get some more input on your idea....
                    Leo
                    kf7oni
                    Whitefish, Montana

                      Message 11 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
                        Dave, wb0kgn
                        That's an excellent point you bring up about a counterpoise for that type of antenna, right on the money.  Just bet he is getting rf back into the shack, it has all the symptoms doesn't it?
                        My wife has a simple DXLB 160-10 dipole and it doesn't take much real estate and works great, very do-able.  I have it top hat style or level , I would have liked to droop the ends for better lower angle take off but I didn't want to have any ground obstacles.  Even my back guys for my tower I put up 6 feet to keep the deer from hanging themselves.
                        Leo kf7oni

                        Message 12 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
                          I have four guys for my tower.  Two are used also for 40 meter inverted vee, and tow for 80 meter inverted vee.  I used three eights inch stainless steel cable and compression insulators.  Two of the guys are held up with three inch caste iron water pipe 20 feet long.  I couldn't handle a 20 foot section of pipe, so I had it cut and used pipe unions.  I put a 10 foot section in the ground using a water hose down the inside of the pipe.  This left a hole double the diameter needed for the pipe...so I filled it with concrete.    Then I fastened the other ten feet.

                          Dave