Re: V4 vs ALE400

  • Glenn L. Roeser
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
      Hi Ted,
      Thanks for the info. I had used ALE400 in the past, but not for some time, so I must admitt I did nothing about adjusting the settings. We just switched over to ALE400 ran it for awile then switched back to V4. While using the V4 we had better throughput with a lot less retries.
      Before I try such a test again I'll be sure to take your advice and set it for optimun performance.
      Very 73, Glenn WB2LMV

    • Ted Trostle
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
        And Phil the point of your statement is....

        --
        Ted, WB2LOU

        You cannot change history, but you can make history !
        The legal cure for Ignorance is Education. The Stupidity of many is incurable.

      • Phil Williams
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
          Just what I said.  That's is the point.

          On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Ted Trostle <ttrostle35@...> wrote:

          And Phil the point of your statement is....

          --
          Ted, WB2LOU

          You cannot change history, but you can make history !
          The legal cure for Ignorance is Education. The Stupidity of many is incurable.

          --
          Phil KA1GMN
          Experimental Station - WF9XJD
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012

            What type of soundcard interface were you using for the test ??

            ALE400 does not work as well as it can using VOX type interfaces,,(Signalink,etc)

            Thats why the change in settings for the 1sec delay that the other poster said.

            Using hard PTT(serial port/USB serial port) -- It works great out of the box.

            I also have been using ALE400 for years, and find it hard to beat(for the cost..lol)

            Trip - KT4WO
            kt4wo67@...

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
              Glenn,
              Well there are always a tradeoffs of speed, bandwidth and robustness...goes back to Shannon’s theorm I think.  (Part of what I sometimes refer to the “no free lunch” theorem!). In general FSK is better for robustness than PSK especially in poor multipath channels.  The idea I have with CHIRP is it is like FSK but the tone continuously changes (chirps) throughout the symbol so it is more immune to selective fading which can wipe out a particular single frequency FSK carrier like is used in V4, Pactor 1, Olivia etc.  Chirp has been used extensively in some radars and Sonar but is generally wider bandwidth there of course.

              In properly written DSP code amplitudes (if used) are generally ratioed during demodulation so absolute levels are not that important provided they don’t saturate the sound card. We are generally working with fairly weak signals (often 20 db S/N or less ) so the full range of a 16 bit A-D (about 90 dB) is not usually used provided the radio has AGC.

              Still much too early to know how effective narrow band CHIRP will be for keyboard text (I’m targeting something > 40 words per minute in < 500 Hz) but at least I’ll probably learn something along the way!!!

              Rick KN6KB

              Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 11:27 AM
              Subject: Re: [V4Protocol] V4 vs ALE400

              Hello Rick,
              It was during fading that the V4 program did better, and for some reason and I do not know why, the V4 program was running about 2 s units stronger on peaks. Maybe due to a more concentrated audio response from the soundcard?
              It isn't often anymore where we all are experencing good band conditions, so any mode that can print at 100% and not crawl along is a plus. I always liked Olivia because it performed well, but it is very slow and if I used a different configuration to speed things up some, I would lose data. I enjoy the speed of V4 because I am not a fast typist and I don't feel as if I'm being chased by a wide boar trying to keep up with the buffer. Thanks for a great program.
              Very 73, Glenn WB2LMV

              No virus found in this message.

            • Glenn L. Roeser
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
                Hi Trip,
                I am using the Rigblaster plus utilizing RTS.
                Very 73, Glenn WB2LMV
              • Glenn L. Roeser
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 11, 2012
                  I know that most who have read your post about the Chirp mode will be anxiously awaiting it's release! Me too! I know that as a digital mode operator I am always looking for the mode that can print signals which are way below the noise level. JT65 and WSPR prove that it can be done, but those are not good for chats, so there is always that trade off. (-= I also like the modes that are not too wide, with all the different modes, and we each have a favorite, we really need to be able to share the little bandwidth that we have without interfering with one another. PSK10 is VERY narrow but the throughput is VERY slow. So I'm ready when you are to start using the new Chirp!
                  Very 73, Glenn