Re: [V4Protocol] V4 1.0.3 bug -- TS-590S memory frequencies not read

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2012
      Stan,

      Its almost NEVER as simple as a one variable change!   Reading the displayed memory value using “FA”  breaks the existing and asked for features of Click to tune and following the Tuning knob.  It also makes the frequency readout function require a different command and parsing than all other Kenwood models.

      The only way I can see is offering the user a more complex optional setup that ends up being unique for the TS-590S.

      You can make everything work now as-is with one additional button push on the TS-590S   “M>V”  after you recall a saved memory.
      See my explanation to Ian.

      Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:05 AM
      Subject: Re: [V4Protocol] V4 1.0.3 bug -- TS-590S memory frequencies not read

      Ian,
      That is the best explanation of a problem and the solution I have heard in the past 15 years! Perhaps ever! It should be a simple fix, also. Hopefully, only one variable has to be changed in the code.

      Way to go!

      Stan Kozlowitz

      aa5xo@...
      aa5xo@...
      NNN0YSD@...

      731-487-3359

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2012
        From: Rick Muething <rmuething@...>
        Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 Time: 11:33:04

        >When you click an item in the mini contact log it will set the radio to that
        >frequency (assuming a valid frequency is in the log) using the FA
        >command...

        Correct.

        >You wouldn’t want to set a memory location with that.

        Correct. But I am talking about *reading* the radio's frequency, not
        *setting* it. I am not suggesting you try to change a memory location.

        >When you rotate the tuning knob manually you want the waterfall display
        >to “track” showing the center RF frequency and that requires reading the
        >FA since you are reading the currently tuned frequency not the saved
        >memory.  The displayed frequency won’t change with a tuning knob
        >rotation on a memory recall (unless it is transferred to VFO using the M>V
        >button)

        Not correct. There is an option in the TS-590S (menu 18) that lets you
        override the memory. If menu 18 is set to ON, you can change the
        frequency with FA.

        >When you click on  a nearby signal showing on the waterfall or spectrum
        >display you want to change the VFO frequency to center that signal (to
        >the red line) and that requires using the FA command.

        No problem, provided menu 18 is ON.

        >So I am not sure that reading the memory frequency (displayed frequency
        >using the IF command) makes sense as the above 3 operations are based
        >on the A VFO.

        >You can on the TS-590S of course simply do a Memory
        >recall followed by a M>V push which transfers the memory contents to
        >VFO which then permits the display, following the tuning knob and click to
        >tune capability above. These are important features users have asked for.

        All the user has to do is set menu 18 to ON, and your code will work for
        *setting* the VFO. No need for M>V.

        But I am talking about *reading* the radio's frequency, not *setting*
        it.

        [Snip]

        >I want to keep the setup options minimized and having multiple ways of
        >reading the frequency (Memory, VFO A, VFO B etc) are all possible but
        >add confusion and complexity.

        With respect, it is *extremely* confusing when you see a frequency on
        the radio display that is totally unrelated to the center frequency on
        the V4 display. Above all, the radio display is what counts, and you
        need to bend V4 to fit.

        Ian, G3NRW
      • Stan Kozlowitz
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2012
          You are right, Rick.  I typed without much thought.  And I'm sure extra features for one radio is not worth the effort.  Still, I don't think the option to choose the existing feature or the click-to-tune feature would be too difficult to implement.

          Thanks for all your hard work.

          Stan Kozlowitz

          aa5xo@...
          aa5xo@...
          NNN0YSD@...

          731-487-3359

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2012
            Ian,

            Thanks.

            Setting menu 18 to “tunable” makes a big difference. Then it can work as I described.  Rather than actually changing those menu settings in the program I’ll write it up in the Help setup for the TS-590S.  I don’t like to add more complexity there by changing more menu functions than are needed. The only downside is it takes special code since the readback and parsing are non standard (compared to other Kenwood models).  I’ll have to dig in and see if Icom has something equivalent on the 7200 and 7600.

            I’ll put the change it on my list....I wish however there was more time to work on some of the more critical things like improving the BER in weak conditions. Those kinds of enhancements benefit all users.

            Thanks again for the input.

            Rick KN6KB

            Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:55 PM

            From: Rick Muething <mailto:rmuething%40cfl.rr.com>
            Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 Time: 11:33:04

            >When you click an item in
            the mini contact log it will set the radio to that
            >frequency (assuming a
            valid frequency is in the log) using the FA
            >command...

            Correct.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2012
              From: Rick Muething <rmuething@...>
              Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 Time: 15:30:05

              >Setting menu 18 to “tunable” makes a big difference. Then it can work as I
              >described.  Rather than actually changing those menu settings in the
              >program I’ll write it up in the Help setup for the TS-590S.  I don’t like to add
              >more complexity there by changing more menu functions than are needed.
              >The only downside is it takes special code since the readback and parsing
              >are non standard (compared to other Kenwood models).  I’ll have to dig in
              >and see if Icom has something equivalent on the 7200 and 7600.

              >I’ll put the change it on my list....I wish however there was more time to
              >work on some of the more critical things like improving the BER in weak
              >conditions. Those kinds of enhancements benefit all users.

              Rick

              Agreed on all points. And, yes, spending more time on improving weak
              signal handling is much more important (and interesting!) than tweaking
              CAT commands.

              Good luck.

              Ian, G3NRW