TS-590 USB Data Mode

  • Ron Wenig
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
      Hi Rick,

      I have a Kenwood TS-590 radio and I am using V4 Chat version 1.0.2.0.
      In the radio setup I have USB Data selected. When the program switches
      frequency it will also switch the radio's mode to FSK instead of USB
      Data. When I select USB the radio will switch to USB then I have to
      manually select Data mode on the radio. Is this because the program is
      sending the wrong command to the radio.

      73, Ron ny3j
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
        Ron,
        I probably missed something. I used code from another application for the TS-590S.  It should be USB digital and it also has to switch the internal mux from Aux to USB sound card input to the radio.  I’ll check it out ...may be a day or two. I have a TS-590 here just not currently setup.

        Rick KN6KB

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
          Ron,

          I found several problems in the code for the TS-590S (a result of not checking the patched in code from another project!) There were also several errors in the Help for the setup.  I have it running fine now here on my TS-590S.  There is no need for a serial cable for PTT control ...the new code will correctly control the PTT though the normal USB port and set the internal mux of the TS-590S to select the USB sound card output as well as put the radio into the correct mode of USB Data.  I will get an update out for this tomorrow along with the updated help.

          Rick

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2012
              Ok Rick,

              I misunderstood you before.  I thought the change was going to be using the serial port.  I didn't understand the internal mux.  I have updated to 1.0.3.0 and am now using just the USB port using the setup instructions in the help section.  I am getting a Latency reading of between 50 and 110.  Rig control works great and it is now setting my radio to USB Data mode.  Things are working really good.  Thanks.

              Ron ny3j

            Message 6 of 9 , Jun 18, 2012
              Fine Ron,

              Glad it is working OK.  I am using it here.

              The same simple setup works well with RMS Express using the WINMOR sound card protocol (see ftp://autoupdate.winlink.org/User%20Programs/ ) . RMS Express lets you send messages with attachments to other hams or to internet recipients through the WL2K system.

              I really like the simplicity of setup using radios like the the TS-590S and IC–7200  with sound card modes.

                Message 8 of 9 , Jun 18, 2012
                  : get more interest in RMS Express on HF but I can't get people to put
                  : forth the effort to learn how to setup and use the program.

                  Info? Link?

                  Kurt
                • Ron Wenig
                  Message 9 of 9 , Jun 19, 2012