Re: [V4Protocol] Announcement -- TS-590S TechNote: SSB Audio Handling v1.0

  • Ian Wade G3NRW
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2012
      From: Rick Muething <rmuething@...>
      Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 Time: 07:30:28

      >In general what do you think of the TS-590 and have you compared it to
      >the Icom 7200?

      Rick

      My thoughts on the TS-590S tally very closely with most of the reviews
      on Eham -- in other words, I am extremely happy with it all round (but
      especially the receiver, which is outstanding for a radio in this price
      bracket). I have no experience of the IC-7200, so I can't offer any
      comparison.

      >One thing I would be interested in too is if you have made any
      >measurements (they aren’t easy to measure) of the sample rate accuracy
      >of the built in sound card.

      [Snip]

      No, I haven't made any detailed sample rate accuracy measurements with
      the TS-590S or PC sound cards. That is something I want to look at in
      more detail. I have not played much with low-level signals or multiple
      carrier signals on this radio, where sampling accuracy can obviously
      make quite a difference.

      >I suspect Kenwood and Icom are using a
      >generic USB CODEC sound chip

      The TS-590S uses the PCM2903B stereo audio CODEC:

      http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm2903b.pdf

      >I have been keeping up with (and making occasional contributions to) the
      >work on a open source Voice codec (good voice quality at about 1200
      >bits/sec and 1500 Hz bandwidth). This is being done by David Rowe in
      >Australia and it would be a perfect fit for a radio like the TS-590.  David has
      >achieved better performance than the proprietary CODEC used in the
      >D-Star radios and I think will soon have the matching HF Modem ready for
      >initial beta testing.

      The whole world is very much looking forward to this!

      Finally, all your comments are most interesting -- sorry I can't add
      much to them.

      Ian, G3NRW
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2012
        Thanks Ian,

        If I recall there is a fairly simple utility in Mix W that does a fair job of estimating Sound card sample rate. It uses the internal clock of the PC To calculate sound card sample rate over many thousand samples to get some form of a long term average.  I guess the typical reference clock (time of day clock) in the PC is more accurate than typical sound card sample rate clocks and you get fairly repeatable results with this utility. Its probably not as good as using WWV or precision references but  its easy to use and set up.  I’ll try and run some tests on the 7200 later in the week.

        Rick KN6KB

        Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 3:54 PM
        Subject: Re: [V4Protocol] Announcement -- TS-590S TechNote: SSB Audio Handling v1.0

        From: Rick Muething <mailto:rmuething%40cfl.rr.com>
        Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 Time: 07:30:28

        >In general what do you think of the
        TS-590 and have you compared it to
        >the Icom 7200?

        Rick

        My thoughts on the TS-590S tally very closely with most of the reviews
        on Eham -- in other words, I am extremely happy with it all round (but
        especially the receiver, which is outstanding for a radio in this price
        bracket). I have no experience of the IC-7200, so I can't offer any
        comparison.

        >One thing I would be interested in too is if
        you have made any
        >measurements (they aren’t easy to measure) of the
        sample rate accuracy
        >of the built in sound card.

        [Snip]

        No, I haven't made any detailed sample rate accuracy measurements with
        the TS-590S or PC sound cards. That is something I want to look at in
        more detail. I have not played much with low-level signals or multiple
        carrier signals on this radio, where sampling accuracy can obviously
        make quite a difference.

        >I suspect
        Kenwood and Icom are using a
        >generic USB CODEC sound chip

        The TS-590S uses the PCM2903B stereo audio CODEC:

        http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm2903b.pdf

        >I have been keeping up with (and making occasional contributions to)
        the
        >work on a open source Voice codec (good voice quality at about
        1200
        >bits/sec and 1500 Hz bandwidth). This is being done by David Rowe
        in
        >Australia and it would be a perfect fit for a radio like the
        TS-590.  David has
        >achieved better performance than the proprietary
        CODEC used in the
        >D-Star radios and I think will soon have the matching
        HF Modem ready for
        >initial beta testing.

        The whole world is very much looking forward to this!

        Finally, all your comments are most interesting -- sorry I can't add
        much to them.

        Ian, G3NRW

      • siegfried jackstien
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24, 2012
          Multipsk also has such a fuction

          My onboard shows 47999 or 48000 when doin several tests ... so my soundchip
          seems to be

        • tuxsteveo
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2012
            When I open up my signalink it has a PCM2904 in it. I have looked at both the PCM2903a and PCM2904 spec sheets and the only differences I see is one works and 3.3 volts and one works at 5 volts.
            Rick if you were to port the 590 to the trimode you would need toggle menu 63 to the port you wanted to transmit on acc for pactor and usb for winmor. You would also have to have menu 69 on for data vox for winmor to work. You could also get into the filters also. I have RMSE working on both Winmor internal sound card and Pactor with a SCS ProII on the acc port the will both receive at the same time. Winmor works great on the 590.(V4 also!!!)

            73 Steve N9LOH