RE: [V4Protocol] How about a YouTube demo?

  • Lee Swanson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2012
      After V4Chat advanced from version .5.1.9 to .5.2.x.x the software has performed flawlessly on an old FT900 Yaesu.  My latency averages from 17 to 80.  It's a sweet little program and works great for long-winded ragchew sessions.  If anything is going to be the problem, it will more than likely be too slow of a keying relay.  When you are calling CQ, pay close attention to what the latency is reading.  The help files suggest that a latency less than 250ms.  20 meters is a fairly good place to hang out on 14,073 and 14,074 during daylight hours as long as there are not any weekend contests.  I  have had several 45 minute qsos on V4Chat with hardly any repeats.  This mode along with ALE400 are making for some nice long-winded keyboard chats.  Whatever you do, do not give up on V4Chat because one you get some good band condtions, you will  have trouble find frequency space to squeak i n a contact.

      I'll be listening on and off throught  daylight hours on 14073 during the weekends.

      NR5G

      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
      From: w0aew@...
      Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 21:20:17 +0000
      Subject: [V4Protocol] How about a YouTube demo?

      Has one been done? I've "connected" with stations but neither of us actually exchanged any messages. Seems simple for those who already know, but I don't know if I'm missing a step or if the connection is too poor to proceed. I've had similar experiences with the ALE system (can connect but the link eventually times out...unable to proceed further). I've been told that was due to slow switching of my TenTec Argonaut V, that my computer is too slow, etc. etc.

      Anyhow, a quick YouTube video would clear up some of these issues.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2012
        Almost any modern computer and radio should run V4CHat and the V4 TNC.  Slow “switching” is almost always caused by:
        1) SignaLink USB or similar sound card/interface with the DLY set too long.  Should ALWAYS be set to minimum for V4 and WINMOR
        2) Using your radio’s VOX with its Delay or “Hold” control set too high. Again set to minimum as the help file describes.

        The Latency is automatically measured by the program when you call a CQ or other station.  Any latency measurement under 250 ms will be fine.

        Many newcomers to V4 are not familiar with ARQ modes and how the “link” is turned over.  Its fairly simple and described in the V4 Chat help.

        I will always try and answer questions but I am pretty swamped right now on another project. Hopefully will have time this summer to work on some V4 enahancements.

        73,

        Rick Muething, KN6KB (V4, WINMOR  Author)