UPDATE// V-4 HAS STOPPED WORKING DATE

  • K4PDW
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25 6:22 PM
      AFTER A LOT OF TRY'S AND MANY HOUR OF TRIAL AND ERROR I FOUND THE PROBLEM A SLOW COMPUTER WITH OUTDATED DOT NET SOFTWARE. IF I CLICKED ON THE DESKTOP ICON "V4 CHAT" IT TOOK SO LONG TO COME UP IT WOULD CRASH AND THEN THE TNC WOULD LOAD BUT WOULD NOT TRANSMIT FROM THE CHAT LINE OR SEND A ARQ CALL. SO I WENT INTO THE FOLDER AND PLACED EACH PROGRAM ON MY DESKTOP AS SEPARATE ICONS. THING IS I MUST BRING UP THE TNC FIRST THEN THE V4 CHAT AFTERWORD BEFORE THE PROGRAM WILL WORK .. A DIRTY WAY TO GET THE PROGRAM TO WORK BUT IT IS NOW WORKING.. IT WORKS BOTH ARQ AND FEC SO GO FIGURE.. ANY IDEAS ANYONE TO FIX IT BUT NOW I CAN GET BACK ON THE AIR.
    • Dr Fred Hambrecht
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25 6:40 PM

        How much memory do you have on your computer?

        Fred W4JLE

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26 6:57 AM
          My experience with computers indicates that slow response usually means not enough memory or you just have too many processes running.

          For XP and XP Pro you need 750Mb for decent response
          For Windows 7, you should have at least 2 Gb of memory...

          Even an old computer can get a boost by adding more memory; memory is very cheap now; I bought 1Gb of used memory for $15.00 at a local computer store a month ago.

          73, Bernie