Is there a LINUX version ?

  • g3zxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2012
      Hi All,

      As you might have already guessed, I run LINUX. Specifically MINT 12, which is basically a derivation of Ubuntu.

      Very NEW to the group, so I'm very sorry if I'm going over old ground, or I've missed something.

      I've had a quick search through the messages, and found a couple of references to Linux, but not been able to determine if there is a Linux variant.

      I note that there is no specific download for it.

      Is there a Linux version ?

      Is anyone working on a Linux version ?

      Is it not possible to migrate it to Linux ?

      Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated.

      Cheers & 73's
      Dave, G3ZXX.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2012
        Dave,

        There is currently no Linux version though I have shared the Microsoft VB.NET 2010 source with a Linux developer.  The issue is it is a significant task to 1) Convert the V4 TNC to Linux and verify it is a correct implementation of the V4 Protocol and 2) Create a Linux based client like V4Chat to use the TNC.  Mac users have had success using Parallels on late model Apples but that doesn’t apply to Linux.  If there are SERIOUS (read skilled and committed!) Linux developers that want to work with the VB.NET source I will be happy to send it to them and help some but I don’t have the time to run a DSP programming school and I insist that any porting effort be supported so Linux users are not left with unsupported programs.

        Rick Muething, KN6KB

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18, 2012
          Hi Rick,

          Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

          I look forward to reading that someone with significantly more skills than I have, having taken up the challenge, at some point.

          If anyone does take on the task, I'd be more than happy to get involved with any testing that may be needed.

          Cheers & 73's
          Dave, G3ZXX.

          > Dave,
          >
          > There is currently no Linux version though I have shared the Microsoft VB.NET 2010 source with a Linux developer. The issue is it is a significant task to 1) Convert the V4 TNC to Linux and verify it is a correct implementation of the V4 Protocol and 2) Create a Linux based client like V4Chat to use the TNC. Mac users have had success using Parallels on late model Apples but that doesn’t apply to Linux. If there are SERIOUS (read skilled and committed!) Linux developers that want to work with the VB.NET source I will be happy to send it to them and help some but I don’t have the time to run a DSP programming school and I insist that any porting effort be supported so Linux users are not left with unsupported programs.
          >
          > Rick Muething, KN6KB

        • kc2axu
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2012
            I to would love to hear someone came out with a version for linux. I hate having to switch computers and radios every time I want to go from FLdigi to V-4, both are great programs. My problem is that my main shack computer is a Dell Optiplex SX-280 running Ubuntu 11.04 which beats MS Windows for speed and versatility & speed... So having a V-4 program for Linux would be the cats meow...

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2012
              Dave,

              I am willing to work with any serious Linux developer by sharing the VB.NET 2010 source and helping with development questions.  What is needed however is committed (I would estimate about 3-6 man months required if the programmer can read the VB.NET and has some DSP experience). But another important requirement is a commitment for on-going support which is never trivial on these complex evolving DSP programs.

              I don’t have the time or Linux experience to do the Linux port myself but I am willing to help, and encourage.

              Rick KN6KB, Author of V4 and WINMOR

              --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "g3zxx" <g3zxx@...> wrote:

              > Hi Rick,

              Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

              > I look forward to
              reading that someone with significantly more skills than I have, having taken up the challenge, at some point.

              > If anyone does take on the task,
              I'd be more than happy to get involved with any testing that may be needed.

              > Cheers & 73's
              > Dave, G3ZXX.

              No virus found in this message.