MemSet590 -- Managing TS-590S memory settings with a spreadsheet

  • Ian Wade G3NRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2011
      The memories in the Kenwood TS-590S can be very useful in all kinds of
      operational situations, but setting them up through the front panel can
      be a slow process -- after a dozen or so, you rapidly lose the will to
      live!

      Well, when writing some Excel VBA code recently to handle serial I/O
      ports, it occurred to me that it should be possible to communicate
      between the radio and an Excel spreadsheet. The result is MemSet590.

      With MemSet590, you can set up an Excel spreadsheet with the settings
      for all the 110 memories in the radio, then click on the Upload button
      to transfer these settings to the radio. In the opposite direction, you
      can click on the Download button, to transfer all the radio's memory
      settings to the spreadsheet.

      Working with the spreadsheet is very simple. No knowledge of Excel is
      required -- you simply fill out the boxes. You will choose most of the
      settings through dropdown lists, so very little typing is necessary.
      There is comprehensive error checking to make sure you don't attempt to
      upload invalid data to the radio. Also, you can print out the
      spreadsheet on a couple of sheets of paper, to give you a hardcopy
      record of all the settings.

      MemSet590 is a .XLS program that runs under Microsoft Excel. To install
      the program:
      1. Create a dedicated folder on your PC -- for example, C:\MemSet590.

      2. Go to the TS-590S Resources Page:

      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm

      3. Scroll down to the "TOOLS" section, then click on the "MemSet590"
      link, to download the MemSet590 zip file.

      4. Unzip this file into your dedicated folder. This folder will now
      contain a .PDF documentation file and the MemSet590 .XLS file.

      5. Read the .PDF documentation for an explanation of how to run the
      program.

      MemSet590 isn't a program that you will run very often, but when you
      need it, it will save a large amount of time and effort. I hope you find
      it useful.

      (And it has arrived just in time for U.S. users to set up their new 60m
      channel allocations!)

      (And just what you need for V4!)

      P.S. I am now working on a version of the program for the Kenwood
      TS-2000. Unfortunately I don't have access to a 2000 at the moment, so I
      will be looking for some beta testers who do have the hardware. If you
      would like to help, please contact me off list: g3nrw-radio@...

      Ian, G3NRW