Re: [V4Protocol] Using V4Chat and V4 TNC on the Mac?

  • Jerry Curry
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
      Ken,

      I run Parallels on my i7 iMac and on my i5 Mac PowerBook.  I have XP installed on both machines.  V4 runs just fine on both.  Also run Airmail and RMS Express.    Even my RMS software runs OK.    I've run the RMS on it for a few hours  when I had to change a power supply  in the HP machine that the RMS normally runs on.   I also run MixW2,  WinPSKe, and a few other windows based programs on the XP side.  Good thing is many of those don't need access to the internet to function.   I don't run any anti-virus software on either OS but I'm careful not to access the internet with the XP side running.

      As for dealing with the quirks of Microsoft…. I've had to stumble around a bit but feel somewhat comfortable…by no means an expert.

      Take another look at it before you throw in the towel.  It's a good opportunity to have your cake and eat it too!

      73,
      Jerry
      KL7EDK

      On Nov 16, 2011, at 5:29 AM, WA8JXM wrote:

      If you install Parallels, I believe you also have to install a copy of the Microsoft operating system ($$$), and learning to live with it, plus start worrying about virus protection, etc.

      Personally, I am not interested in going that route, it's more trouble than it's worth....

      I went to a Mac because I wanted to avoid all the Microsoft hassles.

      73, Ken WA8JXM

      On Nov 16, 2011, at 8:11 AM, Rick Muething wrote:

      I have had a number of requests about if/how to run V4Chat and the V4 TNC on a Mac.

      I am aware of at least one successful installation using Parallels  http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ .
      This works for late model Mac’s using Intel’s Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon  processors.

      If anyone out there has had success with this or other emulator type programs please post your experience. I will combine into an expanded document and post to the reflector.

      Thanks,