Using V4Chat and V4 TNC on the Mac?

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
      I have had a number of requests about if/how to run V4Chat and the V4 TNC on a Mac.

      I am aware of at least one successful installation using Parallels  http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ .
      This works for late model Mac’s using Intel’s Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon  processors.

      If anyone out there has had success with this or other emulator type programs please post your experience. I will combine into an expanded document and post to the reflector.

      Thanks,

      Rick KN6KB
    • WA8JXM
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
        If you install Parallels, I believe you also have to install a copy of the Microsoft operating system ($$$), and learning to live with it, plus start worrying about virus protection, etc.

        Personally, I am not interested in going that route, it's more trouble than it's worth....

        I went to a Mac because I wanted to avoid all the Microsoft hassles.

        73, Ken WA8JXM

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
          Understood Ken...but there just doesn’t seem to be any hams willing or capable of translating the V4Chat and V4 TNC .NET code to the Mac so Parallels is an option to having nothing.  Programmers (and unfortunately virus writers too) usually write code for Windows first because it has such a large share of the market...basic economics.

          I can’t justify the expense of a Mac, Mac Development tools, and the time required for a program (V4Chat/V4 TNC) that is free.  It would sure help if Apple supplied productive, low cost OS, development tools, and programs for 501C3 groups like Microsoft does.

          Rick KN6KB

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011

            Thanks for the comments.  I'm not complaining, just documenting my viewpoint.

            Maybe someday if I upgrade the rig to something with CAT control I'll be forced to buy a Windows machine.     Yes, Apple is a bit insular in their outlook.   But things have been worse:  when the Mac was first introduced, developers had to buy a Lisa machine ($10K) to do any Mac development!

            73, Ken WA8JXM

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
              Ken,

              I run Parallels on my i7 iMac and on my i5 Mac PowerBook.  I have XP installed on both machines.  V4 runs just fine on both.  Also run Airmail and RMS Express.    Even my RMS software runs OK.    I've run the RMS on it for a few hours  when I had to change a power supply  in the HP machine that the RMS normally runs on.   I also run MixW2,  WinPSKe, and a few other windows based programs on the XP side.  Good thing is many of those don't need access to the internet to function.   I don't run any anti-virus software on either OS but I'm careful not to access the internet with the XP side running.

              As for dealing with the quirks of Microsoft…. I've had to stumble around a bit but feel somewhat comfortable…by no means an expert.

              Take another look at it before you throw in the towel.  It's a good opportunity to have your cake and eat it too!

              73,
              Jerry
              KL7EDK