Sorry if this is a dumb question...Mac software?

  • WA8JXM
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 15, 2011
      I first heard about V4 last night while in QSO with a station. He told me that it was "available for many computers", so I found and joined the group to find out more.

      However, from what I see looking at the files section, it's only available for Windows. Is that correct?

      I'm running a Macintosh.

      73, Ken WA8JXM
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2011
        Ken,

        The V4 TNC and V4 Chat are written for Windows. I have heard however of successful operation on recent Mac’s using Parallel
        http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/  This is a fairly recent and efficient program that has been reported to work well on recent Macs on this forum. I think it is fairly reasonable at about $79.

        Perhaps some V4 Mac users can comment.

        Rick KN6KB

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 15, 2011

          HI ALL WE JUST WORKED V31AE (ROBERT) ON 28073 @151856Z WITH A DIPOLE AND ABT 75 W HIS SCORE WAS 80/29 HERE IN GREENWOOD, IN. ED WD9DVA

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 15, 2011
            Ed,

            Do you know if he was using the Mac with Parallel or some other solution?

            Rick

            Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:02 PM

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 15, 2011

              Nope I kept it short just like anyother contest. We exchanged names and qth, I gave Bob the score from my window 80 something/29, he gave me a 5/9. That was it. 73 Ed

              Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:02 PM

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
                I have had a number of requests about if/how to run V4Chat and the V4 TNC on a Mac.

                I am aware of at least one successful installation using Parallels  http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ .
                This works for late model Mac’s using Intel’s Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon  processors.

                If anyone out there has had success with this or other emulator type programs please post your experience. I will combine into an expanded document and post to the reflector.

                Thanks,

                Rick KN6KB
              • WA8JXM
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
                  If you install Parallels, I believe you also have to install a copy of the Microsoft operating system ($$$), and learning to live with it, plus start worrying about virus protection, etc.

                  Personally, I am not interested in going that route, it's more trouble than it's worth....

                  I went to a Mac because I wanted to avoid all the Microsoft hassles.

                  73, Ken WA8JXM

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
                    Understood Ken...but there just doesn’t seem to be any hams willing or capable of translating the V4Chat and V4 TNC .NET code to the Mac so Parallels is an option to having nothing.  Programmers (and unfortunately virus writers too) usually write code for Windows first because it has such a large share of the market...basic economics.

                    I can’t justify the expense of a Mac, Mac Development tools, and the time required for a program (V4Chat/V4 TNC) that is free.  It would sure help if Apple supplied productive, low cost OS, development tools, and programs for 501C3 groups like Microsoft does.

                    Rick KN6KB

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011

                      Thanks for the comments.  I'm not complaining, just documenting my viewpoint.

                      Maybe someday if I upgrade the rig to something with CAT control I'll be forced to buy a Windows machine.     Yes, Apple is a bit insular in their outlook.   But things have been worse:  when the Mac was first introduced, developers had to buy a Lisa machine ($10K) to do any Mac development!

                      73, Ken WA8JXM

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
                        Ken,

                        I run Parallels on my i7 iMac and on my i5 Mac PowerBook.  I have XP installed on both machines.  V4 runs just fine on both.  Also run Airmail and RMS Express.    Even my RMS software runs OK.    I've run the RMS on it for a few hours  when I had to change a power supply  in the HP machine that the RMS normally runs on.   I also run MixW2,  WinPSKe, and a few other windows based programs on the XP side.  Good thing is many of those don't need access to the internet to function.   I don't run any anti-virus software on either OS but I'm careful not to access the internet with the XP side running.

                        As for dealing with the quirks of Microsoft…. I've had to stumble around a bit but feel somewhat comfortable…by no means an expert.

                        Take another look at it before you throw in the towel.  It's a good opportunity to have your cake and eat it too!

                        73,
                        Jerry
                        KL7EDK